Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Quarterback Carousel 2022 (new year starts on pg. 53)

snafu

11 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

As a non-gambler, I have a tremendously stupid question: what's better, higher or lower numbers?

Feel free to call me an idiot when you answer...as long as you answer.

Nanker is right. The higher the number, the longer the odds.

I am a non-gambler as well, and one thing I don't understand is when the numbers have a "-" sign in front of them, such as -196. If you bet a hundred and win, do you then owe the book $196?

I guess we're both idiots.

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Nanker is right. The higher the number, the longer the odds.

I am a non-gambler as well, and one thing I don't understand is when the numbers have a "-" sign in front of them, such as -196. If you bet a hundred and win, do you then owe the book $196?

I guess we're both idiots.

I’m not a bettor. The negative and positive numbers are for favorites and underdogs when people want to bet games “straight-up” without the point spread (moneyline bets). To bet a favorite you would need to risk more money in your bet, depending on how big a favorite they are.  A -196 number means that you have to bet $196 to win $100. If you win, you get your $196 back plus $100 in winnings. A +196 number means that team is an underdog and you only need to put up $100 to win the $196 (plus your bet). 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 11/16/2021 at 5:35 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

As a non-gambler, I have a tremendously stupid question: what's better, higher or lower numbers?

Feel free to call me an idiot when you answer...as long as you answer.

I'm an idiot! How would I know?