Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do you think of the officiating in the NFL?

mead107

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

They always fine the players for criticizing the refs.  Nothing extraordinarily wrong about it - it's the standard.  

And I don't have an issue with that. That said, they need a "File a complaint" or grievance option for teams. Perhaps they do. That said, they need to fine the refs if they see something from said complaints. Perhaps donate the money to Perkins school for the blind. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ann said:

The refs watch game film to see what players to target for penalties 

It's such a shame that Blandino isn't the guy in NY doing the off-site review for ALL games for the NFL.  Almost always agree with his take on the questionable calls.  

Instead they have guys that make Gene Steratore seem like he actually knows the rulebook.  (No idea who Steratore has incriminating photos of over at CBS, because he gets stuff right less than 1/2 the time.)

• Cheers 1

Billsandhorns
42 minutes ago, Ann said:

The refs watch game film to see what players to target for penalties 

How about consistency across crews. From one game to another very similar plays. One called incomplete. Another called catch and fumble

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

How about consistency across crews. From one game to another very similar plays. One called incomplete. Another called catch and fumble

That is my biggest complaint. And they won't have consistency until there are full time referees that are all held to the same standard,
Until then Cookie the Bookie will have happy clients.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

It's such a shame that Blandino isn't the guy in NY doing the off-site review for ALL games for the NFL.  Almost always agree with his take on the questionable calls.  

Instead they have guys that make Gene Steratore seem like he actually knows the rulebook.  (No idea who Steratore has incriminating photos of over at CBS, because he gets stuff right less than 1/2 the time.)

There's a commentary video Blandino did regarding the non-call horsecollar/called intentional grounding in the Bills/Eagles game.

In it, he says that there should have been a horse collar called. He also says there was no receiver in the vicinity of Josh's attempted pass and that it was intentional grounding. Further, he says the two calls should have offset one another. 

He may get more right than wrong but it is really hard to miss Gabe being literally 2 yards away. 

Wasnt sure Id be able to find it but I did

• Like 3
  • clown 1

26 minutes ago, Foxx said:

There's a commentary video Blandino did regarding the non-call horsecollar/called intentional grounding in the Bills/Eagles game.

In it, he says that there should have been a horse collar called. He also says there was no receiver in the vicinity of Josh's attempted pass and that it was intentional grounding. Further, he says the two calls should have offset one another. 

He may get more right than wrong but it is really hard to miss Gabe being literally 2 yards away. 

Thing is, know that people say the ball hit the ground near Davis, but from the angle shown in Blandino's videos it looks like the ball hits the turf about 2' from Allen (and then bounces to near Davis).

Either way, 1st and goal from the 1-1/2 or 2nd and goal from the 3, the Bills should have at least 2 legit chances to punch it in rather than just one desperation attempt.

• Like 3

CarpetCrawler
56 minutes ago, Foxx said:

"Lotta moving parts" is his excuse for the horsecollar not being called??? I guess they weren't moving enough to prevent the grounding call....just the horsecollar.

Axxhole.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Thing is, know that people say the ball hit the ground near Davis, but from the angle shown in Blandino's videos it looks like the ball hits the turf about 2' from Allen (and then bounces to near Davis).

Either way, 1st and goal from the 1-1/2 or 2nd and goal from the 3, the Bills should have at least 2 legit chances to punch it in rather than just one desperation attempt.

I guess if the ball hit the ground two feet from where Josh was, the judgment would transfer to what the definition of, 'in the area', is.

This video from Cover 1 that I posted up thread shows an overhead from behind so it should be a relatively good view of the perspective from which to make that call.

The image at about the 17-second mark shows where the ball would have landed had it hit the ground two feet from where Josh released it, roughly the 15-yard line. It also shows Gabe at roughly the 11-yard line. 

Of course, I am no official, even though I like to play one on the interwebs at times, but it would seem to me that Gabe was in the area. 

IG.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I guess if the ball hit the ground two feet from where Josh was, the judgment would transfer to what the definition of, 'in the area', is.

This video from Cover 1 that I posted up thread shows an overhead from behind so it should be a relatively good view of the perspective from which to make that call.

The image at about the 17-second mark shows where the ball would have landed had it hit the ground two feet from where Josh released it, roughly the 15-yard line. It also shows Gabe at roughly the 11-yard line. 

Of course, I am no official, even though I like to play one on the interwebs at times, but it would seem to me that Gabe was in the area. 

IG.png

MHO, though Allen is trying to get the ball towards Davis, it does hit right where your video shows it.  And, also IMHO, that spot isn't anywhere close to Davis.  (Yes, we've seen the ball landing quite far from a running back get the benefit of the doubt often.  But the ball only travelled ~17% of how far it needed to travel to reach him.)

But it doesn't take away at all from the fact that the tackle should've been called a horsecollar.  Also, not sure about whether or how much Allen reacting to the illegal tackle should be taken into consideration when deciding whether it should've been called grounding in the 1st place.

• Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 11/30/2023 at 8:40 AM, Taro T said:

MHO, though Allen is trying to get the ball towards Davis, it does hit right where your video shows it.  And, also IMHO, that spot isn't anywhere close to Davis.  (Yes, we've seen the ball landing quite far from a running back get the benefit of the doubt often.  But the ball only travelled ~17% of how far it needed to travel to reach him.)

But it doesn't take away at all from the fact that the tackle should've been called a horsecollar.  Also, not sure about whether or how much Allen reacting to the illegal tackle should be taken into consideration when deciding whether it should've been called grounding in the 1st place.

But it wasn't a horse collar because his jersey was torn.  :classic_dry:

I will never forget watching a New England game and Brady absolutely livid about not getting some call, and then even more angry about NE getting called for (I think it was) intentional grounding. Those refs didn't know NE was exempt from most penalties, let alone at inconvenient times. :classic_laugh:

replacement.jpg.ccc98fce3dc6d6f6be5d3631ffe9641d.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

I'd add the out of bounds stiff arm that Mahomes put on a defender and knocked him to the ground.  I think we love to see QBs get physical on their runs but had a defender done the same, he certainly would have been flagged.  Mahomes dumped the guy and way out of bounds.  

• Cheers 1