Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2023 NFL Draft (because I'm bored)

Alaska Darin

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

How many ‘real’ first-round picks are in an NFL draft class?

So, how many ‘true’ first-round picks are in the 2023 NFL Draft class? Matt Miller of ESPN judges that by his grading system there are 19 players with first-round grades

I don't subscribe to ESPN+. Just tell me who the CB and Edge rushers are. :scared:

• Facepalm 1

46 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I don't subscribe to ESPN+. Just tell me who the CB and Edge rushers are. :scared:

Cornerback (3)

356.png&h=110&w=110 Devon Witherspoon, Illinois (No. 9)

Comp: Darius Slay

An aggressive and physical cornerback, Witherspoon is sticky in coverage and uses his size (6-foot-1, 180 pounds) and quickness to stay in-phase and eliminate targets. He had three interceptions and 14 pass breakups this past season. And while run defense doesn't get talked about much with corner prospects, Witherspoon's open-field tackling ability is the best in the class at the position.

213.png&h=110&w=110 Joey Porter Jr., Penn State (No. 10)

Comp: Marlon Humphrey

Porter has standout instincts and physicality. The 6-foot-2, 198-pound junior broke up 11 passes on limited targets in 2022, as opposing offenses stayed away from him. Porter has the length, toughness, speed and timing to be a top-tier NFL cornerback.

2483.png&h=110&w=110 Christian Gonzalez, Oregon (No. 17)

Comp: Byron Jones

A transfer from Colorado, Gonzalez found his footing at Oregon under first-year coach Dan Lanning, who was the architect of the 2021 Georgia defense. Gonzalez has great size at 6-foot-2 and 201 pounds, and his speed and leaping ability are elite traits. He had a breakout season in 2022 with four interceptions and seven pass breakups.

51 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Edge rusher (4)

333.png&h=110&w=110  Will Anderson Jr., Alabama (No. 1)

Comp: Von Miller

A menace off the edge, Anderson saw his role increase in 2022 when the Alabama coaches needed more interior pressure and called on No. 31 to do the dirty work. Over the past two seasons, the 6-foot-4, 243-pounder produced 27.5 sacks, 54 tackles for loss, 130 pressures, a forced fumble and an interception. He shows unstoppable first-step quickness and has a great understanding of pass-rush angles and leverage. Yes, Anderson misses some tackles in the backfield, but he is a complete pass-rusher who likely would have been the No. 1 overall pick in the 2022 draft.

228.png&h=110&w=110  Myles Murphy, Clemson (No. 6)

Comp: Bradley Chubb

Murphy produced from Day 1 at Clemson, working into the rotation as a true freshman. He filled the stat sheet with 18 sacks and 31 tackles for loss over three seasons while developing rare speed and power. The 6-foot-5, 275-pound Murphy is widely expected to run in the low-4.6s in the 40-yard dash at the combine, too. NFL teams are excited about his pass-rush tools and upside, given his rare burst, power and agility.

2641.png&h=110&w=110  Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech (No. 7)

Comp: Frank Clark

One of the hottest draft risers of the 2022 season, Wilson brings a great combination of length, quickness off the ball and relentless pursuit mentality. Over the past two years, the 6-foot-6, 275-pounder had 14 sacks, 30.5 tackles for loss and 71 pressures while dominating at the point of attack. He's one of the safer defensive prospects in the class, as his positional tools are already so well developed. Wilson should enter the NFL as a solid starter with the upside to become a truly special player.

2294.png&h=110&w=110 . Lukas Van Ness, Iowa (No. 19)

Comp: George Karlaftis

Van Ness never started a game in college but wowed with his quickness and agility while playing defensive end for the Hawkeyes. The 6-foot-5, 269-pounder played only two seasons at Iowa but collected 13.5 sacks and 52 pressures as a part-time player. He's a raw prospect, but it's easy to get excited about his speed, length and power as a true 4-3 defensive end at the next level. Comparisons to Karlaftis (a 2022 first-rounder) have been made by more than one scout.

• Angry 1

Deranged Rhino

Just from perusing a bunch of early mocks - I still like Flowers at the bottom of round one - or if he somehow slips into round 2. A lot of mocks have Robinson sliding far enough to make him a realistic target - but I think Cook showed enough. Which is shocking because Robinson is very good. 

I would love to see a IOL, someone who can start at Guard and move to Tackle later if needed - but I haven't dug into those players at all yet. 

• Like 2

Jabba The Hutt
16 hours ago, Ann said:

Edge rusher (4)

333.png&h=110&w=110  Will Anderson Jr., Alabama (No. 1)

Comp: Von Miller

A menace off the edge, Anderson saw his role increase in 2022 when the Alabama coaches needed more interior pressure and called on No. 31 to do the dirty work. Over the past two seasons, the 6-foot-4, 243-pounder produced 27.5 sacks, 54 tackles for loss, 130 pressures, a forced fumble and an interception. He shows unstoppable first-step quickness and has a great understanding of pass-rush angles and leverage. Yes, Anderson misses some tackles in the backfield, but he is a complete pass-rusher who likely would have been the No. 1 overall pick in the 2022 draft.

228.png&h=110&w=110  Myles Murphy, Clemson (No. 6)

Comp: Bradley Chubb

Murphy produced from Day 1 at Clemson, working into the rotation as a true freshman. He filled the stat sheet with 18 sacks and 31 tackles for loss over three seasons while developing rare speed and power. The 6-foot-5, 275-pound Murphy is widely expected to run in the low-4.6s in the 40-yard dash at the combine, too. NFL teams are excited about his pass-rush tools and upside, given his rare burst, power and agility.

2641.png&h=110&w=110  Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech (No. 7)

Comp: Frank Clark

One of the hottest draft risers of the 2022 season, Wilson brings a great combination of length, quickness off the ball and relentless pursuit mentality. Over the past two years, the 6-foot-6, 275-pounder had 14 sacks, 30.5 tackles for loss and 71 pressures while dominating at the point of attack. He's one of the safer defensive prospects in the class, as his positional tools are already so well developed. Wilson should enter the NFL as a solid starter with the upside to become a truly special player.

2294.png&h=110&w=110 . Lukas Van Ness, Iowa (No. 19)

Comp: George Karlaftis

Van Ness never started a game in college but wowed with his quickness and agility while playing defensive end for the Hawkeyes. The 6-foot-5, 269-pounder played only two seasons at Iowa but collected 13.5 sacks and 52 pressures as a part-time player. He's a raw prospect, but it's easy to get excited about his speed, length and power as a true 4-3 defensive end at the next level. Comparisons to Karlaftis (a 2022 first-rounder) have been made by more than one scout.

Gotta get our hands on The Van Ness Monster:classic_love:

Would be a killer draft if we could lock up Michael Myer and Vorhees as well

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Gotta get our hands on The Van Ness Monster:classic_love:

Would be a killer draft if we could lock up Michael Myer and Vorhees as well

Well, one thing we know is they never quit.

😎

• Haha 3

https://www.outkick.com/nfl-draft-analyst-daniel-jeremiah-outlines-scenario-for-moving-up-to-pick-a-top-qb/

Bears Can Be Confident Trading Draft’s No. 1 Pick

There are nonetheless three teams positioned relatively high in the draft that need a quarterback and might have to trade up. Those are the Texans with the second overall pick, the Colts with the fourth overall pick, and the Panthers with the ninth overall pick.

The trade chart might make a move up to the first overall selection difficult for all those except the Texans.

The Texans, per Jeremiah, would have to give up their No. 2 overall selection, the 33rd selection this year and next year’s No. 2 pick.

That’s to move up one spot.

The Colts would have to yield their No. 4 overall selection, the 35th overall pick, a first-rounder in 2024 and a second-rounder in 2024.

Yikes!

The Panthers would have to give up their No. 9 overall selection, No. 39 overall this year, a first-rounder in 2024 and another first-rounder in 2025.

• Like 1
  • O Rly 1

Scouts Finally Reveal Bryce Young’s Real Height; General Manager: ‘Would Be Scared To Death Of Drafting Him’

After months of speculation, scouts have finally revealed what is believed to be the true heightof highly-touted quarterback prospect Bryce Young, the likely 1st overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.

While Young has officially been listed at 6’0″, but scouts have indicated to ESPN’s Todd McShay that he is actually under six feet tall, measuring in at 5’10½”.

</snip>

• O Rly 1

35 minutes ago, Ann said:

While Young has officially been listed at 6’0″, but scouts have indicated to ESPN’s Todd McShay that he is actually under six feet tall, measuring in at 5’10½”.

</snip>

Sounds like my Match.com profile back in the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

SquirminThurman
44 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Bijan Robinson.

Does his running style remind anyone else of Thurman Thomas? Patient, great vision, little hop step, gets small in traffic, not terribly fast etc.

L Bell and E James had similar styles too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

SquirminThurman
On 2/25/2023 at 12:16 PM, Ann said:

Flowers

The name combo of 'Zay' and 'Flowers' gives me the heebie jeebies as a Bills fan 😁

That said I do think he may be the best WR prospect that could be available around Buffalo's pick.

• Cheers 2

Billsandhorns
8 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

he looks really good with no defenders any where near him

sign me up

oh, wait

huge lanes and great blocking is not our strong suit

You should watch more than just a highlight reel, or better yet watch the highlights closer. Many times he was met in the backfield and still gained positive yards, even made them miss on his own. 

• Like 1