Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Snowpocalypse - 2021 Edition

GG1

How badly are you getting hit?   We're up to 10" so far, with much more on the way.  Looks like a double clear with the snowblower.

I always hate storms that come in from Southeast.  This one should be a doozy, with two fronts colliding in NJ & NY and hanging out for 36 hrs.

BTW, saw this on Accuweather, and was surprised that the record snowfall in Philly airport was only 3" - that can't be true?

The cities of Philadelphia and Baltimore both saw daily maximum snowfall records fall on Sunday as totals cleared previous record highs set decades ago. In Philly, 3.4 inches of snow was recorded at Philadelphia International Airport, breaking a record of 3 inches previously set in 1949, according to the NWS. Baltimore’s daily record of 3.7 inches had stood since 1985 but was also broken on Sunday after 3.8 inches were recorded at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, GG1 said:

How badly are you getting hit?   We're up to 10" so far, with much more on the way.  Looks like a double clear with the snowblower.

I always hate storms that come in from Southeast.  This one should be a doozy, with two fronts colliding in NJ & NY and hanging out for 36 hrs.

BTW, saw this on Accuweather, and was surprised that the record snowfall in Philly airport was only 3" - that can't be true?

The cities of Philadelphia and Baltimore both saw daily maximum snowfall records fall on Sunday as totals cleared previous record highs set decades ago. In Philly, 3.4 inches of snow was recorded at Philadelphia International Airport, breaking a record of 3 inches previously set in 1949, according to the NWS. Baltimore’s daily record of 3.7 inches had stood since 1985 but was also broken on Sunday after 3.8 inches were recorded at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport.

Radar showed the rain/snow line was hovering just around Philly this morning and it was moving slowly north.  At that point we had 7” on Long Island.  Good powder since the temp was around 23 all night. I’m about to go back out to clear another 3 or 4  of 30 degree snow before the slush starts coming down and really getting heavy. 

I hate winter at sea level. The snow always turns into wet beach sand by the end of the storm. 

We're over 17" now.  Rarely see radar like this.  It hasn't changed since this morning - the two stormfronts are literally stuck directly over NY tristate and haven't moved yet.

To make it more fun, the drive cable broke on the snow blower.

• Wow 2
  • Cheers 1

It amazes me that every year there is a Nor’easter that drops about a foot of snow on the Accela corridor and every single year the media hyperventilates as if this is a once in a lifetime Armageddon. 

that being said...stay safe everyone!

1 hour ago, GG1 said:

We're over 17" now.  Rarely see radar like this.  It hasn't changed since this morning - the two stormfronts are literally stuck directly over NY tristate and haven't moved yet.

To make it more fun, the drive cable broke on the snow blower.

That stinks.

Have had to clear over 2' of snow from our 450' long driveway by hand on 2 occasions due 1 time to the garden tractor having the seat safety interlock breaking & not figuring that out before we absolutely had to get out of the driveway and the other time due to a 40's vintage Ford tractor being persnickity.  Not fun.  Hopefully, yours is shorter.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That stinks.

Have had to clear over 2' of snow from our 450' long driveway by hand on 2 occasions due 1 time to the garden tractor having the seat safety interlock breaking & not figuring that out before we absolutely had to get out of the driveway and the other time due to a 40's vintage Ford tractor being persnickity.  Not fun.  Hopefully, yours is shorter.

Definitely shorter 🙂

They're now expecting the snow to continue for 24 more hours with the storms happy to hang out over us.

Luckily I got most of the first pass done before the cable snapped.  Hopefully the shops will have the part in stock for a standard MTB.

32 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Definitely shorter 🙂

They're now expecting the snow to continue for 24 more hours with the storms happy to hang out over us.

Luckily I got most of the first pass done before the cable snapped.  Hopefully the shops will have the part in stock for a standard MTB.

Good luck. I’d say we topped off at about 16”. Now rain and maybe a dusting tomorrow. 

My go-to shovel broke and I had to use the backup.  It is amazing the difference between a shovel I like and the backup.

I walked the dog just now and there’s still a lot of snow on the roads and I nearly hit the deck three times from ice. I’m not looking forward to driving into Brooklyn tomorrow. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, GG1 said:

🙂🙂🙂 In Buffalo, if it was rain it would be a mist. Maybe  ½" all day.  Enough to dirty the windshield  following someone on the toad. Just have the wipers on the lowest setting. Very nice winter so far. Lake Erie is at 32, but hasn't froze over yet.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wacka said:

🙂🙂🙂 In Buffalo, if it was rain it would be a mist. Maybe  ½" all day.  Enough to dirty the windshield  following someone on the toad. Just have the wipers on the lowest setting. Very nice winter so far. Lake Erie is at 32, but hasn't froze over yet.

I hope you didn't curse us!