Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Eating for health

Fansince88

2 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Ever try buckwheat?? It's not wheat at all, really a seed from a flowering plant.

High in fiber, high in protein (has all amino acids), high in B vitamins, low in carbs.

Buy the toasted groats and toast them some more in a frying pan. Use 2-2.5 times as much water, a little salt and a little butter and then slowly simmer for about 15 minutes. After it's done I put in a tiny bit of honey or maple syrup and maybe some blueberries if I have any. It's a great breakfast, and will keep you feeling full for hours and hours.  You can also cook it and mix in some meat and/or vegetables for a delicious lunch or dinner. 

I like this brand, depending on the price, sometimes I buy from Amazon, sometimes ebay.

41iIyvSu5QL._AC_SY350_.jpg

Never have. Big fan of Buckwheat pancakes.

• Cheers 1

Jabba The Hutt
Just now, Fansince88 said:

Found some Chaga on birch trees in the woods. Have you tried it?

Just in a tea formulation with other mushrooms...never wild foraged the shroom family yet, there are just so many fungi and I am more concerned about the ones in the ground(mycorrhizae). They make me nervous after learning of some friends bad experiences lol.

Now if I were to inoculate the wood myself, heck yeah! We will be doing that as well so maybe I'll be more comfortable with wild foraging in the future. I'm actually most excited about inoculation with truffle spores so we can begin some home truffle production and Truffle Pig training!:classic_love: 

11 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Found some Chaga on birch trees in the woods. Have you tried it?

Make tea with it.

ETA: I see Jabba beat me to it and included more info.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Ever try buckwheat?? It's not wheat at all, really a seed from a flowering plant.

High in fiber, high in protein (has all amino acids), high in B vitamins, low in carbs.

Buy the toasted groats and toast them some more in a frying pan. Use 2-2.5 times as much water, a little salt and a little butter and then slowly simmer for about 15 minutes. After it's done I put in a tiny bit of honey or maple syrup and maybe some blueberries if I have any. It's a great breakfast, and will keep you feeling full for hours and hours.  You can also cook it and mix in some meat and/or vegetables for a delicious lunch or dinner. 

I like this brand, depending on the price, sometimes I buy from Amazon, sometimes ebay.

41iIyvSu5QL._AC_SY350_.jpg

Love me some buckwheat pancakes!

• Cheers 2

• 1 month later...
The Guy In Pants

It's very tough to eat healthy when the markets are flooded with unhealthy options. It is good to see you @Fansince88 doing well and recovering from the scare I hope. My scare wasn't as threatening as yours but anything heart related is something that can make you start paying attention a lot more. I am glad it wasn't more severe than it was.

I recently found out that my friends wife fights the same battle many others do.  Her situation is actually the opposite of mine and maybe yours too. She's 29. She had a stroke in 2016. She was diagnosed with (I cannot remember the name) but basically her heart is too weak to operate as it should. She doesn't want a pace maker but it is inevitable for her. Anyway; her diet wreaks havoc on her heart. We share food stuff via messenger on Facebook. She told me about this Hawthorn Berry and Rose Petal Syrup for heart health. She swears by it. I have not tried it yet. 

I am trying to eat better myself. My wife is happy because it's made her much healthier as well since I do all the cooking. One of the most important changes my doctor says I have made is drastically reducing my sodium intake. I trust your doctor has talked to you about it as well.

It's been a few years in the making and eating better is much easier now. I struggle with chocolate still lol but I'm almost out of the chocolate sponge candy I got for Christmas. 

Eating food not from the grocery store is the easiest way to avoid the bad stuff. Not always the easiest. Thankfully there are tons of new healthy things hitting the markets now. They're much more expensive than the other options but ; at least they're available. 

I am a garlic whore. Garlic on and in pretty much every damn thing. Mrs. Dash make some sodium free rubs and spice combinations that are good. We get almost all of our meat from local farms. The farm where we get our chicken ran a special a while back at like .45 cents a pound and I filled one whole freezer with a mix of boneless and bone in thighs, breasts and whole chickens. If you have never boiled the rest of a whole chicken to make bone stock; do it do it do it. So rich and very healthy. I actually made chicken noodle soup the other day. I use the tiny, thin egg noodles. But load it with more veggies and meat than noodles. Also found this amazing zero sodium chicken bullion powder. Knorrs I believe makes it. So good. You can also freeze the stock.

Anyway; good luck. Just minor changes make a big difference over time. I didn't believe it but I do now. I know when I mess up now too. Everything gets out of tilt for a bit lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

It's very tough to eat healthy when the markets are flooded with unhealthy options. It is good to see you @Fansince88 doing well and recovering from the scare I hope. My scare wasn't as threatening as yours but anything heart related is something that can make you start paying attention a lot more. I am glad it wasn't more severe than it was.

I recently found out that my friends wife fights the same battle many others do.  Her situation is actually the opposite of mine and maybe yours too. She's 29. She had a stroke in 2016. She was diagnosed with (I cannot remember the name) but basically her heart is too weak to operate as it should. She doesn't want a pace maker but it is inevitable for her. Anyway; her diet wreaks havoc on her heart. We share food stuff via messenger on Facebook. She told me about this Hawthorn Berry and Rose Petal Syrup for heart health. She swears by it. I have not tried it yet. 

I am trying to eat better myself. My wife is happy because it's made her much healthier as well since I do all the cooking. One of the most important changes my doctor says I have made is drastically reducing my sodium intake. I trust your doctor has talked to you about it as well.

It's been a few years in the making and eating better is much easier now. I struggle with chocolate still lol but I'm almost out of the chocolate sponge candy I got for Christmas. 

Eating food not from the grocery store is the easiest way to avoid the bad stuff. Not always the easiest. Thankfully there are tons of new healthy things hitting the markets now. They're much more expensive than the other options but ; at least they're available. 

I am a garlic whore. Garlic on and in pretty much every damn thing. Mrs. Dash make some sodium free rubs and spice combinations that are good. We get almost all of our meat from local farms. The farm where we get our chicken ran a special a while back at like .45 cents a pound and I filled one whole freezer with a mix of boneless and bone in thighs, breasts and whole chickens. If you have never boiled the rest of a whole chicken to make bone stock; do it do it do it. So rich and very healthy. I actually made chicken noodle soup the other day. I use the tiny, thin egg noodles. But load it with more veggies and meat than noodles. Also found this amazing zero sodium chicken bullion powder. Knorrs I believe makes it. So good. You can also freeze the stock.

Anyway; good luck. Just minor changes make a big difference over time. I didn't believe it but I do now. I know when I mess up now too. Everything gets out of tilt for a bit lol. 

Thanks bud. Perhaps I will change the direction of this thread. We can all lean on each other for recipes, exercise regimens, and do's and don'ts that have got us where we are. Both don'ts because this is what happened or do's because this brought me through. Firstly I believe it was the grace of God that either healed or kept safe my heart through it all. I will say the cleanse seemed to help as my Triglycerides and Cholesterol were much lower at the hospital than a year ago. I have learned a lot about supplements and their reduced ability of our bodies to absorb them. I have learned much more about the vegetables and fruits I should have been snacking on more over the years. Have learned a lot about the way food is prepared that causes it to loose its abilities to heal our body. Its the little things. Simple things like Oatmeal for breakfast with bananas or blueberries for sweeteners. But who can live on that every morning. This morning I have 2 (free range) chicken eggs with chicken, zucchini, and green/red and Jalapeno peppers. 

What a deal on chicken. Eliminating the skin is my Achilles heal. I love the skin when it is crispy! What we have seen in the Mrs. dash contains more other things other than just reducing salt. Some of those things are not good for you at all. Knoors makes quite a bit of product, some of which I unload from trucks where I work. I will look into that. Thanks for that tip. Also, soup looks delicious! Enjoy a snack of chocolate. If you like Dark Chocolate switch to that. Also there are many fruits and vegetables that reduce sugar by working with your insulin levels. Blessings! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Over on News and Opinions we have a food conversation break out. I decided to bring it here for further conversation on the subject. It just amazes me what we pass off for food! Here is a little history on the creation of Vegetable oil. Knew for years it was not healthy but the toxins used to get "The Most" out of the product. https://umzu.com/blogs/health/the-hidden-history-of-why-vegetable-oil-is-in-your-kitchen-will-shock-you

From the link

“At first, vegetable seeds are diskinned and dehulled and crushed into coarse meal. They are then heated to extract the oil from the meal. In addition to the heat, up to 20,6850 kilopascals of pressure is used on the meal to extract as much oil as possible.” — Corn Refiners Association

But that’s not all — hydrocarbon and neurotoxin hexane solvents are then added for maximum extractions. Hexane is a byproduct that’s created during the production of gasoline, which is hazardous to our health and pollutes our air with toxicity. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) doesn’t have any limitations on food residues, and the Cornucopia Institute11 found residues from hexane in soybean oil in 2009.

A study12 reported that five solvents were actually used in the production of cotton seed oil, which are hexane, benzene, acetone, ethyl-ether, and Butanone.

The oil is heated again at temperatures up to 188 degrees Fahrenheit and mixed with acid, sodium hydroxide or sodium carbonate13. The oil is then bleached, deodorized and packaged to be sold.

Now, compare this complicated and lengthy process to the natural process of making butter—wait for cream to separate from milk, skim off the cream and shake.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

On 11/20/2022 at 10:03 AM, Fansince88 said:

This is a very overused term yet we do not have a clue what it means. I have for years tried to use vitamins and herbs and minerals to get my BP, Triglycerides,  and Cholesterol in check with no avail. Also as we all do as we age put on the weight. 5'6" and creaped to 205lbs. In the last two years of trying I could not get below 190 no matter what I did.  Just this September I stumbled upon two medical professionals that were talking about Metabolic System cleanse. Dr Mark and Michelle Sherwood, they can be found on youtube at Sherwood TV. I did this cleanse in the beginning of September and am now at 178lbs, 3 pounds from my goal. I have energy I have not had since my 30s.  In the first 4 days of the 15 day cleanse I watched my constantly erratic BP since I got covid 2 years ago level out at an acceptable level and not jump around since. I will be checking my levels the first of the year so stay tuned. The health reset plan linked here is what I did.  https://fmidr.com/plans/

All that said, my reason for this post is to have a place to share our stories. We can live better if we eat better. Im not ralking so much about cutting out certain foods but cleaning out the preservatives and such from out diets. I will say this much. Since this cleanse the cravings for certain things is gone. Those certain things were killing me slowly. 

Finally, I am looking into switching to raw milk as we do have a farm that is licensed in our area and thought I would share this too. https://www.rawmilkinstitute.org/updates/letter-to-medical-professionals-about-raw-milk#:~:text=Numerous scientific studies have shown,gut-healthy probiotics and enzymes.

Have a blessed day! 

ditch cow milk entirely 

switch to coconut or almond milk - make your own from natural ingredients and avoid all preservatives

helps to have coconuts in your backyard

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 5:39 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

you need to get an instapot. 

cook chicken or beef bones to generate soup and broth 

add chicken feet for extra collagen

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The Guy In Pants
9 hours ago, Spartacus said:

you need to get an instapot. 

cook chicken or beef bones to generate soup and broth 

add chicken feet for extra collagen

Have 2 lol love those things. Haven’t made the stock in them yet though.

The Guy In Pants
10 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Over on News and Opinions we have a food conversation break out. I decided to bring it here for further conversation on the subject. It just amazes me what we pass off for food! Here is a little history on the creation of Vegetable oil. Knew for years it was not healthy but the toxins used to get "The Most" out of the product. https://umzu.com/blogs/health/the-hidden-history-of-why-vegetable-oil-is-in-your-kitchen-will-shock-you

From the link

“At first, vegetable seeds are diskinned and dehulled and crushed into coarse meal. They are then heated to extract the oil from the meal. In addition to the heat, up to 20,6850 kilopascals of pressure is used on the meal to extract as much oil as possible.” — Corn Refiners Association

But that’s not all — hydrocarbon and neurotoxin hexane solvents are then added for maximum extractions. Hexane is a byproduct that’s created during the production of gasoline, which is hazardous to our health and pollutes our air with toxicity. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) doesn’t have any limitations on food residues, and the Cornucopia Institute11 found residues from hexane in soybean oil in 2009.

A study12 reported that five solvents were actually used in the production of cotton seed oil, which are hexane, benzene, acetone, ethyl-ether, and Butanone.

The oil is heated again at temperatures up to 188 degrees Fahrenheit and mixed with acid, sodium hydroxide or sodium carbonate13. The oil is then bleached, deodorized and packaged to be sold.

Now, compare this complicated and lengthy process to the natural process of making butter—wait for cream to separate from milk, skim off the cream and shake.

Thoughts?

I was not aware of the process. I have some containers of veg oil in storage shed. They’re out of date so I won’t cook with them but I keep them around for other uses. I try to use unsalted butter only. Air fryer for anything fried. I do use a good amount of olive oil. Now I’m curious about that

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

I was not aware of the process. I have some containers of veg oil in storage shed. They’re out of date so I won’t cook with them but I keep them around for other uses. I try to use unsalted butter only. Air fryer for anything fried. I do use a good amount of olive oil. Now I’m curious about that

Olive oil. Used since before the disciples anointed the sick with it. Its natures cure to many ailments when included in a proper diet. I make my own dressing so I know what is in it. Water, red wine vinegar/Balsamic Vinegar and Olive oil. Here are some health benefits of Olive Oil, mostly from the extra virgin variety. Read the labels though as some sneak other oils in for filler. Evil!

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-benefits-of-olive-oil#TOC_TITLE_HDR_6

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

We love the air fryer. That said, I prefer my wings crispy so they get broiled when we can afford them. My daughter makes what we call fire cracker chicken. It is slices up breast in bread crumbs (homemade) olive oil brown sugar, and a ton of different spices including turmeric. baked or air fried then rolled in the hot sauce and brown sugar. Making me hungry!

• Like 2

I will be looking into the list of "Oils" that were mentioned by CTM. Education is our best tool. Today Im going to discuss My new favorite drink in the morning. Warm water with lemon. A month ago I tired this with lemon oil and dumped it when I saw that the ingredients included High Fructose Corn Syrup! WHY. We bought it for lemon! Therefore I decided to dump that and squeeze my own lemons from now on. So lemon water is good but heated is great and here is why:

1. Boosts your immune system

2. Lemons are good for your brain

3. They are heart-healthy

4. Lemon juice balances the body's pH

5. It helps with weight loss

6. Lemon water also aids digestion

7. Lemon water is a diuretic

8. It clears skin

9. And freshens breath

10. Lemon may even help respiratory problems

11. It's good for the liver

12. And keeps you zen

13. Helps kick the coffee habit

This article is a long read but well worth the time IMHO:

https://lajollamom.com/drink-warm-lemon-water-in-the-morning/

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants
15 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

I will be looking into the list of "Oils" that were mentioned by CTM. Education is our best tool. Today Im going to discuss My new favorite drink in the morning. Warm water with lemon. A month ago I tired this with lemon oil and dumped it when I saw that the ingredients included High Fructose Corn Syrup! WHY. We bought it for lemon! Therefore I decided to dump that and squeeze my own lemons from now on. So lemon water is good but heated is great and here is why:

8. It clears skin

9. And freshens breath

12. And keeps you zen

Great information all around in here. Not the forum for this, but I’m stating it anyway……none of what we see with food, farms or land is coincidence. No one will convince me otherwise.

• Cheers 3

On 1/14/2023 at 5:36 PM, Fansince88 said:

8. It clears skin

9. And freshens breath

12. And keeps you zen

An alkaline body is in your best interests.

• Cheers 1
  • Love 1