Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Random Thoughts

MothersMilk

Crap Throwing Clavin
27 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I would venture that steel from 40 years ago is also much more stout than the crap they make today. Your grandfathers tools will undoubtedly hold an edge for a greater period of time.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the economic model we adopted at some point, I wanna say back in the late '70's. That being, built in obsolescence. 

My tools are Sheffield steel - still about the best there is.  And after about a half-hour of using my grandfather's, I went back and sharpened my own nearly as well.

Wasn't the steel.  The old man just owned me from beyond the grave.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin

Just had a root canal.  Tooth anatomy so weird, I'm getting written up in a medical journal.  Surgeon said that in 34 years she'd never seen anything like it.  Took FIVE hours.

Still enjoyed it more than work. 

Think it might be time to find a new job.

• Wow 2
  • Haha 1

MothersMilk
2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Just had a root canal.  Tooth anatomy so weird, I'm getting written up in a medical journal.  Surgeon said that in 34 years she'd never seen anything like it.  Took FIVE hours.

Still enjoyed it more than work. 

Think it might be time to find a new job.

It was that complicated that you had to go to a surgeon instead of a dentist?!

Crap Throwing Clavin
57 minutes ago, MothersMilk said:

It was that complicated that you had to go to a surgeon instead of a dentist?!

Dental surgeon.  Dentist referred me - he rapidly determined that he didn't have the equipment to do it himself.

Ironically, it turned out that I have such a mutant tooth that the surgeon had to do the root canal with a combination of old and new techniques - manually filing out the nerve, but using a microscope to see it.  

And it's a seriously mutant tooth.  Abnormally long mesial root, so long that it bends at a 90 degree angle to avoid the mandibular nerve, with a third root branching off it in another direction.  I had TEN (!!!!!) CT scans, just to figure out what the hell was going on with it. God help me if I ever have to have this mutant tooth pulled.  

I’m supposed to throw the first pitch at the Mets/Phillies game tomorrow night. 

Don’t ask me why. I have no idea. Somebody asked and I said yes. I mean, come on! Who would say no to that?!?

My kids are dumbstruck and amused by this. Stay tuned for a recap. 

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 5
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, snafu said:

Don’t ask me why. I have no idea. Somebody asked and I said yes. I mean, come on! Who would say no to that?!?

Terrific !

Careful that you don't throw one "high and tight'   😆

cf82454eb9f228e1f6851efa9680ecb3

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Say what??  How's that happening, that's not quite like 'I got invited to sit in the Citi suite'!

You'll have to post the video.   And yes, you should consider throwing the pitch into the Phillies dugout at Harper.

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Terrific !

Careful that you don't throw one "high and tight'   😆

cf82454eb9f228e1f6851efa9680ecb3

People forget that last time the Mets won the WS, they had four bench clearing brawls that season.

Was always thankful for Kevin Mitchell in those situations.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Say what??  How's that happening, that's not quite like 'I got invited to sit in the Citi suite'!

You'll have to post the video.   And yes, you should consider throwing the pitch into the Phillies dugout at Harper.

I think it is both, actually.

Every year, a company we do a fair amount of business with buys a box and invites a bunch of people.  I think it is probably some extra perk that buy with the box.  I got a text from my friend yesterday and it asked if I wanted to throw out the first pitch. I wouldn't be a human American if I said no.

I have a fleeting thought to make a "Youtube moment", but I want to respect the pastime.  I have no idea what to expect -- or whether this is actually going to go off.  I won't believe it until they put the ball into my hand and tell me to throw it.   We shall see!

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, snafu said:

I think it is both, actually.

Every year, a company we do a fair amount of business with buys a box and invites a bunch of people.  I think it is probably some extra perk that buy with the box.  I got a text from my friend yesterday and it asked if I wanted to throw out the first pitch. I wouldn't be a human American if I said no.

I'd say no. 

And I am American.  :classic_unsure:

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 4/25/2022 at 7:08 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I had TEN (!!!!!) CT scans, just to figure out what the hell was going on with it. 

And by the way, just for @Alaska Darin:

One of the reasons they had so much trouble with the CT is that scanner kept hitting me in the back of my head. 

My head was literally too big for the CT machine.  :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Alaska Darin
37 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

And by the way, just for @Alaska Darin:

One of the reasons they had so much trouble with the CT is that scanner kept hitting me in the back of my head. 

That might be the funniest thing I've ever heard.

2 hours ago, snafu said:

I wouldn't be a human American if I said no.

42 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I'd say no. 

And I am American:classic_unsure:

40 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

On 4/25/2022 at 7:08 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

And it's a seriously mutant tooth.  Abnormally long mesial root, so long that it bends at a 90 degree angle to avoid the mandibular nerve, with a third root branching off it in another direction.  

You're confirming my suspicions.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, snafu said:

That's great. Just throw don't pull a Fauci !!!!

Fauci Pitch GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

At my age I'd go with the eephus pitch.

Eephus Pitch GIF | Gfycat

Whoever's catching, I'm throwing it at the top of his head.  Hopefully it comes in at about chest level. My hand is going to be sweaty, I'm sure.  I'm hoping to sneak over to the resin bag if it's out there.

I'm taking my kid and his friend to the game.  I just want to get the boys down to field level.  They're already excited as hell to go.  They have no idea I'm doing this (my girls know -- they want video).

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, snafu said:

Whoever's catching, I'm throwing it at the top of his head.  Hopefully it comes in at about chest level. My hand is going to be sweaty, I'm sure.  I'm hoping to sneak over to the resin bag if it's out there.

I'm taking my kid and his friend to the game.  I just want to get the boys down to field level.  They're already excited as hell to go.  They have no idea I'm doing this (my girls know -- they want video).

You got this. Take a deep breath, relax and don't overthrow.

OR you could do the Al Hrabosky 😁

Anyways, it sounds like a wonderful time to spend with your children. 

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2