Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 Hurricane Season

MothersMilk

3 hours ago, MothersMilk said:

Are you sure this was remnants... I mean, I believe you but that is kind of odd with just the leftovers.

it was about 40 mph winds., so It had died down by time it got to Albany.Could have been 79. I lived there from 79-81. It was over 40 years ago and my memory is not what it used to be. 

Crap Throwing Clavin

I have no idea how much rain we got from the Ida remnants last night.  But for about 2 hours of rain, my backyard is trashed; our wood pile was washed from the side of the house into the street.  Neighbors had their retaining wall collapse from the runoff.  And two people are missing from an apartment building down the street - basement apartments flooded to the ceiling.

Edit: one missing person found dead - drowned in their basement apartment.  That's insane.  I've never heard of anything like that from a rainstorm.

Edited by Crap Throwing Monkey
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 2

CarpetCrawler

Nearly 8 hours of pouring rain in Rockland County (just NNW of NYC). Lots of local flooding, roads closed, cars submerged, some scuba team rescues even. Luckily i'm safe and sound, but the reservoir next to my neighborhood is more full than i've ever seen it in 30 years. 

Northern NJ and NYC are worse, i heard of one dead in NJ when a 70 year old man tried to walk through a flooded area and was swept away be the current. 

Gonna be a lot of ruined cars scattered around once the water receedes.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
15 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Nearly 8 hours of pouring rain in Rockland County (just NNW of NYC). Lots of local flooding, roads closed, cars submerged, some scuba team rescues even. Luckily i'm safe and sound, but the reservoir next to my neighborhood is more full than i've ever seen it in 30 years. 

Northern NJ and NYC are worse, i heard of one dead in NJ when a 70 year old man tried to walk through a flooded area and was swept away be the current. 

So far, the damage to our house is a minimum of $15k.  Probably going to end up being north of $40k...and we haven't even looked at the foundation yet.

From five inches of rain in 45 minutes.

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

So far, the damage to our house is a minimum of $15k.  Probably going to end up being north of $40k...and we haven't even looked at the foundation yet.

Plus, your rain tax is going to be a killer this year.

19 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

the Long Island expressway through queens was littered with at least 50 abandoned cars this morning.  The Bronx was a total mess, and that’s putting it lightly. Central Park had 3 inches of rain in an hour last night!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

WOW!

Holy crap. 

CarpetCrawler
6 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Oh wow, that is terrible, so sorry to hear that. Where are you? was it from run off? One house near me that is at the base of a mountain literally had its entire driveway undercut and washed away, it looks like a mini grand canyon and there are chunks of asphalt everywhere.

Finally coming up for air.  Everyone got caught by surprise because the projected rain was supposed to be 6" max.  Apparently Ida picked up another storm front through PA and that made the mess.

Crap Throwing Clavin
9 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Oh wow, that is terrible, so sorry to hear that. Where are you? was it from run off? One house near me that is at the base of a mountain literally had its entire driveway undercut and washed away, it looks like a mini grand canyon and there are chunks of asphalt everywhere.

Twinbrook subdivision in Rockville, MD.  I shouldn't complain, because down the street from me people drowned in their apartments.  From a 45 minute rain storm.

Those apartments, Rock Creek burst its banks.  My lot...just too much rain, nowhere to run off, judging by where the debris came from and how it's stacked up.  It was overnight, so I didn't see it, but our storm drain seemed to handle the upstream runoff, but parts of the yard that usually don't flood clearly had several inches of flowing water.  It was a rather stunning amount of water in so short a time.

And north of us seems to have had worse.  I heard Frederick, MD, got seven inches in the same time.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

• 4 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
On 9/2/2021 at 6:07 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Total quote so far is $35k damage.  And just found out today that insurance is paying for nothing...because the sump pumps didn't work.

The sump pumps were fried by sixteen inches of water in the crawlspace.  They didn't cause the flood, they were destroyed by the flood.

Goddamn mother&#%$ing insurance pieces of shit.  When I visit their offices, I'll be sure to wear the t-shirt.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Total quote so far is $35k damage.  And just found out today that insurance is paying for nothing...because the sump pumps didn't work.

The sump pumps were fried by sixteen inches of water in the crawlspace.  They didn't cause the flood, they were destroyed by the flood.

Goddamn mother&#%$ing insurance pieces of shit.  When I visit their offices, I'll be sure to wear the t-shirt.

Should have taken the sump pump insurance policy...

On 10/1/2021 at 4:24 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

You need to hire an adjuster to fight with the insurance company

• 2 months later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
On 10/1/2021 at 4:24 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

FINALLY got this taken care of.  Last of the foundation repair contractors just finished - rebuilt one foundation wall, debris cleanup and mold remediation throughout the crawlspace, re-encapsulated and reinsulated, replaced the sump pumps. 

Three months of fighting the insurance finally got them to admit that yes, we had an actual flood.  Total cost, $50k, and I'm still out of pocket almost $16k.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1

9 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

FINALLY got this taken care of.  Last of the foundation repair contractors just finished - rebuilt one foundation wall, debris cleanup and mold remediation throughout the crawlspace, re-encapsulated and reinsulated, replaced the sump pumps. 

Three months of fighting the insurance finally got them to admit that yes, we had an actual flood.  Total cost, $50k, and I'm still out of pocket almost $16k.

That is terrible. I am glad you got it fixed though.

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Ann said:

That is terrible. I am glad you got it fixed though.

There's actually still more to do - the new sump pumps aren't wired properly, because the electrical in this house is VSF.  Next big job is a heavy up and rewiring the house.

• Wow 1

7 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

There's actually still more to do - the new sump pumps aren't wired properly, because the electrical in this house is VSF.  Next big job is a heavy up and rewiring the house.

It sounds like you have two sumps, a main and back up.

I have a Pump Spy at my properties for peace of mind.

• FANtastic 1