Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

22/23 Buffalo Sabres Season

B-Man

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 12/18/2022 at 1:43 PM, Alaska Darin said:

Thompson is one of the 10 best offensive players in the world, which is absolutely insane.

Forget the goal, the first four seconds of that is some of the sickest puck handling I've ever seen.

The Blues traded him, two other players, and two picks for O'Reilly?  That trade's looking worse for them by the day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

The Blues traded him, two other players, and two picks for O'Reilly?  That trade's looking worse for them by the day.

They won a Cup and O'Reilly was the Conn Smythe trophy winner.  He's been their best player since the day he got there.

It's another of the "everybody won" trade but I guarantee you no one saw TNT as a consistent 40 goal per year scorer when that trade was made.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Forget the goal, the first four seconds of that is some of the sickest puck handling I've ever seen.

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

They won a Cup and O'Reilly was the Conn Smythe trophy winner.  He's been their best player since the day he got there.

It's another of the "everybody won" trade but I guarantee you no one saw TNT as a consistent 40 goal per year scorer when that trade was made.

That trade was back in 2018.  The Sabres got ZERO value out of ANY piece of the return for O'Reilly until the FOURTH season after the trade.  ROR won a Selke & the Conn Smythe.  The Sabres haven't finished a year at an NHL 0.500 in ~ a decade.  They had the worst record in the entire league in 1 of those 3 intervening years.   That was STILL a horrible trade for the Sabres.

Overall, though it'll be good for the Sabres moving forward, it can't make up for the damage the trade did to the Sabres and the fanbase.

IF the Sabres really wanted Thompson, he was only their 3rd or 4th rated prospect.  He was available for FAR less than the Sabres gave up for him.

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

That trade was back in 2018.  The Sabres got ZERO value out of ANY piece of the return for O'Reilly until the FOURTH season after the trade.  ROR won a Selke & the Conn Smythe.  The Sabres haven't finished a year at an NHL 0.500 in ~ a decade.  They had the worst record in the entire league in 1 of those 3 intervening years.   That was STILL a horrible trade for the Sabres.

Overall, though it'll be good for the Sabres moving forward, it can't make up for the damage the trade did to the Sabres and the fanbase.

IF the Sabres really wanted Thompson, he was only their 3rd or 4th rated prospect.  He was available for FAR less than the Sabres gave up for him.

I'm not going to argue about it because I said exactly the same thing at the time.   I wanted Robert Thomas, Thompson  and their 1st for ROR.

Luckily Adams seems to have an actual plan, even though it seems like the Pegulas are keeping costs artificially low.

55 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm not going to argue about it because I said exactly the same thing at the time.   I wanted Robert Thomas, Thompson  and their 1st for ROR.

Luckily Adams seems to have an actual plan, even though it seems like the Pegulas are keeping costs artificially low.

Really don't believe they are artificially keeping the costs down.  Cozens will get paid next year & Dahlin & Power will be getting their next deals worked out this offseason.

They'll also likely spend some more money on a goalie to replace Anderson this offseason after they're signed Levi & found out if Portillo signs or won't.

Also expect another D or 2 brought in.

This team's evolution these 3 years of Adams GMing is tracking eerily close to what the Canes did in '03 & '04 (& likely would've done had '05 been played). In '06 they had the 2nd best record in the East, won their division, & you know the rest.

They've brought in some REALLY well respected guys into the front office and might have the best analytics department in the entire league.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Really don't believe they are artificially keeping the costs down.  Cozens will get paid next year & Dahlin & Power will be getting their next deals worked out this offseason.

They'll also likely spend some more money on a goalie to replace Anderson this offseason after they're signed Levi & found out if Portillo signs or won't.

Also expect another D or 2 brought in.

This team's evolution these 3 years of Adams GMing is tracking eerily close to what the Canes did in '03 & '04 (& likely would've done had '05 been played). In '06 they had the 2nd best record in the East, won their division, & you know the rest.

They've brought in some REALLY well respected guys into the front office and might have the best analytics department in the entire league.

I do think they're keeping costs down for two reasons: 

1.  What you alluded to.  The young guys are going to need paid over each of the next 3 years.

2.  The Pegulas have learned that you have to pay a premium to higher-tier FAs when your team isn't good.  It's clearly better to get mid-tier guys at this point than overpay and end up saddled with yet another bad contract when this team is ready to have a chance at an extended run.

I'm honestly thrilled with where they are (8 game losing streak not withstanding) because they're talented and entertaining and the Amerks are on the rise as well.  It's been far too long but hopefully we have a great reward coming.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's clearly better to get mid-tier guys at this point than overpay and end up saddled with yet another bad contract when this team is ready to have a chance at an extended run.

This is SO important. Especially in a hard salary cap league. 

• Cheers 2

On 12/21/2022 at 4:39 PM, Ann said:

Kind of stinks.  Sabres lose the Friday night before Christmas to gain a Monday in January.  With a game on the next day.

Totally get why they moved the game, just lamenting it.  My kids were going to Friday's game.  Guess not now.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

He potted 2 more today as well.

Granted Austria is bad, but getting a hattie as an 18 yo is impressive. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

He potted 2 more today as well.

Granted Austria is bad, but getting a hattie as an 18 yo is impressive. 

Kid has a wicked shot.

• Like 2

Supposedly the Buffalo travel ban will be lifted tonight so it appears the Sabres- Detroit game is on for tomorrow night.

If so, we'll get to see just how overrated practice is as they haven't practiced in ~ 1 week.  Though some players have been skating on their own.

• Like 1