Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Quarterback Carousel 2022 (new year starts on pg. 53)

snafu

1 minute ago, Ann said:

That is a bad number. He's simply not someone who is going to put a team on his back and carry them to a win. Doesn't make him a bad QB, but he is not elite. And do you stick with a guy - and pay him $40M a year - who isn't elite?

I've always had a problem with him because he's not in good athletic shape.  It flat out tells me he's never going to work hard enough at his game to be an elite player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I've always had a problem with him because he's not in good athletic shape.  It flat out tells me he's never going to work hard enough at his game to be an elite player.

I really want him to work out, primarily because I've always felt something of a kindred (losing) spirit with Browns fans, and watching the Bills and Browns suddenly be relevant at the same time was cool.

But the more I watch him play, the more I realize that his best assets are his commercials. No matter how bad he plays, I still crack up at his book club meeting and getting Alice Cooper's Amazon package by mistake.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

I really want him to work out, primarily because I've always felt something of a kindred (losing) spirit with Browns fans, and watching the Bills and Browns suddenly be relevant at the same time was cool.

But the more I watch him play, the more I realize that his best assets are his commercials. No matter how bad he plays, I still crack up at his book club meeting and getting Alice Cooper's Amazon package by mistake.

I agree with all of that.  I'm just glad we got who we got in that draft.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Ann said:

That is a bad number. He's simply not someone who is going to put a team on his back and carry them to a win. Doesn't make him a bad QB, but he is not elite. And do you stick with a guy - and pay him $40M a year - who isn't elite?

This just seems like the state of the QB position.  Once you get a guy who doesn't suck, but may not be elite (however that is defined), he's going to get overpaid.  Mayfield is still pretty young and has a lot of football ahead of him.  Besides, who else is coming down the road, draft-wise?

I'm not a college football fan, but from what I can gather, colleges don't run pro type offenses and do not usually produce pro ready QBs.  It's very hit or miss when drafting a QB.  I personally don't think the Browns missed; it is just Mayfield may not be quite as good as first thought and/or may take a little longer to be the QB they need.

Here's something to consider: would you rather have Mayfield or Lamar Jackson?  Imagine the thought of potentially paying Lamar $40M+/yr to make dumb decisions and have to dig himself out the rest of the game to pull off a win.  I wouldn't want to be John Harbaugh right now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Here's something to consider: would you rather have Mayfield or Lamar Jackson?  Imagine the thought of potentially paying Lamar $40M+/yr to make dumb decisions and have to dig himself out the rest of the game to pull off a win.  I wouldn't want to be John Harbaugh right now.

Harbaugh is in a no win situation, he almost has to sign Jackson. If he doesn't, the SJW brigade is going to crucify him.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

36 minutes ago, Core Four said:

The Lamar Jackson situation is tough. Excellent athlete, better QB than expected. Is he an elite QB though? If not, is he willing to put in the work to become elite? Can he become elite?

I'd pay Jackson before Mayfield, but would not want to be the one having to make that $40M/year decision on either one of them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Harbaugh is in a no win situation, he almost has to sign Jackson. If he doesn't, the SJW brigade is going to crucify him.

This is the truth.  I'd say pretty much every major sports network is expecting the Ravens to sign Lamar to a big contract.

21 minutes ago, Ann said:

The Lamar Jackson situation is tough. Excellent athlete, better QB than expected. Is he an elite QB though? If not, is he willing to put in the work to become elite? Can he become elite?

I'd pay Jackson before Mayfield, but would not want to be the one having to make that $40M/year decision on either one of them.

I think Lamar has his own style, he will never become Tom Brady.  If I'm Harbaugh, I'm really hoping Lamar makes better decisions and takes care of the ball.  To me, that is his biggest draw back, Lamar can be very careless with the ball.  He's an excellent athlete, but not a great QB.  I am certain people can get smarter and learn lessons, but did Lamar learn those lessons, and has he had a challenge/trial big enough to cause him to learn those lessons?  I'm not so sure with the media fawning all over Lamar no matter how he played, he is rarely criticized. 

To the second point, I'm the opposite.  I'd pay Mayfield before I pay Lamar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

This is the truth.  I'd say pretty much every major sports network is expecting the Ravens to sign Lamar to a big contract.

I think Lamar has his own style, he will never become Tom Brady.  If I'm Harbaugh, I'm really hoping Lamar makes better decisions and takes care of the ball.  To me, that is his biggest draw back, Lamar can be very careless with the ball.  He's an excellent athlete, but not a great QB.  I am certain people can get smarter and learn lessons, but did Lamar learn those lessons, and has he had a challenge/trial big enough to cause him to learn those lessons?  I'm not so sure with the media fawning all over Lamar no matter how he played, he is rarely criticized. 

So, you don't expect Lamar to come out of the closet? 

2 hours ago, Core Four said:

I love how we can sit here arguing which QB other teams should gamble on when we don't have to worry about such things, because we have

Josh-Allen-Hurdle.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Core Four said:

I really appreciate Lamar's athleticism, but as we've discussed here (prior to you joining the board), he's a couple of lucky bounces away from being 4-5 this season. I'm not saying they didn't deserve the wins. I'm just suggesting it's not sustainable, and as fun as he is to watch, if you can stop their runs and make him throw, he's not the superstar the NFL continually tries to make him out to be. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

16 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I really appreciate Lamar's athleticism, but as we've discussed here (prior to you joining the board), he's a couple of lucky bounces away from being 4-5 this season. I'm not saying they didn't deserve the wins. I'm just suggesting it's not sustainable, and as fun as he is to watch, if you can stop their runs and make him throw, he's not the superstar the NFL continually tries to make him out to be. 

Right.  And before Lamar, the CBS and FOX pre-game and halftime show analysts went nuts over Cam Newton.  They love the athletic QB who is exciting to watch, makes things happen with their legs, yet is subpar throwing.

1 hour ago, devnull said:

I love how we can sit here arguing which QB other teams should gamble on when we don't have to worry about such things, because we have

Josh-Allen-Hurdle.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Yes...Super Josh!  I'm really glad I'm not John Harbaugh and Ozzie Newsome.

Crap Throwing Clavin
44 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Right.  And before Lamar, the CBS and FOX pre-game and halftime show analysts went nuts over Cam Newton.  They love the athletic QB who is exciting to watch, makes things happen with their legs, yet is subpar throwing.

And Kaepernick, and Vick, and McNabb.  And Flutie.

And Russel Wilson...except he can actually throw.

Don't ever remember people going that gaga over Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, or Steve McNair, though.

41 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

And Kaepernick, and Vick, and McNabb.  And Flutie.

And Russel Wilson...except he can actually throw.

Don't ever remember people going that gaga over Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, or Steve McNair, though.

Good points.  I'm surprised more aren't going gaga over Kyler Murray, who is kind of similar to Steve McNair, and having a good year.

Flutie?  He was more of a flash in the pan.  I don't recall a lot of noise made about him, but my memory is a bit hazy since that was a while ago.

On 11/15/2021 at 10:56 AM, Ann said:

yes 

if you're the Browns

59 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

As a non-gambler, I have a tremendously stupid question: what's better, higher or lower numbers?

Feel free to call me an idiot when you answer...as long as you answer.

Right. I don’t know doodle either, but if I interpreted this video correctly, a $100 bet on Josh would yield a $250 payout. A similar bet on the other players would yield a lot more $. Ergo, it seems Josh is more favored by the betting masters.