Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 Cap Decrease + Possible Consequences [Cap is set at $182.5M]

Ann

Probably should have broken off the TV talks to another thread. Oh well...

This is from the Athletic (paid site)

What would ESPN look like without the NFL? Breaking down the TV deal talks

</snip>

I find this question so fascinating: What would ESPN look like without NFL game broadcasting rights?

If I were advising ESPN, I would really consider saying no to the NFL. You have $2.5 billion burning a hole in your pocket, and yes, you’re going to have to give cable operators and satellite distributors a certain rebate if you don’t have the NFL. But then you go and blow FOX out of the water for the Big Ten when those rights come up. You blow FOX out of the water for the Pac-12 the next time those rights come up. You get the NHL and you still have probably close to a billion dollars left over almost. So you own Saturday.

Sunday, you didn’t own anyway. I mean, you had some highlights rights for the NFL but everybody’s watching everything else. You are basically getting rid of the fourth-best NFL television package. You can either pay up and get the fourth-best package or you can own college football, which is the second most popular sport in America by far. In terms of the leverage the NFL has, I don’t think it is as huge as it once was. Certainly not with as far as ESPN is concerned.

</snip>

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Ann said:

Probably should have broken off the TV talks to another thread. Oh well...

This is from the Athletic (paid site)

What would ESPN look like without the NFL? Breaking down the TV deal talks

</snip>

I find this question so fascinating: What would ESPN look like without NFL game broadcasting rights?

If I were advising ESPN, I would really consider saying no to the NFL. You have $2.5 billion burning a hole in your pocket, and yes, you’re going to have to give cable operators and satellite distributors a certain rebate if you don’t have the NFL. But then you go and blow FOX out of the water for the Big Ten when those rights come up. You blow FOX out of the water for the Pac-12 the next time those rights come up. You get the NHL and you still have probably close to a billion dollars left over almost. So you own Saturday.

Sunday, you didn’t own anyway. I mean, you had some highlights rights for the NFL but everybody’s watching everything else. You are basically getting rid of the fourth-best NFL television package. You can either pay up and get the fourth-best package or you can own college football, which is the second most popular sport in America by far. In terms of the leverage the NFL has, I don’t think it is as huge as it once was. Certainly not with as far as ESPN is concerned.

</snip>

Any idea that gets stuff I actually watch away from Disney is fine by me.  I'll pay the NHL directly to watch hockey.

6 hours ago, Ann said:

I know what the NFL would look like without ESPN:  Better.

• Like 1

AT&T announced yesterday that it spun off Direct TV.   Will be interesting to see if the new management will seek to get out of the exclusive deal this year or stick it out for the last year of the contract.  

1 minute ago, GG1 said:

AT&T announced yesterday that it spun off Direct TV.   Will be interesting to see if the new management will seek to get out of the exclusive deal this year or stick it out for the last year of the contract.  

Doubt it really matters. DirecTV has *maybe* a decade left in business, unless whomever took over is going to invest in replacing the ageing satellites.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Looks like MNF will stay on ESPN and ABC will get Super Bowl rights as well. 

Does the salary cap rise more now?

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1365394255661907975

@Foxx that was the report that the NFL denied. See my two tweets above you. Not saying it isn't close, just that it is not done.

• Like 1

With NFL TV deals in sight, how much will Amazon pay?

</snip>

Here are four takeaways about the forthcoming new deals for the most prized programming in television — the NFL.

1. What will be Amazon’s entry fee?
2. Who will receive NFL Sunday Ticket?
3. ABC back in the Super Bowl shuffle
4. The more things change, the more they stay the same

31 minutes ago, GG1 said:

There's a valid argument that the one area where Bills spent most in FA has been the biggest disappointment - DL.

Well, they won't be repeating that mistake with J.J.........😎