Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Climate policy

snafu

On 3/5/2024 at 12:37 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Important note: "emissions" in this case is particulate emissions, not CO2 or methane or nitrous oxide or any other gas.  The study says that particulate pollution from tire wear is worse that particulate pollution from engine exhaust.  

I can appreciate that study, as I've been complaining for years that the environmental footprint of cars has been very narrowly focused on carbon footprint, and I'm happy to see a study that rightly considers something other than carbon footprint.  But it also means that most of the reporting on the study is misleading, for not making that distinction.

I remember MANY years back, a guy I worked with (at an environmental engineering firm) was telling me about a study that IIRC was conducted by the Missouri DEC (DEQ?) regarding why there weren't large deposits of fine rubber particles on highways and other major roads given the amount of tire wear that was necessarily happening on them.

Turns out that study found that most of the rubber that wore off the car and truck tires as they drove tended to get sucked into the air intakes of cars behind them and were either captured in their air filters or if the particles were very fine got burned up in the engines of those trailing cars.  Never saw the study; thought it MIGHT be plausible but never gave it any more thought.

IF that study was correct (a massive if, and again, never gave the study much thought), then a switch to a predominantly electric fleet of vehicles might lead to increased particulate emissions as those tire particles that would still be generated as a byproduct of driving would no longer be getting converted to primarily CO2 & H2O (along w/ SOx and a few other compounds).

• Like 2

RochesterRob
22 minutes ago, Hedge said:

A preemptive measure to insure that if Trump is elected there will be smear material to resurrect the Democrats in 2028?  That enough of the masses will want to tar and feather Trump without understanding the intentionally destructive nature of the Biden policy.  

• Angry 1

14 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

A preemptive measure to insure that if Trump is elected there will be smear material to resurrect the Democrats in 2028?  That enough of the masses will want to tar and feather Trump without understanding the intentionally destructive nature of the Biden policy.  

In the story it appears the AP is encouraging news outlets to use the term Climate Crisis to help set the narrative.

Next up wearing masks and social distancing (I know) along with of course our favorites, a climate vaccine on the way and mail in ballots for our safety

RochesterRob
5 minutes ago, Cinga said:

In the story it appears the AP is encouraging news outlets to use the term Climate Crisis to help set the narrative.

Next up wearing masks and social distancing (I know) along with of course our favorites, a climate vaccine on the way and mail in ballots for our safety

First is helping Biden's Chinese friends by greasing the skids for a ready market for the two EV plants that China is building in Mexico.  Mandates for elimination of internal combustion engines in cars and light trucks will be moved up to coincide with the last year or two of a presumed Trump administration.   Second is to cripple key economic sectors such as agriculture, forestry, and oil production in the US increasing US dependence for those products on imports.  The more likely reason that Biden is pushing to get the bridge mess in Baltimore cleaned up.  A corner stone will be to eliminate service parts and supplies for internal combustion engines that those industries depend on.  

• Angry 2

People will one day look back at how the toilet paper aisle was stocked during peak COVID hysteria as the "good old days"

Dafuque

New national goal is announced with nearly $1 billion in grants from the Inflation Reduction Act for cities, states, and Tribes to electrify school buses, refuse trucks, and delivery trucks

the Biden administration announced a first-ever national goal to transition to a zero-emissions freight sector — covering truck, rail, aviation, and marine traffic  — and pledged to develop a whole-of-government freight strategy to get there. This marks a critical step forward to clean our air throughout the United States, especially in communities who live in the shadow of ports, railyards, mega-warehouses, and freight routes and bear the brunt of freight pollution and its health impacts.

SOCIAL JUSTICE! If you don't support this, you are an oppressor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hedge said:

People will one day look back at how the toilet paper aisle was stocked during peak COVID hysteria as the "good old days"

Dafuque

i have a goal to get back to snatching over 300# in the next few years. it's cute to have goals, Joe.

Crap Throwing Clavin
26 minutes ago, Boyst said:

i have a goal to get back to snatching over 300# in the next few years. it's cute to have goals, Joe.

The difference is that you're not going to appoint a 300# snatch Czar.

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Hedge said:

Dafuque

My Uncle Bosley had a goal: to swim across the Gulf of California.  He got off to a good start, but disappeared somewhere around halfway there, eaten by Humboldt squid.

13 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

The difference is that you're not going to appoint a 300# snatch Czar.

you don't know about that. i think pete bootygig knows a thing or two about snatch

9 hours ago, Hedge said:

Long post (and short thread)

He is probably correct. The only way I’d buy an EV is if it were self driving ala Johnnycab (Total Recall).

The issue with destroying people’s ability to afford to drive, is it wrecks the economy. No economy, no taxes to steal. 

• Like 3

On 5/1/2024 at 11:23 PM, Ann said:

He is probably correct. The only way I’d buy an EV is if it were self driving ala Johnnycab (Total Recall).

The issue with destroying people’s ability to afford to drive, is it wrecks the economy. No economy, no taxes to steal. 

Most so called leaders have no vision nor the ability to see consequences of action.  Most enter politics to massage their ego.  

• Like 1