Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Official 2022 Salary Cap Thread

Alaska Darin

How come Miami always seems to have  a bajillion dollars to spend?

</snip>

Because the Buffalo Bills enter the offseason more than $4 million over the projected 2022 salary cap, they won't enjoy the kind of carte blanche that will be available to their division rivals, particularly the Miami Dolphins (NFL-leading $63.3 million under the cap) and New York Jets ($48.1 million under), in free agency.

</snip>

I'd love to get rid of Star, though they would incur some dead cap hit:

image.thumb.png.d7ab535c62cc8ae63a91c385a6a13a02.png

Have to disagree about wanting to retain Levi Wallace.  When he isn't getting burnt, he is usually committing a dumb PI penalty.  Just hasn't shown enough to re-sign him to a CB2 contract.

1 hour ago, Ann said:

How come Miami always seems to have  a bajillion dollars to spend?

</snip>

Because the Buffalo Bills enter the offseason more than $4 million over the projected 2022 salary cap, they won't enjoy the kind of carte blanche that will be available to their division rivals, particularly the Miami Dolphins (NFL-leading $63.3 million under the cap) and New York Jets ($48.1 million under), in free agency.

</snip>

That happens when you have no players you wanna keep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Have to disagree about wanting to retain Levi Wallace.  When he isn't getting burnt, he is usually committing a dumb PI penalty.  Just hasn't shown enough to re-sign him to a CB2 contract.

Agreed.  He's basically JAG.  He's not a terrible player but there's no way you can't find better in the draft.  I won't be at all surprised if we draft 2 corners in the first 4 rounds.

• Like 1

The Athletic did a story today on who they think the Bills will keep, cut, trade or restructure:

C Mitch Morse

Spoiler

keep

2022 cap hit: $11.25 million
2022 dead money: $2.75 million
Potential 2022 cap savings: $8.5 million

RG Daryl Williams

Spoiler

restructure pay cut or cut

2022 cap hit: $9.925 million
2022 dead money: $3.6 million
Potential 2022 cap savings: $6.325 million

WR Cole Beasley

Spoiler

keep (unless he retires)

2022 cap hit: $7.6 million
2022 dead money: $1.5 million
Potential 2022 cap savings: $6.1 million

LB A.J. Klein 

Spoiler

cut

2022 cap hit: $5.6 million
2022 dead money: $400,000
Potential 2022 cap savings: $5.2 million

DT Star Lotulelei

Spoiler

cut

2022 cap hit: $9.2 million
2022 dead money: $5.2 million
Potential 2022 cap savings: $4 million

OL Jon Feliciano

Spoiler

cut

2022 cap hit: $4.9 million
Potential 2022 cap savings: $3.4 million

LB Tyler Matakevich

Spoiler

cut

2022 cap hit: $3.25 million
2022 dead money: $750,000
Potential 2022 cap savings: $2.5 million

G Cody Ford

Spoiler

trade

2022 cap hit: $2.4 million
2022 dead money: $870,000
Potential 2022 cap savings: $1.5 million

P Matt Haack

Spoiler

no answer

2022 cap hit: $1.9 million
2022 dead money: $700,000
Potential 2022 cap savings: $1.2 million

Other cap-saving cuts that are highly unlikely to happen: WR Stefon Diggs ($9.2 million in savings), S Jordan Poyer ($7.2 million), S Micah Hyde ($5.2 million), RB Devin Singletary ($2.5 million), TE Dawson Knox ($2.5 million), LT Dion Dawkins ($1.9 million)

The name to keep an eye on here is Diggs. With the cost of receivers going up, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the Bills make taking care of their star receiver a priority. His contract expires after the 2023 season, and with the 2023 cap expected to jump, the Bills could lock in Diggs to a long-term deal. At the same time, they can reduce his 2022 cap hit from its current figure of $17.9 million and give themselves more breathing room this year.

For additional savings, the Bills could choose to convert base salary into a signing bonus with Hyde or Dawkins, although Beane has implied he’d rather not kick the can down the road in most instances. The Bills could also do the same with Diggs if they don’t extend him.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
51 minutes ago, Ann said:

G Cody Ford

Reveal hidden contents

trade

2022 cap hit: $2.4 million
2022 dead money: $870,000
Potential 2022 cap savings: $1.5 million

Who in their right mind would trade for him?  If I'm a GM, and I want Ford, I'm thinking I just wait until he's cut and pick him up cheaply once he clears waivers rather than trade a late-round pick and pick up that contract.

10 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Who in their right mind would trade for him?  If I'm a GM, and I want Ford, I'm thinking I just wait until he's cut and pick him up cheaply once he clears waivers rather than trade a late-round pick and pick up that contract.

Agree.  What do they think Ford's trade value is?  To me, it is a box of donuts.

23 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

🤷‍♀️ I didn't write it, I just reported it.

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, Ann said:

🤷‍♀️ I didn't write it, I just reported it.

I know.  Doesn't change my observation a whit.

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
On 2/1/2022 at 8:02 PM, Alaska Darin said:

Agreed.  He's basically JAG.  He's not a terrible player but there's no way you can't find better in the draft.  I won't be at all surprised if we draft 2 corners in the first 4 rounds.

Beane can’t both retain Wallace, and spend picks in the first 4 rounds on corners, because if he does both, and his pick(s) fail to supplant Wallace as CB2, then Beane looks like a moron.

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Beane can’t both retain Wallace, and spend picks in the first 4 rounds on corners, because if he does both, and his pick(s) fail to supplant Wallace as CB2, then Beane looks like a moron.

:classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

I rarely dip my toe in these discussions, but it's pretty clear McBean is done with Haack.

He absolutely redeemed himself in the final game, but they can find a better punter at a local Punt, Pass and Kick competition.

And yeah, I'm kidding. Kinda.

Where do you think they found Andy Reid? Here is 13-year-old beastmode Reid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I rarely dip my toe in these discussions, but it's pretty clear McBean is done with Haack.

He absolutely redeemed himself in the final game, but they can find a better punter at a local Punt, Pass and Kick competition.

And yeah, I'm kidding. Kinda.

Where do you think they found Andy Reid? Here is 13-year-old beastmode Reid.

OMG did you see the size of Andy Reid compared to the kid standing behind him?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ann said:

OMG did you see the size of Andy Reid compared to the kid standing behind him?

One of my favorite clips.

PP&K was a big deal when I was growing up because it was sponsored by Ford, and my father was the only Ford dealer for miles, so he would run the event. 

That doesn't sound like a big deal, but where I grew up it was huge because we got to keep all the equipment when it was done. Which was particularly cool because as the son of the Ford dealer, I was unable to participate.  But I got the goods, and that was good enough.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ann said:

OL Jon Feliciano

Hide contents

cut

2022 cap hit: $4.9 million
Potential 2022 cap savings: $3.4 million

Trade him to the Giants ASAP because he’s better than anything they’ve got and he’s a “process example guy”. 

• Cheers 1

Blessed Believer
8 hours ago, snafu said:

Trade him to the Giants ASAP because he’s better than anything they’ve got and he’s a “process example guy”. 

I think Coach Bobby Johnson likes him too. Good idea. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Atlanta traded for Lee Smith.  Maybe we make a call.

On 2/1/2022 at 7:51 PM, Core Four said:

I'd love to get rid of Star, though they would incur some dead cap hit:

image.thumb.png.d7ab535c62cc8ae63a91c385a6a13a02.png

for being heavily invested in all things Bills-

why are your insights always wrong?