Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Dorsey [Fired]

Dubs

Why they weren't running the ball nearly exclusively last night will remain a mystery.  Denver's run D is beyond putrid.

Except for the handoff Allen inexplicably dropped before getting to Cook, all the turnovers were on passes.  (Yes, the Cook lost fumble was on Cook, but that too was off a pass.)

But it is interesting how the D blitzing and giving up a DPI on the last real play of the game and the STs running too many men onto the field is the straw that cost the OC his job after his crew left the game with the lead.

(In no way am saying canning Dorsey doesn't have merit, just saying that the timing is strange.  Allen was horrible and the STs had myriad issues last night but Dorsey is gone.  Did he bench Cook?  Had figured that was on McDermott as well.  If it was Dorsey's call, then yes, he earned the canning last night.)

• Like 3

Really? A month ago? Something happened on that trip to England. The defense got decimated, but something also happened to the offense. I don't know what, but I doubt anyone predicted this season going the way it did after the Miami win.

really.jpg.ce89d984fb389f448f2559d675e98940.jpg

• Like 3

Deranged Rhino
12 minutes ago, Ann said:

Really? A month ago? Something happened on that trip to England. The defense got decimated, but something also happened to the offense. I don't know what, but I doubt anyone predicted this season going the way it did after the Miami win.

really.jpg.ce89d984fb389f448f2559d675e98940.jpg

Before the Bengals game the cameras had Josh and the offense in the tunnel before the game and we heard a little bit of Josh's speech. He said something that struck me at the time. (Paraphrased) He said something like "no matter what's going on in our personal lives, leave it all in the tunnel". While that's pretty standard pre-game hype talk, something about him pointing out off the field issues right before playing the biggest game of the season so far seemed telling. 

I really wonder if there's something (or lots of somethings) going on behind the scenes that's impacted Josh beyond the shoulder and/or coaching drama. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • Applause 1

40 minutes ago, Foxx said:

McD had to do something. The offense has not been good for over a year now.

The question now becomes, will McD be able to save his job, or will this end up being a Rex Ryan move.

bingo

51 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wow.

Did not see that one coming (this soon).

Agreed. I was totally surprised by the news.

Please, no more Josh "best buds" for coaches. 

Can dump and replace the backup QB "best bud" too while they're at it.

Hopefully the new guy can draw up some slants, some deeper TE throws, fewer throws out beyond the numbers, a few designed QB runs.  But as much as I didn't like the plays, Dorsey did get results. 

Dorsey didn't lose that game last night.  He didn't let throws fly through his hands.  He didn't make poor decisions on where and when to throw the ball.  He didn't fumble.  He didn't bench the most effective RB playing against a putrid run defense.  He didn't commit a terrible pass interference penalty in a crucial moment (that second all-out blitz worked).  He didn't call stupid timeouts at the end of the game.  He wasn't responsible for counting to 11.    

Edited by snafu
  • Like 1

Nouseforaname
33 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Why they weren't running the ball nearly exclusively last night will remain a mystery.  Denver's run D is beyond putrid.

Except for the handoff Allen inexplicably dropped before getting to Cook, all the turnovers were on passes.  (Yes, the Cook lost fumble was on Cook, but that too was off a pass.)

But it is interesting how the D blitzing and giving up a DPI on the last real play of the game and the STs running too many men onto the field is the straw that cost the OC his job after his crew left the game with the lead.

(In no way am saying canning Dorsey doesn't have merit, just saying that the timing is strange.  Allen was horrible and the STs had myriad issues last night but Dorsey is gone.  Did he bench Cook?  Had figured that was on McDermott as well.  If it was Dorsey's call, then yes, he earned the canning last night.)

Listen to McD's press conference.

"That's a talented offense but the defense worked their asses off with 5 defensive starters missing."

He feels that the offense should do more and they didn't.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

CarpetCrawler
59 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I'm less shocked it happened than I am shocked it happened so immediately.

McDermott must have been feeling some serious heat on himself to do it this quickly.

• Like 2

Nouseforaname
1 minute ago, CarpetCrawler said:

McDermott must have been feeling some serious heat on himself to do it this quickly.

The writing was on the wall for a while.  Knowing that they were facing the Jests next week, I don't think he had a choice.

7 minutes ago, snafu said:

Hopefully the new guy can draw up some slants, some deeper TE throws, fewer throws out beyond the numbers, a few designed QB runs.  But as much as I didn't like the plays, Dorsey did get results. 

Dorsey didn't lose that game last night.  He didn't let throws fly through his hands.  He didn't make poor decisions on where and when to throw the ball.  He didn't fumble.  He didn't bench the most effective RB playing against a putrid run defense.  He didn't commit a terrible pass interference penalty in a crucial moment (that second all-out blitz worked).  He didn't call stupid timeouts at the end of the game.  He wasn't responsible for counting to 11.    

Dorsey did lose that game. The refusal

to run the ball when it was plainly obvious the Broncos were powerless to stop it was infuriating.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Cheers 1

Hopefully we are done seeing Josh looking like his grandma got run over by a reindeer soon. This season is completely shot though. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him get IR'd and fully healthy for next year. The guy that sent 200 letters to try and get a college coach to give him an opportunity, isn't the guy currently on sidelines, but hopefully it's still in there somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

SquirminThurman
31 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It's been a common occurrence in the JA years.

Most games, even a putrid offensive showing, JA wills the team to a lead with 3:00 or less left in the game and the ST and DEF shits the bed. no wonder JA looks shell shocked on the sideline.

The frustrating thing is it often happens when the DEF has played well enough to keep the team in the game for 3+ quarters.... ST and DEF have robbed JA of dozens of GWD/ 4th QTR comebacks. We see it every 3-4 weeks.

iow does that happen with a DEF HC? If you put Allen on the Jets with a Saleh led ST/DEF does this happen???

This is why I am ok moving on from the whole staff this offseason. Retool and go with a 2-3 year plan.

A few weeks back I warmed to the idea of moving on from McDermott and going for an offensive HC. Why try to squeak out wins with your 'defensive genius' when your team can be up 10-14 instead???

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, snafu said:

the offense is a clone of what NE ran with Brady and Gronk.

The TE down the seam is in the playbook. 

needs to be practiced, called and executed.

However, I fear that all is still not well. 

It seems that the players are on a mission to get a certain coach fired.

Things don't change until he's gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SquirminThurman said:

It's been a common occurrence in the JA years.

Most games, even a putrid offensive showing, JA wills the team to a lead with 3:00 or less left in the game and the ST and DEF shits the bed. no wonder JA looks shell shocked on the sideline.

The frustrating thing is it often happens when the DEF has played well enough to keep the team in the game for 3+ quarters.... ST and DEF have robbed JA of dozens of GWD/ 4th QTR comebacks. We see it every 3-4 weeks.

iow does that happen with a DEF HC? If you put Allen on the Jets with a Saleh led ST/DEF does this happen???

This is why I am ok moving on from the whole staff this offseason. Retool and go with a 2-3 year plan.

A few weeks back I warmed to the idea of moving on from McDermott and going for an offensive HC. Why try to squeak out wins with your 'defensive genius' when your team can be up 10-14 instead???

My biggest concern with getting rid of McDermott is am not convinced that Beane will be willing to do that yet.  And absolutely would rather keep McDermott if that is what it takes to keep Beane rather than lose them both.

Beane has assembled 3 teams that when healthy are (should be?) legit Superbowl contenders.  Would hate to see us back looking for a guy that MIGHT be that good again.  John Butler totally screwing up the cap followed by 17 years in the desert are etched deeply.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

to run the ball when it was plainly obvious the Broncos were powerless to stop it was infuriating.

I completely agree that there should have been more run calls.  They ran the ball 26 times and threw 26 times.  That's probably more running than they usually do.  And in any event, the offense got results -- save for 4 turnovers.  Especially the interception on that throw to Davis and the effed-up handoff to Cook.  

6 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

However, I fear that all is still not well. 

It seems that the players are on a mission to get a certain coach fired.

Things don't change until he's gone.

All is not well, agreed.  But to make the jump to "the players would rather go 5-5 and lose a shot to win the division just to get the O-Coordinator fired"?  Not buying that for a second.

1 minute ago, snafu said:

I completely agree that there should have been more run calls.  They ran the ball 26 times and threw 26 times.  That's probably more running than they usually do.  And in any event, the offense got results -- save for 4 turnovers.  Especially the interception on that throw to Davis and the effed-up handoff to Cook.  

All is not well, agreed.  But to make the jump to "the players would rather go 5-5 and lose a shot to win the division just to get the O-Coordinator fired"?  Not buying that for a second.

not the OC

McD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

It was and has been in a few games this year.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, snafu said:

I completely agree that there should have been more run calls.  They ran the ball 26 times and threw 26 times.  That's probably more running than they usually do. 

Runs/passes did even out by the end of the game but in the 1st half and a bit beyond that I think, passes vs runs were 2:1 and they weren't having success in the passing game.  They were having success running the ball though.  

Edited by Ninety-4
  • Cheers 2

SquirminThurman
30 minutes ago, snafu said:

He's not talking about the Offensive Coordinator...