Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Dorsey [Fired]

Dubs

SquirminThurman
Just now, snafu said:

Yeah, I saw that.

Preposterous!

Not really. How many times has JA and the offense left the field with the lead and 3:00 or less in the game, only to see the ST and DEF fail to stop the other team?

Winning ugly is an art. McDermott's defenses, even undermanned, are often good enough to keep the team in the game, but they fail over and over again in protecting late leads. I can think of 8-10 games the Bills lost where JA walked off the field for the last time with the lead and lost. Regular season and playoffs. That has to mount up in a QB head.

Maybe an offensive minded HC creates a 9-14 point lead and limits the nail biter disappointments???

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

Not really. How many times has JA and the offense left the field with the lead and 3:00 or less in the game, only to see the ST and DEF fail to stop the other team?

Winning ugly is an art. McDermott's defenses, even undermanned, are often good enough to keep the team in the game, but they fail over and over again in protecting late leads. I can think of 8-10 games the Bills lost where JA walked off the field for the last time with the lead and lost. Regular season and playoffs. That has to mount up in a QB head.

Maybe an offensive minded HC creates a 9-14 point lead and limits the nail biter disappointments???

It’s not surprising. Generally speaking, when a defense is constantly on the field and being put in poor situations, they wear down. Wearing down shows up most at the end of the game. It’s not to say they’ve been great, they haven’t, but for the better part of a full season, they’ve been ok and the offense has been terrible. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

It is preposterous. Who threw the game?  The offense that scored late?  The Defense that held the game close for as long as possible?  What you're implying doesn't make sense.

Last night, JA and the Offense should have left the field up at least 14.  Last week, the offense was driving deep into Cincinnati territory to close in on the lead when Kinkaid coughed up the ball.  The Defense allowed that situation to be close.

Football players have an average length of time in the league of about three years.  You think they want to throw away a season where they were above .500 and certainly within shouting distance of the division lead just to grease the skids for their HC to get fired? 

Last night (and last week), the injury-depleted defense bailed out the offense.  Taron Johnson failed to turn his head around at a crucial time on an underthrown ball.  The pass was underthrown because Wilson was actually crapping his pants while he flung it up for a prayer.  If Johnson turned his head, we all would be saying what a gutsy call that second blitz was.  I still say it took guts -- and we never saw that with Frasier calling the Defense.  These last two weeks are not the examples to point to in order to call out the Offense's frustration with McDermott's late-game defense.

Edited by snafu
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Nouseforaname
13 minutes ago, snafu said:

It is preposterous. Who threw the game?  The offense that scored late?  The Defense that held the game close for as long as possible?  What you're implying doesn't make sense.

Last night, JA and the Offense should have left the field up at least 14.  Last week, the offense was driving deep into Cincinnati territory to close in on the lead when Kinkaid coughed up the ball.  The Defense allowed that situation to be close.

Football players have an average length of time in the league of about three years.  You think they want to throw away a season where they were above .500 and certainly within shouting distance of the division lead just to grease the skids for their HC to get fired? 

Last night (and last week), the injury-depleted defense bailed out the offense.  Taron Johnson failed to turn his head around at a crucial time on an underthrown ball.  The pass was underthrown because Wilson was actually crapping his pants while he flung it up for a prayer.  If Johnson turned his head, we all would be saying what a gutsy call that second blitz was.  I still say it took guts -- and we never saw that with Frasier calling the Defense.  These last two weeks are not the examples to point to in order to call out the Offense's frustration with McDermott's late-game defense.

Is there really any logic in discussing stuff with @Spartacus? Pretty soon we'll hear how the jab messed up with the ST coordinator's ability to count. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

I get what your saying there but the defense has also been on the field a hell of a lot more than the offense. Last night TOP was like 37 to 22 so of course by the end of a game they'll be worn out. The best defense is an offense that puts up points while keeping the other offense off the field and their own defense rested up

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, CarpetCrawler said:

McDermott must have been feeling some serious heat on himself to do it this quickly.

Highest winning percentage of all Bills coaches.  

If he was feeling that much heat, that he was forced to release Dorsey so precipitously, then Beane, Pegula, or both are idiots.

McD deserves more heat for not hiring a DC.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
35 minutes ago, snafu said:

Yeah, I saw that.

Preposterous!

Players did it with Hank Bullough.

Of course, Bullough's winning percentage was about 18%, not 63%, with exactly zero playoff appearances.

Nouseforaname
4 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Highest winning percentage of all Bills coaches.  

If he was feeling that much heat, that he was forced to release Dorsey so precipitously, then Beane, Pegula, or both are idiots.

McD deserves more heat for not hiring a DC.

He may have a great winning percentage but he's made tons of unforced errors over the years including the drama of 'deeply concerned' over the summer.

I would have never called for the coaches head but last night was an abomination.  That was preparation.  

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Nouseforaname said:

He may have a great winning percentage but he's made tons of unforced errors over the years including the drama of 'deeply concerned' over the summer.

I would have never called for the coaches head but last night was an abomination.  That was preparation.  

That wasn't preparation, that was lack of accountability.  I don't even have to watch the game to know that.

It's also a coach so busy being his own DC he's not paying attention to his HC duties.  I wish I'd posted my concerns in the preseason, so I could honestly say "I told you so."

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

But Frazier was never fired, ergo no vacancy.

No, but he did "take a year off," which does leave the position vacant.  

Either way...they still could have named an "interim" DC.  McDermott didn't have to take the responsibility on himself.  

Not making excuses because injuries happen in this sport have play the players you have and make it work in the case of defense. On the other hand the offensive side of ball pretty much relatively healthy except for knox. With 2nd year cook and Dalton Kincaid and Torrence no other significant additions. Murray was a good pick up. The bills never addressed a #2 wr in the offseason they start to address interior line with Torrence but will need refortify the line which would allow Allen more time. Pretty much same personnel. Offense execution inconsistent run game not reliable wr#2 receivers turnovers and penalties killed this offense coupled with play calling that can’t adjust to flow of game. Now given age of some of core player it is time to retool the team. Imo work on creating more cap space and acquire draft capital to retool/rebuild quickly as Allen in prime. What is disturbing is the squandering of the talent of this team.

14 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

No, but he did "take a year off," which does leave the position vacant.  

Either way...they still could have named an "interim" DC.  McDermott didn't have to take the responsibility on himself.  

Still a precarious situation for someone taking on the interim title. The whole "year off" thing is funky.

1 hour ago, Hedge said:

Hopefully we are done seeing Josh looking like his grandma got run over by a reindeer soon. This season is completely shot though. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him get IR'd and fully healthy for next year. The guy that send 200 letters to try and get a college coach to give him an opportunity, isn't the guy currently on sidelines, but hopefully it's still in there somewhere.

This is how he often looked 2-3 years ago:
image.thumb.png.b35b504c2aebc1aa1eab33ef91266f01.png

One year ago....

image.png.c680cb0b522783622136b6f0fcc288a9.png 

And now....

image.png.c9ad7934211b4a93dcd37c406491c834.png 

McDermott and Dorsey have him confused, frustrated, and flat out no longer in love with playing football.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
17 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

This is how he often looked 2-3 years ago:
image.thumb.png.b35b504c2aebc1aa1eab33ef91266f01.png

One year ago....

image.png.c680cb0b522783622136b6f0fcc288a9.png 

And now....

image.png.c9ad7934211b4a93dcd37c406491c834.png 

McDermott and Dorsey have him confused, frustrated, and flat out no longer in love with playing football.

Officials aren't helping either, with their bizarre intentional grounding and taunting nonsense.

But Josh's swagger completely disappeared between week 1 and week 2 this season, like someone flipped a switch.  You'd have a hard time convincing me that something wasn't said to him by someone.

• Like 5

SquirminThurman

There is a lot of recency bias here and in the replies. There have been plenty of times less injured versions of this team have crapped away late leads and Josh Allen Heroics.

Houston Texans playoff game, The 'Hail Murray' vs Arizona, vs Minnesota, '13 seconds' all off the top of my head.

'Defensive geniuses' don't let that happen to the point they have names for the casual NFL observer.

How about having an offensive HC that scores more often and goes up by 9+ with 3:00 left to go??? What a concept.

McDemrmott = Dungy. Good enough to take a bad team into relevance again, but not good enough to get over the hump.

2017 - Lost WC

2018 - DNQ (rookie QB)

2019 - Lost WC

2020 - Lost AFC Championship game

2021 - Lost DIV

2022 - Lost DIV

2023 - DNQ?

That is peaking and regression.

I do not want to see Josh Allen lose his passion for the game or waste his best years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1