Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

That was a horrible non call.

Ed Oliver is probably easier on his horses.

I can find plenty of instances of that not being called.  They call that about half the time.  

The definition of PI seems to be "not looking for the ball."  I was going to post the official rule...but I can't find it now.  

It's just another example of the NFL's bullshit officiating, though.  They can't really define DPI.  

Fansince88
3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I can find plenty of instances of that not being called.  They call that about half the time.  

The definition of PI seems to be "not looking for the ball."  I was going to post the official rule...but I can't find it now.  

It's just another example of the NFL's bullshit officiating, though.  They can't really define DPI.  

Isnt the call in question the one where he was tackled 2 plays before he was thrown the ball? 

Carl Cheffers 

edit

Referee Carl Cheffers, who is best known for making the controversial offsides call near the end of the Kansas City Chiefs' loss to the Buffalo Bills this season, was among the officials to find out his assignment for NFL Super Wild Card Weekend.

Edited by Shady
  • Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
18 hours ago, Shady said:

Carl Cheffers 

edit

Referee Carl Cheffers, who is best known for making the controversial offsides call near the end of the Kansas City Chiefs' loss to the Buffalo Bills this season, was among the officials to find out his assignment for NFL Super Wild Card Weekend.

Could be worse.  Could be Clete Blakeman.

I just can't bring myself to trust someone who's name is "Clete Blakeman."  Seriously.  Your name is "Clete Blakeman."  How can you not be a licensed, card-carrying &#%$head?  

• Like 3

Fansince88
On 1/8/2024 at 6:50 PM, Shady said:

Carl Cheffers 

edit

Referee Carl Cheffers, who is best known for making the controversial  accurate offsides call near the end of the Kansas City Chiefs' loss to the Buffalo Bills this season, was among the officials to find out his assignment for NFL Super Wild Card Weekend.

FIFY

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

https://nesn.com/bets/2024/01/chiefs-bills-clash-most-anticipated-game-of-the-playoffs/

A crucial aspect of this game is the officiating crew, led by referee Shawn Hochuli. This particular crew is known for their specific officiating style, which could swing in favor of Kansas City. 

Sunday night’s game is not just a playoff match; it’s a showcase of some of the best talents in the NFL today, promising to be an unforgettable spectacle.

Will Rodger make sure the showcase is officiated evenly?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shady said:

https://nesn.com/bets/2024/01/chiefs-bills-clash-most-anticipated-game-of-the-playoffs/

Will Rodger make sure the showcase is officiated evenly?

Fortunately, Hocculi might be the only official from his regular season crew reffing this game.  So, we'll get horrible calls around the QBs and at the O Line, but don't necessarily have to have horrible calls around the rest of the field.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Taylor Swift vs Super Bowl colors! Which will prevail?

Shawn Smith: NFL Referee Trends & Impact, Ravens vs. Chiefs

</snip>

On Tuesday, the NFL assigned Shawn Smith to ref the Chiefs road game against the Ravens in the AFC Championship Game.

Immediately, I groaned, as I knew his overwhelming tendency to favor the road team, and I wanted nothing more than to see as clean and unbiased a game as possible.

Home teams have won only 40.8% of games in the last three years with Smith as referee.

That is the lowest win rate for any referee in the NFL.

Across the NFL, home teams have won 55.4% of games during that span. With Smith, the rate precipitously drops down to 40.8%.

</snip>

Nouseforaname
21 minutes ago, Ann said:

Taylor Swift vs Super Bowl colors! Which will prevail?

Shawn Smith: NFL Referee Trends & Impact, Ravens vs. Chiefs

</snip>

On Tuesday, the NFL assigned Shawn Smith to ref the Chiefs road game against the Ravens in the AFC Championship Game.

Immediately, I groaned, as I knew his overwhelming tendency to favor the road team, and I wanted nothing more than to see as clean and unbiased a game as possible.

Home teams have won only 40.8% of games in the last three years with Smith as referee.

That is the lowest win rate for any referee in the NFL.

Across the NFL, home teams have won 55.4% of games during that span. With Smith, the rate precipitously drops down to 40.8%.

</snip>

I felt that Hochuli called a fair game against the Chefs.

• O Rly 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ann said:

Didn't you post a day or 2 ago that home teams won 40% of their games with this ref (realize the crew is different, but still the ref sets the tone) and in general home teams win 56% of their games?

Totally get why if that's the way his crews normally view the contest.

And, taunting in a championship game?  Seriously?

Personally, am good with the outcome as the Bills were the only team so far to come close to beating the Chefs in the playoffs.

• Cheers 2

• 1 month later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
27 minutes ago, Ann said:

They need a buzzer on the ball with flashing red lights. And even then, they'll screw it up.

11.jpg.5babc9bcbc1ac1a1cc0ec07a5d261ddc.jpg

Not a single one of these reviews will result in the result on the field being overturned, because there is never any "clear and obvious visual evidence" that contradicts the refs "look at the clock, then when it hits zero look at the ball to see if it's snapped."  

There's an inherent subjectivity that precludes any "clear" evidence.

• Like 1

Spartacus

never happen in the NFL

need those "bad spots" to help out in key moments

can't reduce the NFL's ability to influence game outcomes thru the officials 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/ufl-uses-six-4k-cameras-not-two-sticks-and-a-chain-to-measure-for-first-downs

The new United Football League, which kicked off its inaugural season today, employs something called TrU Line Technology, an advanced optical tracking system that works by installing six calibrated 4K cameras around each stadium. The league says that the 4K cameras can measure whether a football reached the line to gain more quickly and more accurately than the longstanding method of the officials spotting the ball with the naked eye and the chain gang measuring whether the offense advanced 10 yards.

“This innovative technology promises to deliver ball-spotting with unprecedentedly low latency and high accuracy, setting a new standard in sports technology and fan engagement,” the UFL said in a statement. “This partnership marks a significant leap forward in the league’s commitment to leveraging technology for the betterment of the game and its fans.”

• Like 1