Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

[Edited: AFCE Champs] The Bills current chances of making the playoffs ...

Ann

TtownBillsFan
5 hours ago, Ann said:

Well, the last five minutes of that game were wild. In the end, Baltimore won.

Bills need to do it themselves next week.

The Bills will win the next three, if this (starting) team plays each game.  Now, if we win the next two (DOABLE), do they rest them?  I haven't looked at what is required.  But if we lock it down, I'd hope they'd give some guys a rest, if first-round bye is off the table.  

5 hours ago, Ann said:

Well, the last five minutes of that game were wild. In the end, Baltimore won.

Bills need to do it themselves next week.

I know flying across the country on a short week isn't ideal but I do not want to root for the *Patriots under any circumstances.  Lets clinch this thing on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

TtownBillsFan
8 hours ago, Ann said:

Unless Cleveland gets it together quick, the Bills are not clinching a playoff spot tonight. Yesh

I didn't catch the Monday night game (since we weren't playing, and we CONTROL our destiny)!!!  But I think the two best teams in football, right now, are the Chiefs and the Bills.  And I'll take those odds, straight-up, 50/50!!!  Any given Sunday (or Monday, or whenever they play the AFC Championship)  And I think whichever wins (Bills/Chiefs), for the next 4-5 years, will be playing on Superbowl Sunday 🙂

Edited by TtownBillsFan
To make sure it's known that either the Bills or Chiefs will make it to the SuperBowl over the next 5 years

2 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

The Bills will win the next three, if this (starting) team plays each game.  Now, if we win the next two (DOABLE), do they rest them?  I haven't looked at what is required.  But if we lock it down, I'd hope they'd give some guys a rest, if first-round bye is off the table.  

I kind of doubt we rest starters week 17 at this point. Maybe if we lost to Pittsburgh because that would essentially lock us into the 3 seed at best, but now even if a bye is off the table by week 17 the 2 seed will still likely be in play. The 2 seed is important even without a first round bye because it guarantees home field through at least least the second round, with a decent shot at home field for the AFCCG if someone else can upset the #1 seed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Amazing write up Comrade Kay. :classic_smile:

Can you post the Neat Defense stat key when you recover? 

My guess - pts against, total yds against, pass yds, rush yds

Beer__League__Hockey
3 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

I didn't catch the Monday night game (since we weren't playing, and we CONTROL our destiny)!!!  But I think the two best teams in football, right now, are the Chiefs and the Bills.  And I'll take those odds, straight-up, 50/50!!!  Any given Sunday (or Monday, or whenever they play the AFC Championship)  And I think whichever wins (Bills/Chiefs), for the next 4-5 years, will be playing on Superbowl Sunday 🙂

I hear Chris Berman is picking the Bills vs 49ers in the SB.

• Haha 2
  • FANtastic 1

2 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

A formal summary of the playoff landscape:

The Bills can clinch the AFC East division title with any single win on their remaining schedule OR any single loss from the Dolphins. So that would be any of five favorable outcomes, i.e. the Bills have about a 97% chance of winning the division for the first time since 1995 (only the Browns and Lions have longer active droughts…yes, Lake Erie is cursed).

But if the Bills somehow don’t win the division, they can still make the playoffs with any of 4 outcomes:

1. The Ravens lose at least one more game.

2. The Colts lose at least any two of their remaining three games.

3. The Browns lose at least any two of their remaining three games.

4. The Titans lose all three of their remaining games.

So the odds are >99% of the Bills making the playoffs twice in a row for the first time since 1998-1999. Our attention should really be focused on breaking a couple other embarrassing droughts. The Bills haven’t won a playoff game since 1995 (only the Browns, Lions, and Bengals have longer active streaks). They also haven’t made it to a conference final since 1993 (only the Browns, Lions, Bengals, WFT, and Dolphins have longer active streaks). When following the scores in other games, I’ll continue to preach thinking more along the lines of favorable playoff matchups than playoff seed clinching. COVID-19 has rendered home field advantage much less important. The one exception is the first seed (and ok…the fourth too), though it’s pretty unlikely that the Bills can catch KC since they are two games back and lose their head-to-head tiebreaker.

Here are the nine relevant Week 15 games: Bills at Broncos, **Patriots at Dolphins, Chiefs at Saints, Chargers at Raiders, Steelers at Bengals, Browns at Giants, Jags at Ravens, Lions at Titans, Texans at Colts.

And the seven relevant Week 16 games: Bills at **Patriots, Dolphins at Raiders, Falcons at Chiefs, Colts at Steelers, Browns at Jets, Giants at Ravens, Titans at Packers.

And the seven relevant Week 17 games: Dolphins at Bills, Chargers at Chiefs, Raiders at Broncos, Steelers at Browns, Ravens at Bengals, Titans at Texans, Jags at Colts.

The Jets, Chargers, Bengals, Texans, and Jags are officially eliminated. The **Patriots and Broncos are basically done too. And because I like wasting my valuable time on pointless stuff, I will now re-rank my “Buffalo vs. AFC playoff matchup favorability list” following the conclusion of Week 14. “Quality” refers to teams with records above 0.500. “Neat stats” are league-wide rankings in this order: points, yards, rushing yards per carry, passer rating.

X. Bills:

Quality Wins (5): Dolphins, Raiders, Steelers, Seahawks, Rams

Quality Losses (3): Chiefs, Titans, Cardinals

Neat Offense Stats: 9, 10, 24, 7

Neat Defense Stats: 15, 20, 27, 14

1. Raiders:

Quality Wins (3): Chiefs, Browns, Saints

Quality Losses (4): Bills, Chiefs, Colts, Bucs

Neat Offense Stats: 11, 14, 18, 9

Neat Defense Stats: 30, 25, 30, 13

2. Dolphins:

Quality Wins (2): Rams, Cardinals

Quality Losses (3): Bills, Chiefs, Seahawks

Neat Offense Stats: 15, 27, 32, 17

Neat Defense Stats: 2, 18, 25, 3

3. Browns:

Quality Wins (2): Titans, Colts

Quality Losses (4): Raiders, Steelers, Ravens, Ravens

Neat Offense Stats: 13, 11, 5, 10

Neat Defense Stats: 27, 19, 17, 23

4. Colts:

Quality Wins (3): Raiders, Titans, Packers

Quality Losses (3): Browns, Ravens, Titans

Neat Offense Stats: 5, 9, 23, 11

Neat Defense Stats: 12, 6, 3, 5

5. Steelers:

Quality Wins (4): Browns, Ravens, Ravens, Titans

Quality Losses (1): Bills

Neat Offense Stats: 12, 23, 30, 13

Neat Defense Stats: 1, 3, 12, 1

6. Titans:

Quality Wins (3): Bills, Ravens, Colts

Quality Losses (3): Steelers, Browns, Colts

Neat Offense Stats: 4, 3, 3, 5

Neat Defense Stats: 21, 26, 14, 18

7. Ravens:

Quality Wins (3): Browns, Browns, Colts

Quality Losses (4): Chiefs, Steelers, Steelers, Titans

Neat Offense Stats: 8, 21, 1, 20

Neat Defense Stats: 5, 15, 21, 9

8. Chiefs:

Quality Wins (5): Bills, Dolphins, Raiders, Ravens, Bucs

Quality Losses (1): Raiders

Neat Offense Stats: 2, 1, 10, 2

Neat Defense Stats: 8, 17, 29, 4

Phew…yay I’m done!

Minor nitpick on the Browns observation.  The original incarnation of the Browns were THE team of the NFL during the 1950's and first half of the 1960's.  Had things happened a little differently the Browns and Bills might have met for the SB had one been played following the 1965 season.  The trouble for the Browns have been that they have been mired in failure other than the mid-1980's but have the stain of the fumble and the drive to go with that era.  Bills >>>>> Browns >>>>>>>>> Lions in terms of success since 1960.

• Like 2

Seems we have heard something similar before. But this time it is different...

Cuomo open to Bills Stadium hosting some fans if Buffalo makes playoffs

Gov. Andrew Cuomo floated the idea of opening up Buffalo’s Bills Stadium to a limited number of fans — if the upstate New York team makes it to the NFL playoffs this year.

The governor — an admitted Bills fan — said that decision depends on COVID-19 infection and hospital rates around that time.

“If we’re in the playoffs, if the infection rate is under control and the capacity rate is under control and we come up with a smart, science-based way to do it, I would be all in favor,” Cuomo said at a press conference Friday.

</snip>

I hope he’s banned from ever going to a game at the stadium. He should have to watch Bills games from the lounge areas of nursing homes while not being allowed to wear a mask. 

52 minutes ago, snafu said:

I’ve got a feeling we are going to play the Fish back to back weeks. 

there is only one thing that would be sweeter than crushing the phish in back to back weeks at home.

5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

there is only one thing that would be sweeter than crushing the phish in back to back weeks at home.

The double Fish thing has been done before I think.

And yes, it is sweet, though you hate to play a division opponent three times in one year. Those games get tight. 

• Like 2