Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Josh Allen ..................The Book of Josh.

B-Man

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

His logic is literally "The Broncos sucked too badly to take him."  :classic_laugh:

Well, that was why this kid wasn't a big fan of the Bills taking him.  He clearly had more raw tools than any of the other "studs" at the top of that class, but he was going to a team that had a 2nd year HC who was a long time DC as a head coach, Dennison was the OC, and had never even heard of the QB coach before he took over that role.  Combine that with the Bills OL and WRs (or lacks thereof) and thought the team didn't have a chance of getting him anywhere near his ceiling.

If we had Andy Reid as the HC, would've taken him in a heartbeat.  W/ the Bills staff, thought there was at least a 50-50 chance he'd bust.  Very glad he didn't and very glad that he hooked up w/ Palmer in the off-seasons and they brought in Daboll.  Though Daboll too had a less than stellar record as an OC at the NFL level prior to helping make Allen into Allen.

• Like 3

On 9/14/2023 at 6:46 AM, Beer__League__Hockey said:

If I was the franchise, I'd be firmly in the camp of doing everything to rehabilitate Josh - highlight his strengths (running the ball, throwing deeper routes, etc).  Also don't trust him as much - for instance, red zone needs to be 75% runs and also custom pass plays that are one read and then throw it away.  Picture roll outs, half the field.  Minimize the mistakes.  Change the game plans to facilitate this.  Once this is accomplished:

TRADE HIM

As structured, this franchise will never win with a guy like Josh.  This is mostly because the coach/GM will never change, so he is the only thing of relative worth to flip.  I say this because the thought of firing McDermott and finding a solid offensive minded coach that would change Josh Allen's style in year 7, 8 or 9 (if his health lasts that long) seems virtually impossible.

cover5.jpg

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
13 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I didn't think I'd be here, but I'm really wondering if we don't give Kyle Allen a shot.

We've really got to coach Josh Allen up and improve him so he's worth something in a trade...

• Haha 2

Just looking at Josh Allen as a passer from 2020-2023 (min 20 starts, so 35 qualifying QBs):

Positives...

4th Att

4th Cmp

4th Yds

6th Y/G

2nd TD

3rd TD%

9th Passer Rating

2nd Passing Success Rate

2nd Wins

Negatives...

18th Cmp%

16th Y/A

1st INT

21st INT%

Obviously the INTs are a problem (and the INT% isn't good either). Interestingly of his 42 INTs, none have gone for a pick-6, every other QB with at least 30 INTs has had at least one go back the other way (Stafford has 9!).

Just looking at Josh Allen as a rusher from 2020-2023 (min 20 starts, so 35 qualifying QBs):

3rd Att

2nd Yds

5th Y/G

5th Y/A

2nd TD

3rd first downs

1st Rushing Success Rate

For the most part the top 5 in these rushing categories are Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, Justin Fields, and Josh Allen. Of these other four QBs, Murray has the most passing TDs - 64 - which is 48 less than Allen. 

Of all QBs, combining passing and rushing TDs, Allen has the most with 133, and Mahomes is second with 128. (Again however Allen also has the most combined turnovers.)

I don't think there's any question that Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL today. But Allen is the best dual threat QB in the NFL today, and maybe ever.

Edited by crawhammer
  • Cheers 2