Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Free Agency Signings: Predictions

Ann

Look into your crystal ball...  who do you predict the Bills sign in free agency? :cheer:

Here's a few ideas:

PFF predictions:

18. CB Richard Sherman
37. LB Matt Milano
40. T Daryl Williams
57. RB Chris Carson
59. EDGE Tret Hendrickson

ESPN predictions:

11. Jonnu Smith, TE

34 minutes ago, Joe said:

I would LOVE Jonnu Smith in a Bills uniform.

I want Daryl Williams back. And Bodorkuez. I'm iffy on Milano. The whole LB corps could be replaced, IMO.

I am iffy on Milano, too. I would love him back healthy and at a reasonable price. At $13M?  Erm...

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Sherman?

I like Sherman.  Always have.  But I see no purpose to signing him.

So, who will they sign?

The Athletic wish list

The need: Tight end

Plan A: Jonnu Smith, Titans

Plan B: Gerald Everett, Rams

The need: Defensive line

Plan A: Dalvin Tomlinson, Giants

Plan B: J.J. Watt, Texans

The need: Offensive guard

Plan A: Jon Feliciano

Plan B: Alex Redmond, Bengals

The need: Offensive tackle

Plan A: Daryl Williams

Plan B: Draft/Cody Ford/Ryan Bates

The need: Cornerback

Plan A: Richard Sherman, 49ers

Plan B: Xavier Rhodes, Colts

• Like 3

2021 NFL free agency: One offensive free agent each AFC playoff team must kee

</snip>

I feel pretty strongly that the Bills can replace pending free agents Andre Roberts, T.J. Yeldon, Isaiah McKenzie and Tyler Kroft. However, they need to turn their attention to the offensive line (we saw just how important O-line play is in Super Bowl LV) and re-sign the veteran right guard. Feliciano's strength as a run blocker is crucial to Brian Daboll's offense, which was apparent in the unit's rushing success in the second half of the season after he returned from injury. The 29-year-old Feliciano still has a few more good years in him and can set the tone for the unit.

</snip>

Jon Feliciano 2019/2020 contract with the Bills

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 10:54 AM, Ann said:

2021 NFL free agency: One offensive free agent each AFC playoff team must kee

</snip>

I feel pretty strongly that the Bills can replace pending free agents Andre Roberts, T.J. Yeldon, Isaiah McKenzie and Tyler Kroft. However, they need to turn their attention to the offensive line (we saw just how important O-line play is in Super Bowl LV) and re-sign the veteran right guard. Feliciano's strength as a run blocker is crucial to Brian Daboll's offense, which was apparent in the unit's rushing success in the second half of the season after he returned from injury. The 29-year-old Feliciano still has a few more good years in him and can set the tone for the unit.

</snip>

Jon Feliciano 2019/2020 contract with the Bills

if you can only sign one, it has to be  Williams at LT

back up OGs, not so much

Buffalo Timmy
On 2/10/2021 at 9:33 AM, Ann said:

Look into your crystal ball...  who do you predict the Bills sign in free agency? :cheer:

Here's a few ideas:

PFF predictions:

18. CB Richard Sherman
37. LB Matt Milano
40. T Daryl Williams
57. RB Chris Carson
59. EDGE Tret Hendrickson

ESPN predictions:

11. Jonnu Smith, TE

I would be shocked if we sign Sherman unless it is for less than 2 million a year. I think we keep  Wallace and our Secondary together except for Norman. I think our money will be spent on D tackles, namely ones who complement Starr and Ed. Milano will be gone if he really wants most money possible and Williams I have no clue on what he wants. I would love to sign a competent TE so I expect that to happen.

Another projection that says Ngakoue becomes a Bill.

2021 NFL Free Agency: Updated landing spots for PFF's top 50 free agents

... 46. EDGE YANNICK NGAKOUE

Prediction: Buffalo Bills — four years, $70 million ($40 million guaranteed)

Buffalo head coach Sean McDermott mentioned how his team's pass rush is a “critical area” of improvement this offseason, and the Bills could be looking for a complete overhaul along the defensive front. They can open up $20 million with cuts that include Quinton JeffersonMario Addison and Vernon Butler, all of whom finished with sub-61.0 PFF grades in 2020. In turn, they could use that cash for a quality pass rusher — such as Ngakoue.

Ngakoue, who is tied for ninth among edge rushers in pass-rush grade over the past four seasons, would bolster the Bills’ pass rush and could slide right into Addison’s role. Ngakoue admittedly provides little impact in run defense, grading below 60.0 in all five of his NFL seasons in that facet, but he and Jerry Hughes would immediately form one of the NFL's better pass-rushing tandems. ...

• Wow 1

OPINION: Carl Lawson, not J.J. Watt, should be atop Bills’ pass rush wish list
Lawson will be a free agent next month after three seasons with the Bengals

</snip>

What if I told you there is a younger, cheaper, more productive option ready to hit the open market?

Carl Lawson.

Not only does that name not excite you, I'm betting you haven't even heard of him.

Lawson reminds me of when the Bills signed Jordan Poyer. An under the radar starter, still young, whose stats do not jump off the page, but has good underlying numbers.

Despite having just 10.5 sacks in the last two years, Lawson has consistently got after the quarterback.

In addition to his big quarterback pressures total, Lawson is tied for fourth in the NFL with the most quarterback hits in the last two seasons. Trailing only LA's Joey Bosa, Dallas' Za'Darius Smith, and Pittsburgh's T.J. Watt.

In fact, in the last two years, Lawson has more quarterback hits than Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison combined.

</snip>

https://twitter.com/SneakyJoeSports/status/1362497380743053314

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 1

34 minutes ago, Ann said:

OPINION: Carl Lawson, not J.J. Watt, should be atop Bills’ pass rush wish list
Lawson will be a free agent next month after three seasons with the Bengals

</snip>

What if I told you there is a younger, cheaper, more productive option ready to hit the open market?

Carl Lawson.

Not only does that name not excite you, I'm betting you haven't even heard of him.

Lawson reminds me of when the Bills signed Jordan Poyer. An under the radar starter, still young, whose stats do not jump off the page, but has good underlying numbers.

Despite having just 10.5 sacks in the last two years, Lawson has consistently got after the quarterback.

In addition to his big quarterback pressures total, Lawson is tied for fourth in the NFL with the most quarterback hits in the last two seasons. Trailing only LA's Joey Bosa, Dallas' Za'Darius Smith, and Pittsburgh's T.J. Watt.

In fact, in the last two years, Lawson has more quarterback hits than Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison combined.

</snip>

https://twitter.com/SneakyJoeSports/status/1362497380743053314

Interesting stats, but it begs the question: Is Lawson getting double/triple teamed as much as Watt, or held as much as Hughes, while still being that productive?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Koko said:

Interesting stats, but it begs the question: Is Lawson getting double/triple teamed as much as Watt, or held as much as Hughes, while still being that productive?

I'd also like to know how good he is against the run because Watt is EXCELLENT in that facet and a clear leader in the locker room.  Some intangibles just can't be measured with Analytics.  It's like the difference between ARod and Jeter.  The stats mostly favored ARod but the eye test clearly didn't.

I'd also like to know how his numbers were affected by Dunlap's departure.

Edited by Alaska Darin
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'd also like to know how his numbers were affected by Dunlap's departure.

3.5 sacks first 8 games - 2 sacks last 8 games.  Tackle stats went up at the end, but clearly due to higher % of snaps.