Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Obituaries

B-Man

137023502_cr.jpg

RIP: M. Emmet Walsh, ‘Blade Runner’ and ‘Blood Simple’ Actor, Dies at 88.

M. Emmet Walsh, a veteran character actor who appeared in more than 150 films including “Blade Runner,” “Blood Simple” and “Knives Out” and played Dermot Mulroney’s dad in “My Best Friend’s Wedding,” has died.

His manager Sandy Joseph confirmed that he died Tuesday in Vermont. He was 88.

In Ridley Scott’s 1982 “Blade Runner,” Walsh was Harrison Ford’s LAPD boss, while he played the vicious private detective Loren Visser in the Coen brothers directing debut “Blood Simple.” Wearing a sickly yellow suit, Pauline Kael said he was the film’s “only colorful performer. He lays on the loathsomeness, but he gives it a little twirl — a sportiness.”

His other roles included the corrupt sheriff in the 1986 horror film “Critters” and a small role as a security guard in “Knives Out.”

Walsh appeared in a string of memorable 1970s films, including “Little Big Man” with Dustin Hoffman, “What’s Up, Doc?” with Ryan O’Neal and Barbra Streisand, “Slap Shot” with Paul Newman and “The Jerk” with Steve Martin.

The prolific actor with the hangdog face and trademark paunch went on to appear in “Fletch,” “Back to School,” “Raising Arizona” and “Twilight.”

Film critic Roger Ebert created the “Stanton-Walsh Rule,” which held that no movie featuring either Harry Dean Stanton or M. Emmet Walsh in a supporting role can be altogether bad, though he admitted it wasn’t an infallible rule.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Joe-Lieberman-obit-fhpw-superJumbo.jpg?q

Joseph I. Lieberman, Senator and Vice Presidential Candidate, Dies at 82

He served four terms in the Senate from Connecticut before Al Gore chose him as his running mate in the 2000 election. He was the first Jewish candidate on a major-party ticket.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/27/us/politics/joseph-i-lieberman-dead.html

A patriot, a good man who always looked for compromise, and a staunch defender of Israel.

Too bad more senators aren't like him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Fansince88
7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

He served four terms in the Senate from Connecticut before Al Gore chose him as his running mate in the 2000 election. He was the first Jewish candidate on a major-party ticket.

A patriot, a good man who always looked for compromise, and a staunch defender of Israel.

Dead?

KD in CA
44 minutes ago, B-Man said:

From an era where both sides consisted of much higher quality people than today.

By far the best Senator from CT in the 40+ years I lived there.   RIP

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
20 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

No, my reply was that he wished more Senators were like him. 

Do you realize that I can report this to the Secret Service, and under the current administration have you arrested for treason for threatening the President?

• O Rly 2

Fansince88
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Do you realize that I can report this to the Secret Service, and under the current administration have you arrested for treason for threatening the President?

Ok....and?

• Wow 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

Ok....and?

Just saying...we live in a shit society where your joke can be willfully and easily interpreted as a threat to a sitting President who was a former Senator.

Fansince88
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Just saying...we live in a shit society where your joke can be willfully and easily interpreted as a threat to a sitting President who was a former Senator.

My 'joke' as you put it was a question. Questioning the intentions of the original statement. Not a statement made by myself. 

• Like 2

Uncle Joe
2 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

My 'joke' as you put it was a question. Questioning the intentions of the original statement. Not a statement made by myself. 

Plausible deniability. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Does not at all change my point.

Fansince88
8 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Does not at all change my point.

Point taken. 

Sure,  you two throw me under the bus. . . . . . . . . . . .  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

• Haha 2

Fansince88
8 hours ago, B-Man said:

Sure,  you two throw me under the bus. . . . . . . . . . . .  Thanks.

Sorry bro!

• Haha 2

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, B-Man said:

I liked him as the DI in An Officer and a Gentleman.   

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Fansince88
3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I liked him as the DI in An Officer and a Gentleman.   

Really great actor. Rest in piece jr!