Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Eating for health

Fansince88

https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/are-americans-trying-eat-healthy

At the same time, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found out that more than 36 percent of Americans are consuming fast food regularly, to the extend that on any given day, a third of Americans is eating from fast food restaurants.

In a separate survey by the Cleveland Clinic, 46 percent of U.S. adults said a barrier to eating healthy foods was their price. Almost a quarter of Americans stated that they had to little time to cook and prepare healthy foods, while a high 20 percent said they didn't know how to cook healthy foods.

6 hours ago, Spartacus said:

https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/are-americans-trying-eat-healthy

At the same time, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found out that more than 36 percent of Americans are consuming fast food regularly, to the extend that on any given day, a third of Americans is eating from fast food restaurants.

In a separate survey by the Cleveland Clinic, 46 percent of U.S. adults said a barrier to eating healthy foods was their price. Almost a quarter of Americans stated that they had to little time to cook and prepare healthy foods, while a high 20 percent said they didn't know how to cook healthy foods.

Reality:  People are lazy and use excuses. 

Each weekend I sous vide the meat we're going to eat for the entire week.  I put it back in the fridge in the vacuum sealed bags.  When I get home, I turn the sous vide back on, toss the stuff in for a half hour, then finish it on the grill.

The biggest problem with the standard American diet is people eat far too much processed food and not nearly enough ruminant animal protein.  You wanna lose weight?  Stop eating shit, eat more real meat, and do at least 30 minutes of resistance training 4 or 5 times a week.  If you're doing it right, you'll struggle to keep weight on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Each weekend I sous vide the meat we're going to eat for the entire week.  I put it back in the fridge in the vacuum sealed bags.  When I get home, I turn the sous vide back on, toss the stuff in for a half hour, then finish it on the grill.

The biggest problem with the standard American diet is people eat far too much processed food and not nearly enough ruminant animal protein.  You wanna lose weight?  Stop eating shit, eat more real meat, and do at least 30 minutes of resistance training 4 or 5 times a week.  If you're doing it right, you'll struggle to keep weight on.

The idea that food is too expensive yet people eat out multiple times a week (or spend money every day on sugar water) is ludicrous.

Of course, instead of educating people about how to eat healthy on a budget (like they did when we were kids), our government spends money advertising its ‘inequality’ narrative.

• Wow 1
  • Applause 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

The idea that food is too expensive yet people eat out multiple times a week (or spend money every day on sugar water) is ludicrous.

Of course, instead of educating people about how to eat healthy on a budget (like they did when we were kids), our government spends money advertising its ‘inequality’ narrative.

The most recent South Park with "branding" was spot on.  Every single brand contained the word "victim".  Those guys have been pretty spot on predicting the downfall of society.

We almost never eat out anymore because of sous vide/infra-red searing.  I can take a $10 Box Store ribeye and make it nearly the same flavor/texture as a Mortons/Ruth's Chris steak. 

As a kid we literally never ate out.  We didn't live near anything and my parents didn't have money for that nonsense.  I remember it being special when my dad took me to the diner for a burger, fries, and a shake because it happened maybe once a year.  Soda?  Forget it.  Maybe 2-3 times a year.  We looked forward to Halloween because one of the guys in our neighborhood worked at the Coca-Cola bottling place and he gave out a can of coke.  The other "best house" was the guy who worked at the dairy - he gave out individual serving chocolate milks.  It was also pretty much the only time we got candy all year and my mom took like a third of it from each of us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Truth!

That said, the more I study the more I see that sugar is as big as the fake food we eat. This guy has had some incredible videos. he is actually a chiropractor. He really breaks down his talks with more of a teacher mindset. Very good listen. While he is more of a Keto lite kind of guy and Im not really into that so much his teaching in his videos are great. 

Here is where I am:

Edited by Fansince88
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Truth!

That said, the more I study the more I see that sugar is as big as the fake food we eat. This guy has had some incredible videos. he is actually a chiropractor. He really breaks down his talks with more of a teacher mindset. Very good listen. While he is more of a Keto lite kind of guy and Im not really into that so much his teaching in his videos are great. 

Here is where I am:

addressing the cause of inflammation is key

(most is caused by too much Omega 6 from factory meat and vegetable oils)

modern medicine is built on the opposite

create inflammation with some protocol and then sell drugs on an annuity program forever to mask the symptoms

create an entire statin drugs industry to address a make believe problem attributed to high  cholesterol, just because its a scape goat that it's easy to test & track

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

addressing the cause of inflammation is key

(most is caused by too much Omega 6 from factory meat and vegetable oils)

modern medicine is built on the opposite

create inflammation with some protocol and then sell drugs on an annuity program forever to mask the symptoms

create an entire statin drugs industry to address a make believe problem attributed to high  cholesterol, just because its a scape goat that it's easy to test & track

It's more nefarious than even that.  It's a Big Pharma pyramid scheme.  Start you on some drug to treat one thing.  The side effects of that drug will inevitably lead to you need more & more drugs as your digestive tract is weakened by all the foreign nonsense you're introducing.

You wanna be healthy?  Get your microbiome back to where it belongs and everything else will just sort of fall into place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's more nefarious than even that.  It's a Big Pharma pyramid scheme.  Start you on some drug to treat one thing.  The side effects of that drug will inevitably lead to you need more & more drugs as your digestive tract is weakened by all the foreign nonsense you're introducing.

You wanna be healthy?  Get your microbiome back to where it belongs and everything else will just sort of fall into place.

See, this is where my struggle is. Having the stents placed nearly 2 months ago I have no choice for a bit to take thinner and aspirin. Also have me on BP meds and have been warned to stay on these for at least 6 months. Furthermore the doctor had me on Cholesterol medication. After 6 weeks I stopped taking these as they are doing the telltale muscle tightness and palpitations. Come to find out this blocks the creation of Coenzyme 10 in your system, which slows down as you age, and guess what muscle needs that the most to operate. THE HEART! Also, studies show that people with Alzheimer and Dementia more often are low in Cholesterol in the body, which the brain needs to survive and CoQ10 which the brain also needs. In fact every organ needs CoQ10! 

That said, as far as microbiome,  has anyone made their own Sauerkraut? Looking for a good recipe.  

Edited by Fansince88
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

See, this is where my struggle is. Having the stents placed nearly 2 months ago I have no choice for a bit to take thinner and aspirin. Also have me on BP meds and have been warned to stay on these for at least 6 months. Furthermore the doctor had me on Cholesterol medication. After 6 weeks I stopped taking these as they are doing the telltale muscle tightness and palpitations. Come to find out this blocks the creation of Coenzyme 10 in your system, which slows down as you age, and guess what muscle needs that the most to operate. THE HEART! Also, studies show that people with Alzheimer and Dementia more often are low in Cholesterol in the body, which the brain needs to survive and CoQ10 which the brain also needs. In fact every organ needs CoQ10! 

That said, as far as microbiome,  has anyone made their own Sauerkraut? Looking for a good recipe.  

Cholesterol has been very effectively demonized for the sake of profits for decades.  Statins have to be heinously profitable.  You're correct that cholesterol is required for brain health, especially as you age. 

Medicine isn't different than any other profession.  10% of the people in any field are competent.  The rest are basically pretenders who regurgitate stuff back at us like they're some kinda experts.  Before anyone accepts any diagnosis and resulting treatment, they should do their own research and seek out additional opinions.  The quality of life you save is 100% worth it.

• Like 2

Nouseforaname
On 2/27/2023 at 3:22 PM, Fansince88 said:

Cholesterol or LDL? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

Cholesterol or LDL? 

Not sure what you are asking. What they dont focus enough on rather than LDL levels is what percentage is SD-LDL and percentage of LB-LDL. Same can be said about HDL. Look into that. We get pit on meds to lower LDL but Small Dense SD  is what we need to eliminate, not the Large Bouyant LB ln. 

Edited by Fansince88
  • Like 1

Nouseforaname
17 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Not sure what you are asking. What they dont focus enough on rather than LDL levels is what percentage is SD-LDL and percentage of LB-LDL. Same can be said about HDL. Look into that. We get pit on meds to lower LDL but Small Dense SD  is what we need to eliminate, not the Large Bouyant LB ln. 

I wasn’t aware, all I know is to increase hdl and lower ldl.

1 hour ago, Nouseforaname said:

I wasn’t aware, all I know is to increase hdl and lower ldl.

Have I a got a couple of  videos for you!

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just added freshly grated ginger to my hot lemon water every morning. Delicious and healthy. One step further for a healthier me

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/15/2023 at 5:54 AM, Spartacus said:

8x more likely to die when cholesterol lowered,

typically from Statin drugs

No question Statin drugs are awful and should probably be banned, but a 26 minute teaser on his experiment feels like one of those Motley Fool stock picker videos.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like 1

ComradeKayAdams
On 2/27/2023 at 3:22 PM, Fansince88 said:

Yes, I’ll make my own sauerkraut, though not with any fancy ingredients beyond cabbage, salt, garlic, and onions. But anything homemade is better than that probiotic-murdering pasteurized garbage they sell in grocery stores!

Regarding cholesterol: my understanding is that a healthy human liver makes all of the cholesterol the body will ever need, so any dietary considerations of it are typically unnecessary.

FYI, there is a lot of nutritional research out there which supports a (well-planned) vegan diet as one that can best combat heart disease (one source among many: American Heart Association). I know that it has helped multiple people in my extended family with cardiovascular problems and other health issues.

I have personally been 100% vegan for almost a decade now, with nearly all of my diet the whole-food/unprocessed version. No major health problems so far. Steady BMI of about 19. My only dietary supplements are vitamin B12, vitamin D3 (from lichens), and DHA/EPA Omega-3 (from algae). As far as exercise goes, I don’t do anything outrageous: some combination of jogging, yoga, rock climbing, and pick-up soccer maybe 2-3 times a week.

Good for you for taking your health seriously, Fansince88! I hope everything works out well for you.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Yes, I’ll make my own sauerkraut, though not with any fancy ingredients beyond cabbage, salt, garlic, and onions. But anything homemade is better than that probiotic-murdering pasteurized garbage they sell in grocery stores!

Regarding cholesterol: my understanding is that a healthy human liver makes all of the cholesterol the body will ever need, so any dietary considerations of it are typically unnecessary.

FYI, there is a lot of nutritional research out there which supports a (well-planned) vegan diet as one that can best combat heart disease (one source among many: American Heart Association). I know that it has helped multiple people in my extended family with cardiovascular problems and other health issues.

I have personally been 100% vegan for almost a decade now, with nearly all of my diet the whole-food/unprocessed version. No major health problems so far. Steady BMI of about 19. My only dietary supplements are vitamin B12, vitamin D3 (from lichens), and DHA/EPA Omega-3 (from algae). As far as exercise goes, I don’t do anything outrageous: some combination of jogging, yoga, rock climbing, and pick-up soccer maybe 2-3 times a week.

Good for you for taking your health seriously, Fansince88! I hope everything works out well for you.

Thanks Comrad. I cannot do the vegan route although I do not judge those who pick that eating lifestyle. I have gone more of a "healthy Keto" direction. Looking forward to reducing my meds soon as I plan to go back to intermittent fasting. Cant skip  meals when I have to take pills in the AM and PM.  @53yo I am in the best weight since I was in high school. As far as the Sauerkraut goes, how much of each do you add? 

• Cheers 2

I grew up working on a produce farm. Hay season during the Summer was tough, long 12 hour days. Winter was spent in the barn trimming cabbage.

When trimming heads, you give 'em a good thump with the knife. You do this wanting to find out if the inside is good or not. A hollow sound means the inside is rotten. Of course, it was proper etiquette that if you found a hollow one, you would cut it in half so everyone at the trim station could all share in the smell.

Working that hard as a youth instilled some good traits that have served me well throughout life. Many good memories of the brotherhood we shared. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Foxx said:

I grew up working on a produce farm. Hay season during the Summer was tough, long 12 hour days. Winter was spent in the barn trimming cabbage.

When trimming heads, you give 'em a good thump with the knife. You do this wanting to find out if the inside is good or not. A hollow sound means the inside is rotten. Of course, it was proper etiquette that if you found a hollow one, you would cut it in half so everyone at the trim station could all share in the smell.

Working that hard as a youth instilled some good traits that have served me well throughout life. Many good memories of the brotherhood we shared. 

Working hard as a youth is definitely missed by many youth these days. We were sure to make our 3 children enjoy working around the house and on any side jobs I may have had along the way. Just as my parents did with me we had a rule, get your permit at 16 and begin looking for means of employment to pay for the insurance on the car you are going to purchase to get you to and from that job. I now can say I raised 3 functional additions to a society that I am proud of. Not proud of the society but of the additions.

• Cheers 2