Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What's visiting your yard?

Mahoney

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

A couple of years ago. Didn't make it to the yard because he obeyed the sign.

20200807_071311.jpg

Mr Ed is not impressed with deer who can merely read and obey. Let’s hear their opinions global warming and the relativity of time. 

CarpetCrawler

Had a female mallard poking around in my shrubs yesterday. I'm close to water, like a quarter mile, but that's not duck close. 

It shuffled around for 10 minutes or so and just when I went in to get my wife to take a look, it flew away.

• Like 2

ExiledInIllinois
7 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Had a female mallard poking around in my shrubs yesterday. I'm close to water, like a quarter mile, but that's not duck close. 

It shuffled around for 10 minutes or so and just when I went in to get my wife to take a look, it flew away.

UT oh! 😉 Someone's gonna have a baby! Or... Maybe NOT. 

...Also, if you meet a wild duck, it’s an omen of you being successful. But if it’s a quacking duck, it means that there is rain coming.

When you meet a mother duck, it’s something nice coming your way. You’ll be about to go through a life full of profit. If you are a woman, expect to give birth soon."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

...Also, if you meet a wild duck, it’s an omen of you being successful. But if it’s a quacking duck, it means that there is rain coming.

When you meet a mother duck, it’s something nice coming your way. You’ll be about to go through a life full of profit. If you are a woman, expect to give birth soon."

what if the duck asks for some grapes?

• Haha 2

CarpetCrawler
4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

• Haha 1

RochesterRob

Female Cardinal built a nest in a lilac bush just outside of the window from where I sit when using the computer.  I did not think that they built nests this late in the spring unless something happened to the old nest.

• Like 2

CarpetCrawler

Has anyone heard the sound of foxes mating? There was a God-awful sound in my backyard a couple of weeks ago, it was similar to cats mating (I've heard that before and this wasn't it), but harsher, more guttural, and it lasted at least 20 minutes. 

I've searched and heard a sort of screaming sound they make, it's close. And I know when dogs mate they are connected for 10 or 15 minutes, so I'm taking a guess. 

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Has anyone heard the sound of foxes mating? There was a God-awful sound in my backyard a couple of weeks ago, it was similar to cats mating (I've heard that before and this wasn't it), but harsher, more guttural, and it lasted at least 20 minutes. 

I've searched and heard a sort of screaming sound they make, it's close. And I know when dogs mate they are connected for 10 or 15 minutes, so I'm taking a guess. 

When we lived further into the canyon here we heard coyotes mating…or killing each other…..several times.

• Like 2

Rabbits are thriving in my yard. 
I want to kill every dead-eyed one of them, but I’d be homeless in a matter of hours if I did. 

• Cheers 2

CarpetCrawler
2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

When we lived further into the canyon here we heard coyotes mating…or killing each other…..several times.

Skip to about 40 seconds, that's exactly what we heard. It's like sounds from Hell.

Good to know it wasn't a cat getting killed.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 5/14/2023 at 3:57 PM, CarpetCrawler said:

Skip to about 40 seconds, that's exactly what we heard. It's like sounds from Hell.

Good to know it wasn't a cat getting killed.

Oh, we've heard that before.  Maybe about once a year.

I always figured it was a stray cat getting killed.

• Like 2

My wife was in a panic over the 2”-3” long ‘hornet’ in the yard this morning.

Turns out it was just a Murder Jerusalem Cricket.  lol

IMG_2023-5-16-122141.jpeg

Edited by KD in CA
  • Haha 2

ExiledInIllinois

New broods of Canada geese @ lock. I think the coyotes got one family. Nest was devasted, few broken eggs. But this one family made it out of da hood! 

It's all about: Location, location, location and where you build your nest! 😏 

OBrienLockCanadaGeeseBrood_05122023.thumb.jpeg.9cab2014d1f554c0fd451e8176ad8181.jpegOBrienLockCanadaGeeseBrood_05122023(1).thumb.jpeg.df0b4ab3725398f3116996a421eafed5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

IDBillzFan

We have all kinds of birds here and keep a lot of food out for them around the property. We have bald eagles nearby as well, but have never had any on our property.

We also multiple hawks, wild turkeys, elk, moose and a family of deer that lives on our property. We have to be careful because the fawns are about to show up again. They get placed in high grass, and you need to keep your eyes open when on the riding mower.

From last year. Second image is my office window. They keep trying to eat the plan on the window sill.

Deer Garden 1.jpg

Deer Window 2.jpg

• Like 5

This wasn't technically in my yard, but I got a good snap of Tom a couple hundred feet from my driveway.  There's a flock of about 20 turkeys that live in the neighborhood;  we see them almost every day.

IMG_2023-5-25-162925.jpg

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like 4
  • Love 1