Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Eating for health

Fansince88

ComradeKayAdams
19 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Thanks Comrad. I cannot do the vegan route although I do not judge those who pick that eating lifestyle. I have gone more of a "healthy Keto" direction. Looking forward to reducing my meds soon as I plan to go back to intermittent fasting. Cant skip  meals when I have to take pills in the AM and PM.  @53yo I am in the best weight since I was in high school. As far as the Sauerkraut goes, how much of each do you add? 

So I actually haven’t made sauerkraut in a while and don’t have my recipe binder conveniently nearby, but I do remember an “8/8/8/4/4/4” numerical rule of thumb that I think went something like this:

8 cups of water

8 teaspoons of salt

8 chopped garlic cloves (not weighed)

4 chopped red onions (not weighed)

4 pounds of cabbage

4 weeks of fermentation at room temperature

This is a very basic recipe for a very large batch. Feel free to experiment with other veggies and seasonings!

You should also check out Dan Buettner’s seminal book, “The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who’ve Lived the Longest.” A number of common-sense commonalities certainly appear across all types of successful diets: minimal processed food, minimal added sugar, portion moderation, good hydration, etc.

If you do eventually decide to give veganism a try, please give me a holler for advice! I began the diet purely for ethical and environmental reasons, so I ended up having to learn many of the nutritional health “tricks of the trade” through an unnecessarily arduous initial period of trial and error. The main takeaway here is to incorporate a large enough variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds in order to meet your body’s full list of macronutrient and micronutrient needs (try the Cronometer app, too!). The human gut biome flourishes with fiber diversity.

I’ve never tried intermittent fasting, but I have heard about it from friends and will consider giving it a shot in the future. There seems to be a large array of fasting plans to try, with an equally large range of difficulty levels (in terms of personal willpower).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

So I actually haven’t made sauerkraut in a while and don’t have my recipe binder conveniently nearby, but I do remember an “8/8/8/4/4/4” numerical rule of thumb that I think went something like this:

8 cups of water

8 teaspoons of salt

8 chopped garlic cloves (not weighed)

4 chopped red onions (not weighed)

4 pounds of cabbage

4 weeks of fermentation at room temperature

This is a very basic recipe for a very large batch. Feel free to experiment with other veggies and seasonings!

You should also check out Dan Buettner’s seminal book, “The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who’ve Lived the Longest.” A number of common-sense commonalities certainly appear across all types of successful diets: minimal processed food, minimal added sugar, portion moderation, good hydration, etc.

If you do eventually decide to give veganism a try, please give me a holler for advice! I began the diet purely for ethical and environmental reasons, so I ended up having to learn many of the nutritional health “tricks of the trade” through an unnecessarily arduous initial period of trial and error. The main takeaway here is to incorporate a large enough variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds in order to meet your body’s full list of macronutrient and micronutrient needs (try the Cronometer app, too!). The human gut biome flourishes with fiber diversity.

I’ve never tried intermittent fasting, but I have heard about it from friends and will consider giving it a shot in the future. There seems to be a large array of fasting plans to try, with an equally large range of difficulty levels (in terms of personal willpower).

The bride started it this summer when school got out. She is a bus monitor and riding the bus with an empty stomach doesnt do well for her. She has since started loosing weight. The thought process is to eat two meals within 6 hours and go 18 before the next. Like lunch at 12 and dinner at 6. If 3 meals a low glycemic meal in the am. The goal is to lower your insulin intolerance and curve. This helps to lose weight but moreso to bring your sugar levels down. 

As far as trying vegan it will need to wait. I just purchased a new charcoal grill. 😆.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Fansince88

1 year ago at this very minute my wife was rushing me to the hospital and I found out I had a heart attack. 1 stent later and a year of overcoming the struggle in my mind with every feeling and wondering if that is another issue. Thankful and blessed to be improving.  

• Applause 3
  • Love 1