Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills 2022 Draft Pick: Round 6, Pick #180: P - Matt Araiza - San Diego State [released]

Bills Fans

2 hours ago, Koko said:

Interesting how he kept phrasing things. He did not deny they had sex; he denied it was forcible.

Well, if Araiza had sex w/ her, and it sure seems he did, the defense seems 2 pronged: 

1.  He had nothing to do w/ the alleged rape in the bedroom.  (Which sure seems more than just alleged right now.)  And

2.  He had been told by her that she was an 18 year old college student, so he'd been led to believe she was of age by her, which appears to be in certain circumstances a defense to a charge of statutory rape in CA.  (Not a lawyer & don't live out there, so who knows if that defense will actually work.)

He also claims to not have provided her alcohol or other, setting the defense for a potential serving alcohol to a minor charge as well.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Interesting article from NFL Draft Diamonds, who was aware of the case before player names were involved, and had been working on stories to determine the truths.

He spends a lot of time qualifying his statements to ensure the enraged Bills fans who are unable to think rationally don't piss on his website, but he does point out a few odd things.

According to this site, she didn't get a rape test done until 11 days after?  

Her attorney doesn't seem to be pushing the rape allegation hard (for obvious reasons is hard to prove 11 days later) but rather the statutory rape allegation (She was 17 and he was 21) which would be a misdemeanor if I am correct (more than 4 year difference is a felony).  I doubt the police are pushing the statutory since its also hard to prove and in this day and age its not that uncommon.

The more I am reading about this makes me believe its a money grab.

Is 9 months a pretty normal amount of time for a criminal case to sit in limbo like this? Seems like if it’s as cut and dry as her side has presented it, it shouldn’t be this slow moving?

• Cheers 2

I really hope the Bills front office and attorneys know what they are doing. That sounds trite in light of what happened to this poor girl (and I don't think anyone is disputing something bad happened to her).  Nevertheless, I do feel that this is a PR debacle. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, bdutton said:

According to this site, she didn't get a rape test done until 11 days after?  

Her attorney doesn't seem to be pushing the rape allegation hard (for obvious reasons is hard to prove 11 days later) but rather the statutory rape allegation (She was 17 and he was 21) which would be a misdemeanor if I am correct (more than 4 year difference is a felony).  I doubt the police are pushing the statutory since its also hard to prove and in this day and age its not that uncommon.

The more I am reading about this makes me believe its a money grab.

He’s saying that the civil suit either has a typo or it was 11 days. I think it’s likely a typo, as her account is that she went the next day.

• Cheers 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

He’s saying that the civil suit either has a typo or it was 11 days. I think it’s likely a typo, as her account is that she went the next day.

I have a problem with a typo in a legal document.  Lawyers know better.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

I "think" it was 48 hours later. The party was the 16th, she went the 18th. Maybe the incident happened in the early morning hours of the 17th? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Ann said:

I really hope the Bills front office and attorneys know what they are doing. That sounds trite in light of what happened to this poor girl (and I don't think anyone is disputing something bad happened to her).  Nevertheless, I do feel that they are this is a PR debacle.

It’s very hard for me to imagine that they don’t have some sort of ace in the sleeve on this… maybe that’s pie in the sky, but from day one of the Beane admin, there hasn’t been a single time he hasn’t seemed at least one to two steps ahead.. hard to imagine they aren’t ahead on this as well.

(Though maybe browns fans would have had similar confidence at the beginning of this year) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, bdutton said:

I have a problem with a typo in a legal document.  Lawyers know better.

Concur. But I think “lawyer” is a loose term for what we’ve seen from these fella’s so far. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Supposed to be 11 hours maybe?

Just now, Koko said:

The document stated the rape occurred the early hours of the 17th and she got the rape test on the 28th.

1 minute ago, Koko said:

I think the confusion is in whether it was the 18th, or the 28th. 

A typo of that kind seems possible, but an 11 day gap between when she went to the police would change the picture quite a bit, either way. 

Alaska Darin
6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Is 9 months a pretty normal amount of time for a criminal case to sit in limbo like this? Seems like if it’s as cut and dry as her side has presented it, it shouldn’t be this slow moving?

I watch a lot of SVU...

If you're a woman and you are raped...do not wait to report and do not bathe.  Go directly to the police and then to the hospital and get a kit done. 

I don't know if she was raped but the only way there's DNA evidence is if she didn't bathe for 11 days and/or kept the clothing she had intact. 

RochesterRob
59 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

This is where I jump in and let anyone with young children know one of the first things to instill in them as soon and as often as possible; avoid being alone with someone of the opposite sex as best possible. You never have to look too far to find examples why.

Fathers, your sons need to know there is no value associated with having sex at a young age. Teach them early and confidently and lovingly and you are establishing a great foundation upon which to build their future.

If I had to guess most boys do not get one word spoken as to what to do on a date or in school by their fathers.  Further, there is already a lot of pressure on most teen boys to have a girlfriend.  Comes from family, friends of family, and neighbors.  Sexually inappropriate behavior has been around since men carried clubs and sported animal skins but in my mind increased in an era when people are well fed and using stimulants.  Our whole culture brings this down on us.  Lastly, sexual drive varies with the individual whether it be male or female.  Those who are prone need mentoring so as not to make a decision which will ruin multiple lives.  I envied more the ones that Seinfeld called the sexual camels versus the players or whatever they are called today.  I would say my GPA would have been significantly better if I was not admiring the girl in the next row in front of me.

1 minute ago, bdutton said:

The document stated the rape occurred the early hours of the 17th and she got the rape test on the 28th.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I think the confusion is in whether it was the 18th, or the 28th. 

A typo of that kind seems possible, but an 11 day gap between when she went to the police would change the picture quite a bit, either way. 

That would make more sense, the 2 instead of a 1. The reports I looked briefly at last night said she was at the hospital the next day getting a rape kit.

Update on genios Twitter takes:

1. "Cut him and just dont punt all year."

2. "Dont spend any money on on-field performance scouting and put that money towards character investigations. Rely on online sources for performance info on prospects."

• Angry 1
  • Facepalm 3

Alaska Darin
10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

There likely isn't enough evidence to pursue charges, so it's left open for whatever time period is legally required.

Alaska Darin
11 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If I had to guess most boys do not get one word spoken as to what to do on a date or in school by their fathers.  Further, there is already a lot of pressure on most teen boys to have a girlfriend.  Comes from family, friends of family, and neighbors.  Sexually inappropriate behavior has been around since men carried clubs and sported animal skins but in my mind increased in an era when people are well fed and using stimulants.  Our whole culture brings this down on us.  Lastly, sexual drive varies with the individual whether it be male or female.  Those who are prone need mentoring so as not to make a decision which will ruin multiple lives.  I envied more the ones that Seinfeld called the sexual camels versus the players or whatever they are called today.  I would say my GPA would have been significantly better if I was not admiring the girl in the next row in front of me.

My father never taught me that stuff...but he did threaten me with death if I ever mistreated or disrespected any woman for any reason.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Her attorney definitely wants pressure on the police and the Bills to destroy his life. If he is guilty that is one thing, but if he is not...

This is very sad:

If this goes in front of a judge ever, i hope that the judge rips this morons head off for exposing the texts and diary entries on twitter for public consumption. The victim’s parents should be absolutely mortified at the way that their legal representation is handling this.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
17 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I watch a lot of SVU...

If you're a woman and you are raped...do not wait to report and do not bathe.  Go directly to the police and then to the hospital and get a kit done. 

Actually, the reverse: hospital first, they'll take care of calling the police for you.

• Like 2
  • Love 1