Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Random Thoughts

MothersMilk

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, snafu said:

Idiots. Posers.

But you might as well make pens that look fine for those morons, and at the same time make good looking pens that write well for normal people.

That way you’re not cutting off any possible customers (except people who just use basic bic pens and don’t care - but they’re not your customers anyway).

The other thing I learned too is that it's basically a fountain pen culture.  While there's nothing wrong with a good fountain pen - I've made myself a couple, they write like a dream - I found it a bit nutty how many people took an "Eww, rollerball" attitude.  There were guys there who's pens - single, award winning pens - were named by some official body or another (Abalone Dream - https://richardlgreenwald.com/shop/abalone-dream/.  There was another one that was Game of Thrones themed that I wish I could remember the name of - it was a damned impressive piece of work, but serious overkill as a writing instrument.)

I think this guy - https://www.bourbonpens.com/shopbourbon.html - was the only one that didn't have that attitude.  He was also the most approachable, and full of great advice.  Probably not a coincidence.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I think this guy - https://www.bourbonpens.com/shopbourbon.html - was the only one that didn't have that attitude.  He was also the most approachable, and full of great advice.  Probably not a coincidence.

He’s creative.
I also like the key fobs he’s got at the bottom of his page. Good idea. 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
16 minutes ago, snafu said:

He’s creative.
I also like the key fobs he’s got at the bottom of his page. Good idea. 

He uses some of the same kits that I do.  My pen above is the same kit as his cigar pen.

I think I can get the same key fob kits, too, but never looked.  Never had much interest in key fobs.  Did make a desk set with a letter opener for someone once.

Crap Throwing Clavin

Just tried to finish a pen with superglue, which is apparently the finish the pros use.

Glued my gloves together, glued my gloves to the pen, glued my gloves to the lathe, glued my hands to the gloves, glued my hands together, glued my hands to the lathe, glued my hands to the pen, glued the pen to the lathe...try again tomorrow, I guess.  

(How'm I free?  Acetone.  Lots of nail polish remover.)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Just tried to finish a pen with superglue, which is apparently the finish the pros use.

Glued my gloves together, glued my gloves to the pen, glued my gloves to the lathe, glued my hands to the gloves, glued my hands together, glued my hands to the lathe, glued my hands to the pen, glued the pen to the lathe...try again tomorrow, I guess.  

(How'm I free?  Acetone.  Lots of nail polish remover.)

Did it look nice? I have seen that method on Youtube. Seemed to go better there

The Steam client on my PC was cycling thru suggested games.  One of them is called Going Medieval, who banner includes a highlighted Now with Crop Blight

I wonder how many people have been waiting for that update

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Did it look nice? I have seen that method on Youtube. Seemed to go better there

No.  Bumpy and lots of fingerprints.

Problem probably is that I'm using thin CA, which doesn't build up enough of a finish to polish, and thick CA, which builds up too unevenly.  Need to get some medium CA and try that.  And some plastic non-stick bushings - a big part of the problem was having to handle the blank constantly to try to keep the metal bushings from sticking.

I've got to start selling these, too.  This gets to be a pricey hobby, just to create more pens than I can ever use.  Anyone want to buy a pen?

If I get a laser engraver and engrave the Bills logo on them, anyone want to buy one then?  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Problem probably is that I'm using thin CA, which doesn't build up enough of a finish to polish, and thick CA, which builds up too unevenly.  Need to get some medium CA and try that.  And some plastic non-stick bushings - a big part of the problem was having to handle the blank constantly to try to keep the metal bushings from sticking.

I've got to start selling these, too.  This gets to be a pricey hobby, just to create more pens than I can ever use.  Anyone want to buy a pen?

If I get a laser engraver and engrave the Bills logo on them, anyone want to buy one then?  

You could list 'em in the Classifieds, don't cost you anything. 

6 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

As I have said, I have seen it done on larger projects. Many thin layers. One video said to move it to a higher speed and apply while spinning. Not sure how fast you would want to do it with a wood pen. Will be watching in the classified section. 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

As I have said, I have seen it done on larger projects. Many thin layers. One video said to move it to a higher speed and apply while spinning. Not sure how fast you would want to do it with a wood pen. Will be watching in the classified section. 

Some of the instructions I found said to do it fairly slowly, which makes sense, as you want to coat the object, not burnish the CA in to it.  I also found that applying it at high speed made a mess.  Don't think I'll try that again without a face shield.  :facepalm:

Mostly, I think my issue was not having plastic non-stick bushings, and then having to force my steel bushings off the blank (causing me to handle it too much and make a mess.)  Won't try it again until I have UHMW bushings, and medium-weight CA glue.

Live and learn.  Fortunately domestic hardwoods are cheap and easy to experiment on.  Have a high-end fountain pen made of cocobolo waiting for when I can finally do a CA finish properly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Some of the instructions I found said to do it fairly slowly, which makes sense, as you want to coat the object, not burnish the CA in to it.  I also found that applying it at high speed made a mess.  Don't think I'll try that again without a face shield.  :facepalm:

Mostly, I think my issue was not having plastic non-stick bushings, and then having to force my steel bushings off the blank (causing me to handle it too much and make a mess.)  Won't try it again until I have UHMW bushings, and medium-weight CA glue.

Live and learn.  Fortunately domestic hardwoods are cheap and easy to experiment on.  Have a high-end fountain pen made of cocobolo waiting for when I can finally do a CA finish properly.

Ahhh, Yes. I don't use glasses any more. Shield only. Dont want that chemical in your eye! My project is on hold. 1st Granddaughter  and grandchild is due in July. My daughter asked me to build the crib. If I can I plan on doing pictures along the way. Perhaps I will start a post here when that is done with pics through the process. I am thinking I will be using some Maple I got my hands on. Have to wait until my DE Walt planer is back from repair. That's the reason for the holdup. 

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Fansince88 said:

Ahhh, Yes. I don't use glasses any more. Shield only. Dont want that chemical in your eye! My project is on hold. 1st Granddaughter  and grandchild is due in July. My daughter asked me to build the crib. If I can I plan on doing pictures along the way. Perhaps I will start a post here when that is done with pics through the process. I am thinking I will be using some Maple I got my hands on. Have to wait until my DE Walt planer is back from repair. That's the reason for the holdup. 

I'm still building my niece's high-chair.

She just turned 16.  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

Just now, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I'm still building my niece's high-chair.

She just turned 16.  :classic_laugh:

HAHA! Better be sturdy. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin

My most recent creations.

20220412_134123.jpg.6b0269894978264b5f09a7753952a2f3.jpg

From the top: Cocobolo roller ball pen.  Macassar Ebony fountain pen.  Acrylic (dark gray and silver, doesn't show up well in the photo) fountain pen.

And the ebony pen, I turned with my grandfather's old wood-turning tools.  They haven't been touched in almost 40 years, got them from my uncle about 15 years ago, and just decided to try them on that pen. They were sharper, after sitting for 40 years, than my tools were freshly sharpened.  I'm a pretty good hand at sharpening, but the old man, dead for some 40 years, schooled me on what "sharp" really is.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • FANtastic 1

4 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

My most recent creations.

20220412_134123.jpg.6b0269894978264b5f09a7753952a2f3.jpg

From the top: Cocobolo roller ball pen.  Macassar Ebony fountain pen.  Acrylic (dark gray and silver, doesn't show up well in the photo) fountain pen.

And the ebony pen, I turned with my grandfather's old wood-turning tools.  They haven't been touched in almost 40 years, got them from my uncle about 15 years ago, and just decided to try them on that pen. They were sharper, after sitting for 40 years, than my tools were freshly sharpened.  I'm a pretty good hand at sharpening, but the old man, dead for some 40 years, schooled me on what "sharp" really is.

I would venture that steel from 40 years ago is also much more stout than the crap they make today. Your grandfathers tools will undoubtedly hold an edge for a greater period of time.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the economic model we adopted at some point, I wanna say back in the late '70's. That being, built in obsolescence. 

• Like 1