Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What's visiting your yard?

Mahoney

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 5/25/2023 at 7:32 PM, KD in CA said:

This wasn't technically in my yard, but I got a good snap of Tom a couple hundred feet from my driveway.  There's a flock of about 20 turkeys that live in the neighborhood;  we see them almost every day.

IMG_2023-5-25-162925.jpg

Different Tom.  I was nowhere near your neighborhood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/25/2023 at 4:32 PM, KD in CA said:

This wasn't technically in my yard, but I got a good snap of Tom a couple hundred feet from my driveway.  There's a flock of about 20 turkeys that live in the neighborhood;  we see them almost every day.

IMG_2023-5-25-162925.jpg

I had one 2 doors down this morning. 

We've got a flock of dems around as well.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Different Tom.  I was nowhere near your neighborhood.

I always knew you were a turkey.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Jabba The Hutt

Approached by a large beautiful Alligator Snapping Turtle yesterday while walking the goats at our pond! So exciting to have one on the property!

Also saw a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak on our Corinthian Bell while heading back to the house.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

There's a deer and a rabbit in the back yard, playing together.  Rabbit will run up to the deer, deer bends down to sniff it, rabbit runs away.  Repeat about four times.

• Cheers 2

RochesterRob
On 6/9/2023 at 5:48 AM, Jabba The Hutt said:

Approached by a large beautiful Alligator Snapping Turtle yesterday while walking the goats at our pond! So exciting to have one on the property!

Also saw a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak on our Corinthian Bell while heading back to the house.

I saw a snapping turtle down by the creek a good half mile from the road.  The woods start about another 30 feet away from the creek.  He was about 12 inches across but I did not have my tape measure on me to double check my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

I saw a snapping turtle down by the creek a good half mile from the road.  The woods start about another 30 feet away from the creek.  He was about 12 inches across but I did not have my tape measure on me to double check my eyes.

Oh, the horror:
(Growing up in Jersey we always knew to approach with large stick in hand to distract any bite)
Invasive species — a threat to ‘human hands and feet’ — found in western Oregon
https://www.oregonlive.com/environment/2023/05/invasive-species-a-threat-to-human-hands-and-feet-found-in-western-oregon.html

RochesterRob
40 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Oh, the horror:
(Growing up in Jersey we always knew to approach with large stick in hand to distract any bite)
Invasive species — a threat to ‘human hands and feet’ — found in western Oregon
https://www.oregonlive.com/environment/2023/05/invasive-species-a-threat-to-human-hands-and-feet-found-in-western-oregon.html

Other than not readily finding a warm basement for the winter I am honestly surprised I have not encountered a non-native snake (read python or even cobra) down there.  It's not that far from an area commercial corridor.  There is always some fool that gets bored or can't manage such an animal and releases it without thinking of the impact.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Wow 1

RochesterRob

Fox report.  Just 10 minutes ago there was a fox that ran like a shot squarely up the lower driveway made a right to the driveway by the house then ran between the wife's car and the house then north through some bushes.  I probably was no more than 25 feet away at the closest juncture with the fox.  I don't think he was rabid but just startled.  Fox den in a sandy ridge 750 feet from the turtle sighting a half mile in the opposite direction from the road mentioned in my turtle post.  Probably a different fox and family.  Not sure where the one I saw tonight came from as they like high ground and easy digging.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Fox report.  Just 10 minutes ago there was a fox that ran like a shot squarely up the lower driveway made a right to the driveway by the house then ran between the wife's car and the house then north through some bushes.  I probably was no more than 25 feet away at the closest juncture with the fox.  I don't think he was rabid but just startled.  Fox den in a sandy ridge 750 feet from the turtle sighting a half mile in the opposite direction from the road mentioned in my turtle post.  Probably a different fox and family.  Not sure where the one I saw tonight came from as they like high ground and easy digging.  

Were there hounds and horsemen not far behind?

• Haha 3

We've had several lizards crawling on the lanai screens. The other day two were inside, on the door, looking for a way out (how did they know that was the way out!?!?) Those were brown anole.  On the outside of the door was a green one (that did some kind of bullfrog thing with his throat that resulted more color... a green anole?) looking in at his buddies. 

Hubby went out, opened the screen door, and used the hose to move them along. Well, the brown anole went bye-bye. The green guy came back for a few more free showers before he moved along.  

Usually the brown anole live near the garbage cans where a skink will join them occasionally. This was the first time I saw them exercising on the screens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ann said:

We've had several lizards crawling on the lanai screens. The other day two were inside, on the door, looking for a way out (how did they know that was the way out!?!?) Those were brown anole.  On the outside of the door was a green one (that did some kind of bullfrog thing with his throat that resulted more color... a green anole?) looking in at his buddies. 

Hubby went out, opened the screen door, and used the hose to move them along. Well, the brown anole went bye-bye. The green guy came back for a few more free showers before he moved along.  

Usually the brown anole live near the garbage cans where a skink will join them occasionally. This was the first time I saw them exercising on the screens. 

Yes, anoles are usually accompanied by skink.

• Facepalm 1

Jabba The Hutt
7 hours ago, Ann said:

They LOVE the lanai screens ours was basically coated in lizard shit. The Brown Anole is actually invasive as it overtook the native Green Anole.

Them flexing their neck gizzard thingy is what they do when they see each other as a dominance thingy, they also do it when they see you as a warning, males more than others, same with their head bopping.

1 hour ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

They LOVE the lanai screens ours was basically coated in lizard shit. The Brown Anole is actually invasive as it overtook the native Green Anole.

Them flexing their neck gizzard thingy is what they do when they see each other as a dominance thingy, they also do it when they see you as a warning, males more than others, same with their head bopping.

The other way around, the green one is originally from Cuba. How did they hitch a ride to the US? 

Jabba The Hutt
30 minutes ago, Ann said:

The other way around, the green one is originally from Cuba. How did they hitch a ride to the US? 

Good question...I think Fidel sent them on the boats:classic_laugh: I believe I have the correct colors off the top of my head?

On 6/13/2023 at 12:33 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

There's a deer and a rabbit in the back yard, playing together.  Rabbit will run up to the deer, deer bends down to sniff it, rabbit runs away.  Repeat about four times.

thumper gifs | WiffleGif

CarpetCrawler
On 6/15/2023 at 9:36 PM, Fansince88 said:

4 1/2 foot long Rat Snake.....well 4 foot now.

I remember taking half a foot off of a 3-foot garter snake when I was clearing some property. The head was snapping at me for a good 20 minutes while I was digging a hole for it, and even as I was burying it it took a couple of bites at the shovel.

Like it was from Hell, I've always hated snakes.

• Like 4