Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

GME, Hedge Funds, Citadel and Reddit

Foxx

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Because Robinhood is designed and marketed to attract unsophisticated investors who don't know what the hell they're doing.  

ETrade, TD, Interactive Brokers, etc., you explicitly have to choose to create a margin account, and thus have a minimum amount of knowledge about it.  Robinhood, you have to explicitly opt out, and thus can trade on margin without even knowing what margin is.   Robinhood should have their asses kicked by regulators for that alone.

What's a margin? 

I own stock in Boeing and Alibaba. FTW.

Nouseforaname
31 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

He already tried running for mayor of Boston.  Couldn't even get enough people to sign a petition to get him on the ballot.  

He has a much bigger following now.  He will run again.  

1 hour ago, Boyst said:

What's a margin? 

I thought that was an easy buy last spring after the pandemic/SuperMax double whammy.

Nouseforaname
29 minutes ago, Ann said:

I wonder when the articles will start coming out about regular retail investors who blew up whatever stimulus they had for a plan with no real purpose.

This reminds me of the attack a few weks ago.  All those guys showed up and when they finally got inside, they had no idea what to do.  Chickens with no head. 

Your country is doomed and it's not only because of Democrats.

Edited by Meazza

2 minutes ago, Meazza said:

Your country is doomed and it's not only because of Democrats.

Don't be surprised to see these energies coming to a theatre near you, soon.

Nouseforaname
Just now, Foxx said:

Don't be surprised to see these energies coming to a theatre near you, soon.

I doubt it.  We're not as messed up here.  

1 hour ago, Boyst said:

What's a margin? 

Margin accounts can boost the investment returns by allowing you to borrow against the value of your stock.   Problems arise when the stock value drops and you have to repay the loan.

Nouseforaname
Just now, Foxx said:

Look around, it is global. 

What exactly? The Hedge Fund revolution?

Hedge Funds are like restaurants.  They fall like flies every 2-3 years.  I know because I used to work with hedge funds and prime brokerages.

Idiots burning their life savings to bring down a hedge fund only to be stuck with no money at the end since they have no exit strategy is not a revolution for me, it's just idiots with too much time on their hands.

You sound exactly like BLM protestors burning down minority owned businesses to get back at the man not realizing who they are really hurting.  It's amazing to see how blind you have all become.

Cheers.

40 minutes ago, Meazza said:

What exactly? The Hedge Fund revolution?

Hedge Funds are like restaurants.  They fall like flies every 2-3 years.  I know because I used to work with hedge funds and prime brokerages.

Idiots burning their life savings to bring down a hedge fund only to be stuck with no money at the end since they have no exit strategy is not a revolution for me, it's just idiots with too much time on their hands.

You sound exactly like BLM protestors burning down minority owned businesses to get back at the man not realizing who they are really hurting.  It's amazing to see how blind you have all become.

Cheers.

Again, Meazza. I am not advocating one way or another, that should be explicitly clear here. I am merely commenting on the energies involved. I do not want to see anyone hurt, ever.

Take all the scattered protests that have been born since 2008, they are all coalescing. Again, look around, you can't miss it if you know what you are looking for.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

Oh boy.

Es3TbR1UUAIKccr?format=jpg&name=large

This would be good news if recent memory could point to a congressional investigation thats moved the needle on anything. When it comes to congressional "investigations" I have but one comment -- "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?!"

• Like 3

The increased volatility in these stocks is what caused DTCC to increase the margin requirements, because with higher volatility, the probability that the price will gyrate wildly goes sky high.   DTCC is not in the business to juice up market gyrations, no matter who the clients are.   They look at bigger problems, such as the inability to settle the trades 2-3 days later.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I thought that was an easy buy last spring after the pandemic/SuperMax double whammy.

It was. It surged. I held on too long. I only invested about 6k so not the end of the world. It'll go up boatloads. Alibaba, too. A member here a few weeks ago suggested BB. And I've thought of buying them for over a year. They own so many patents. Eventually it would bubble up and I could have sold.  Oh well

Nouseforaname
13 minutes ago, GG1 said:

The increased volatility in these stocks is what caused DTCC to increase the margin requirements, because with higher volatility, the probability that the price will gyrate wildly goes sky high.   DTCC is not in the business to juice up market gyrations, no matter who the clients are.   They look at bigger problems, such as the inability to settle the trades 2-3 days later.    

Time to shutdown the DTCC.

Might as well go towards the next logical step of Elon Musk/Portnoy/AOC.

5 hours ago, Foxx said:

Oh boy.

Es3TbR1UUAIKccr?format=jpg&name=large

Unrelated to the issues at hand:  Who the EFF writes a letter that refers to an episode that happened "today" and doesn't DATE the letter?!?!

Straight to the shredder with that useless thing.

• Like 1