Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Foxx

The 2023 NFL season will kick off Sept. 7, and that means it's time for our annual ranking of the league's top 100 players. What can we expect from the game's best this season? And how do they stack up against each other?

To create our list, we asked a panel of dozens of ESPN NFL experts to rate players based on performance expectations for the 2023 season as compared with their peers. Emphasis was placed solely on the upcoming season and predicting potential greatness, rather than past performance, career résumé or positional value. That means long-term injuries and suspensions played a part, which is why Jalen Ramsey, for instance, is missing (out with a left meniscus injury). And from those ratings, we were able to rank the best of the best, 1 to 100.

</snip>

97. Von Miller
EDGE | Bills
2022 rank: 73

Despite playing in only 11 games last season, Miller led the Bills in pass rush win rate (23.6%) and tied for the team lead in sacks (eight). His return from ACL surgery to his right knee will be a boost as his impact on the rest of the Bills' defense is significant both on and off the field. -- Alaina Getzenberg

Signature stat: Miller's 14.5% pressure percentage in 2022 was the fourth best in the NFL.

What they are saying: "He's a guy that if you're not trying to model your game after him, I don't know what you're doing." -- free agent edge rusher Shane Ray (who was with the Bills during camp)

2023 projection: 21 tackles, 5 sacks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From the Athletic:

Why the Bills think Greg Rousseau is primed for breakout in Von Miller’s absence

</snip>

“It gave me the fuel and gave me the belief,” Rousseau said. “In life, you’ve got to believe you’re good at your job. You have to believe you can do this s—.”

Rousseau fully believes. His teammates describe him as reserved, expect when he’s dominating the Madden video game in team meetings on Friday. But he’s also introspective. It’s easy to see his ridiculous length and explosive strength. Dion Dawkins describes him as a “freak of nature.” Von Miller calls him “the tarantula.” But what his teammates also see is the way his brain works. He’s the one in meeting rooms who can answer every question about the defense that pops up. He’s confident in himself but not to the point where he’s not aware of his flaws and areas in which he needs to improve.

“He has definitely evolved,” Miller said. “He’s so smart. You can look at him and see how physically talented he is. I’m in the room each and every day. He’s so smart. Self-awareness is the key to evolution. If you’re not really self-aware and you feel like you’re in a good spot, there’s no way you can get better. His self-awareness is at a whole ‘nother level.”

</snip>

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Upon Further Review: Bills' dominant defensive showing started up front

</snip>

“I thought it was extremely impactful,” Washington said of the defensive line’s performance. “When you can hold a rusher as explosive as Jacobs to what we were able to do, that always gives you a chance to have the kind of outcome that we had. The guys got their hands up and I thought did a really, really good job of creating takeaways.”

The Raiders marched 75 yards in just five plays to a touchdown on their opening drive, but from that point the Bills’ defense allowed just a field goal the rest of the way. That success started up front.

“We were solid,” Rousseau said. “I feel like we’ve got to come to play week in and week out, and we play like that, we really help our offense. So, that’s just something we’ve got to keep on doing.”

The Bills dominated time of possession Sunday in their victory over the Las Vegas Raiders at Highmark Stadium.

</snip>

• Like 2

So if I understand IR correctly, Von has two more games before he can attend practices, correct? Or could he play should they deem him healthy enough?

I'm not advocating for rushing him back. Just curious about the timing of it, and genuinely excited to think about what this defense can look like if everyone remains healthy and THEN they add in Von Miller. 

• Like 3

Deranged Rhino
43 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

So if I understand IR correctly, Von has two more games before he can attend practices, correct? Or could he play should they deem him healthy enough?

I'm not advocating for rushing him back. Just curious about the timing of it, and genuinely excited to think about what this defense can look like if everyone remains healthy and THEN they add in Von Miller. 

I think the earliest he could play is the London game - but I'm really hoping they don't activate him until the next week at home versus the Giants. Something about playing him after a 5+ hour flight across the Atlantic seems like a bad way to launch the comeback. 

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

I'm encouraged by what we've seen so far but let's not get carried away.  The Jets' Oline is terrible and knocking Rogers out after 4 plays was a godsend.  Garrapolo is the definition of mediocre and Howell is statistically the worst pressure QB in the league. 

This week is the season's first real test.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3

On 9/25/2023 at 7:32 AM, Alaska Darin said:

I'm encouraged by what we've seen so far but let's not get carried away.  The Jets' Oline is terrible and knocking Rogers out after 4 plays was a godsend.  Garrapolo is the definition of mediocre and Howell is statistically the worst pressure QB in the league. 

This week is the season's first real test.

In spite of the horrific game from Allen to open the season, I got a chuckle when a friend of mine sent me an image of Josh after the game saying "Josh Allen has completed more passes to Jets players than Aaron Rodgers this year."

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 2

SquirminThurman
On 9/27/2023 at 7:59 PM, Uncle Joe said:

He almost sounds like Isaac Hayes.

"He's a bad mother....."

"Shut your mouth"

"But I'm talking about Big Ed"

"Then we can dig it"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The D-line looked good early last year while everyone was healthy.  This year's squad is even better thus far.  Leonard Floyd and the continued growth of the young ends means they can be patient getting Von back on the field.  Let's hope they all stay out of the medical tent. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

SquirminThurman
1 hour ago, Ninety-4 said:

The D-line looked good early last year while everyone was healthy.  This year's squad is even better thus far.  Leonard Floyd and the continued growth of the young ends means they can be patient getting Von back on the field.  Let's hope they all stay out of the medical tent. 

Bringing Da'Quan Jones last year, and Leonard Floyd this year were the pieces they were trying to get all along. Allows an actual rotation. Von Miller is a cherry on top. Buffalo has two starting caliber DL units.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 2