Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills vs Steelers Week 1: The Aftermath

Ann

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Ok, but how can they not have a contingency if the CB doesn't follow the motion man?  Or did Allen fail to execute it?

Bledsoe definitely sold it better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GG1 said:

Bledsoe definitely sold it better.

I almost wrote that....Bledsoe completely sold it.   Maybe he can give Josh acting lessons.

But still, hard to understand how Josh didn't get the message of "if the CB doesn't follow motion, just plow ahead for the yard".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I almost wrote that....Bledsoe completely sold it.   Maybe he can give Josh acting lessons.

But still, hard to understand how Josh didn't get the message of "if the CB doesn't follow motion, just plow ahead for the yard".

or if you don't fell comfortable with the defense...call a timeout!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

or if you don't fell comfortable with the defense...call a timeout!

Or that.

This play more than any other from Sunday highlights the necessary next level of Allen's development.  Even if Daboll didn't properly prepare him, a QB who has mastered the game recognizes the problem once the CB doesn't follow the motion man and takes matters into his own hands to adjust, with either a sneak, an audible, or a TO.  As much as it pains me to invoke Brady into anything, this type of in-play recognition and decision making is exactly what has made him great.  I get that Josh is still on that journey, so I dearly hope he and the coaching staff recognize the huge learning opportunity that play provided.

• Like 3

They stacked they box, they adjusted to the play call, call a timeout captain..

Edited by Uncle Joe
Oh, I'm 65 and reserve the right to be a Monday Morning QB. But I saw that in real time..

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Or that.

This play more than any other from Sunday highlights the necessary next level of Allen's development.  Even if Daboll didn't properly prepare him, a QB who has mastered the game recognizes the problem once the CB doesn't follow the motion man and takes matters into his own hands to adjust, with either a sneak, an audible, or a TO.  As much as it pains me to invoke Brady into anything, this type of in-play recognition and decision making is exactly what has made him great.  I get that Josh is still on that journey, so I dearly hope he and the coaching staff recognize the huge learning opportunity that play provided.

In an ideal world, that idiotic play never gets called in the first place

• Like 1

This is worth reading in its entirety.  I did not agree with everything, but it was a very good breakdown.

Is Regression Coming for Josh Allen and the Bills?

</snip>

But the Steelers stopped it on Sunday, and it may seem obvious that the dip in the Bills’ offense was the result of a dip in Allen’s play. But that wasn’t the case at all.

I can make the entire argument in just a paragraph. The Steelers blitzed the Bills once on Sunday, per Sports Info Solutions—and yet, they pressured Allen on 22 of his 51 dropbacks (39 percent). Let’s safely assume that the Bills will never surrender as much pressure to so few rushers ever again, and sail off into the sunset certain that Allen will return to his previous heights. Thanks for reading. Be sure to drop a like and smash that subscribe button.

Of course, football is never that neat. But few, if any, quarterbacks would succeed in this context. For comparison’s sake: the Buccaneers blitzed Patrick Mahomes on only three of 56 dropbacks (5 percent) in the Super Bowl, and pressured him on 25 dropbacks (45 percent). We all remember how that went. That Allen struggled under these circumstances is expected, not worrisome.

It’s worth double-checking whether Allen was at fault for generating pressures by holding on to the football and missing his landmarks on his dropbacks. While Allen has always been willing to hold on to the football and deal with pressure as it comes, he was no more careless on Sunday than he was last season. Pro Football Focus charted Allen as being pressured on 23 dropbacks, and assigned him blame on only 5 percent of those pressures—one of the lowest numbers of the week, and far below his 2020 mark of 17.6 percent. Pittsburgh edge rushers T.J. Watt and Melvin Ingram both regularly won against Buffalo tackles Daryl Williams and Dion Dawkins, while DT Cameron Heyward swallowed most of Allen’s escape lanes with a relentless interior rush. Allen was frequently pinned in the pocket, limiting his freedom to create explosive, improvisational plays.

Some of these issues are structural. The Bills are willing to let elite edge rushers beat them.

</snip>

With the Bills’ offense stymied so successfully, media and fans will be quick to jump on the Steelers’ defensive approach as a blueprint other teams will follow to similar success against Buffalo. Fortunately for the Bills, this blueprint is difficult to adopt. Few, if any, teams in the league can generate that much pressure with just four pass rushers—there’s a reason T.J. Watt has been top three in Defensive Player of the Year voting in each of the past two seasons. And the Bills’ offensive line, which struggled mightily on Sunday, usually plays better.

</snip>

Allen’s accuracy wasn’t great on Sunday, which is naturally the item of chief concern for Bills fans. The above rep is a great example of what constant pressure can do to a quarterback’s throwing process. Having been hit all game, the internal alarm clock in Allen’s head starts blaring as he scans the field. Throw! Throw! Throw! Someone is coming to hit you very hard and maybe knock the ball free! Throw!

</snip>

Crap Throwing Clavin
23 minutes ago, Ann said:

McDermott's comments the past couple of weeks are starting to give me something of a Jauron vibe.  "Have to look at the tape."  "Looked good in practice this week."  If he tells us Moss's practice didn't translate to game day, I'm going to start having some serious issues wit him...

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

McDermott's comments the past couple of weeks are starting to give me something of a Jauron vibe.  "Have to look at the tape."  "Looked good in practice this week."  If he tells us Moss's practice didn't translate to game day, I'm going to start having some serious issues wit him...

His comments were a little different to my ears than what was reported: