Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2023 NFL Quarterback Carousel

B-Man

47 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

How does this hurt/help Wilson/Broncos? 

Because when Payton tells the OL to play OLE they will still have to pay Russell to not cook.
Matador Torero GIF by jsot - Find & Share on GIPHY

12 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

How does this hurt/help Wilson/Broncos? 

I don't completely understand contracts and how all the wording/payouts work but I'll give my best understanding of it here...

From my understanding, it hurts Wilson because he will not get most of that contract extension he signed. He is currently playing on the contract he was under when he played in Seattle. The new contract he signed was an extension to that previously existing one. That said, however, I think he did get the signing bonus and whatever other bonuses' are available these days that let you spread the money out over future years, from that extension. So to that end, (this is where it hurts Denver) the Broncos have a dead cap of $85mm to account for. They can take it in one year (ala Tom Brady and the Bucs this year) or spread it out over two.

It helps Wilson because he may find a better situation where the coach doesn't hate him and he will probably make close to what he was going to get from the Broncos, slightly less perhaps. And because Wilson understands he can make close to what he wants, and have a say in where he lands, it is probably why he rejected the pay cut Payton wanted him to take. It helps the Broncos because Payton can go after a QB who fits his vision. 

A couple of Xeets to support the above.

Ouch!

Dead Cap

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nanker said:

The J-E-S-T-S! 

Well, someone's got to back up AaRod when he decides he needs an ayahuasca retreat to get right.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Ann said:

I questioned his decision to take the job based on Wilson being there and the draft picks/roster construction he was walking into.  Payton is a smart dude but he should have held out for a better situation (like San Diego).

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
17 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I questioned his decision to take the job based on Wilson being there and the draft picks/roster construction he was walking into.  Payton is a smart dude but he should have held out for a better situation (like San Diego).

Really?  How's that work?

"Yeah, I want to work with an over-the-hill semi-retired QB, but the Jets already have Saleh..."  

• Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

The gist of this article is pretty much what it says: criticizing Daboll for not telling Pam Oliver he was benching DeVito for Taylor before he actually did it.

And I'm sitting here wondering, has there ever been a coach who told a sideline reporter at halftime "Yeah, I'm going to switch QBs for the second half, because so-and-so just isn't getting it done?"  Really, can anyone think of that ever happening?

(And of course it's a Carron J. Phillips article, so it has to strongly suggest "It's because Pam Oliver is black."  When I'm thinking "No, it's because no coach ever does this.")

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

The gist of this article is pretty much what it says: criticizing Daboll for not telling Pam Oliver he was benching DeVito for Taylor before he actually did it.

And I'm sitting here wondering, has there ever been a coach who told a sideline reporter at halftime "Yeah, I'm going to switch QBs for the second half, because so-and-so just isn't getting it done?"  Really, can anyone think of that ever happening?

(And of course it's a Carron J. Phillips article, so it has to strongly suggest "It's because Pam Oliver is black."  When I'm thinking "No, it's because no coach ever does this.")

The real question is did Pam claim she didnt speak to him not true? They often claim they did so it could work both ways. I dub this "sideline reporter gate".

54 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Because... the media is entitled, so shudddup. Or something, something, something.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Because... the media is entitled, so shudddup. Or something, something, something.

Next up, the sideline reporters are going to throw hissy fits if the head coaches don’t share their game plans and list of plays they’re going to use at the start of each half. 

Edited by Nanker
Selling mystic
  • Cheers 2