Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Around the NFL

GG1

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, Foxx said:

I wonder what Dallas' cap hit is for trading him. According to your link, they had an out but it doesn't mention what his hit to Dallas is.

Depends on whether Dallas ate any of it as part of the deal.  Cleveland could have taken all of it because there's no owed signing bonus.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Yeah, an annual $20mm cap hit. That is just not sustainable with Baker coming due.

They'll probably do something creative...like pay him a ton of the owed money in a signing bonus and add a couple voidable years. 

I guess they haven't learned much from their past "fantasy football" roster building.  I keep seeing Bullwinkle trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

• Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Yeah, an annual $20mm cap hit. That is just not sustainable with Baker coming due.

Baker not likely to be the QB

don't count out Watson - with Cooper being a big chip to add as incentive 

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

They'll probably do something creative...like pay him a ton of the owed money in a signing bonus and add a couple voidable years. 

I guess they haven't learned much from their past "fantasy football" roster building.  I keep seeing Bullwinkle trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

From all appearances, Amari is nothing like the diva that Odell is/was. So he and Baker might get along better but, if I'm Amari, I have to be more than just a little concerned about what the future is going to bring. But then again, $20mm a year going forward is a lot of concern soothing.

2 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Baker not likely to be the QB

don't count out Watson - with Cooper being a big chip to add as incentive 

Yeah.. I dunno here either. Deshaun has $42 mm cap hit. Combined, that is almost 33% of this years cap, that is just not going to work.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Yeah.. I dunno here either. Deshaun has $42 mm cap hit. Combined, that is almost 33% of this years cap, that is just not going to work.

how is he going anywhere?

restructure

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

They could trade Mayfield and be done with his $18.5M cap hit if Cleveland wanted Watson.  Cleveland needs a better oline; Mayfield got pummeled this past season, so I don't think he was the biggest problem.  That said, I would suspect Cleveland ends up committing to Baker.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Core Four said:

They could trade Mayfield and be done with his $18.5M cap hit if Cleveland wanted Watson.  Cleveland needs a better oline; Mayfield got pummeled this past season, so I don't think he was the biggest problem.  That said, I would suspect Cleveland ends up committing to Baker.

Baker Mayfield has to be as polarizing for Cleveland as Tremaine Edwards is for Buffalo. Baker has a ton of toys, and what does Cleveland have to show for it? 

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Core Four said:

I don't think Cleveland's OLine is as bad as the combination of Baker and their schemes make it seem.

Baker misses a lot of open receivers (holds the ball - doesn't make the right read) and far too often they setup their tackles for failure by singling them against guys like Watt.  It makes no sense on its own and even less when you consider Mayfield is already playing with what is essentially a disabling injury. 

Stefanski took a huge step back from the previous season.  Maybe it was a sophomore slump or maybe his 1st season was a fluke.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't think Cleveland's OLine is as bad as the combination of Baker and their schemes make it seem.

Baker misses a lot of open receivers (holds the ball - doesn't make the right read) and far too often they setup their tackles for failure by singling them against guys like Watt.  It makes no sense on its own and even less when you consider Mayfield is already playing with what is essentially a disabling injury. 

Stefanski took a huge step back from the previous season.  Maybe it was a sophomore slump or maybe his 1st season was a fluke.

If you look at Baker's stats for '21, you'll see this was the second worse season of his four year career; his sophomore slump season of 2019 was worse, but even then his production points were better than this past year...he just threw more INTs in 2019.  He had a pretty good seasons in 2018 and 2020.

As you eluded, Mayfield probably shouldn't have been playing toward the last third of the season with the injury to his non throwing shoulder.  We saw how a non throwing shoulder injury affected Josh last year, he wasn't the same QB for a couple of weeks.  Does he hold the ball too long, is the offensive scheme the problem, or is the oline that bad?  It could be a combination of all three.  I just don't think Mayfield alone is to blame.  He has shown that he can be a good enough QB to at least be the guy to get the Browns into the playoffs, just that he isn't as good as Josh who largely carried the offense.

I do agree that Stefanski has some things he needs to figure out for next season.  I personally think Mayfield will be part of the plan.  IMO, he's not that bad of a QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Baker Mayfield has to be as polarizing for Cleveland as Tremaine Edwards is for Buffalo. Baker has a ton of toys, and what does Cleveland have to show for it? 

Mayfield may be polarizing in Cleveland, but a QB harder to replace than a MLB.  I don't think it's quite as simple as having a ton of toys. I spoke to some of that in my post above.

53 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Mayfield may be polarizing in Cleveland, but a QB harder to replace than a MLB.  I don't think it's quite as simple as having a ton of toys. I spoke to some of that in my post above.

He should not have been playing most of last year, that’s for certain. It was crazy how they had him playing hurt, especially after they were eliminated from the playoffs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm glad to read this, in part because I'm not very good at identifying specifics where I know I see deficiencies. 

Part of me believes that Mayfield simply isn't as instinctively good at being a QB as many people forecasted him to be. I see enough bad throws and reads to know this isn't just an OL issue. He sometimes just seems overwhelmed.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled lately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm glad to read this, in part because I'm not very good at identifying specifics where I know I see deficiencies. 

Part of me believes that Mayfield simply isn't as instinctively good at being a QB as many people forecasted him to be. I see enough bad throws and reads to know this isn't just an OL issue. He sometimes just seems overwhelmed.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled lately.

maybe he'll do better in Houston

won't be able to blame the weather

18 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

This. After his first season and how he turned that team around, I figured they were going to be one of our main competitors for years to come. This year should tell what is really going on in Cleveland.