Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Around the NFL

GG1

10 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

It’s not the NFL’s job to meter out punishments for purely legal issues.

That’s the job of the law.

Guess what? Had Hill gone to prison for a few years, he’d not have been playing football.

The gambling issue however, is central to the integrity of the game.

There are hundreds of billions of dollars at stake; and in this instance the NFL is the law.

This is consistent across all sports. Players who abuse their wives/girlfriends in baseball receive lengthy suspensions, but Pete Rose is serving a lifetime ban.

I feel like you think I'm trying to make the case that gambling isn't that bad relative to domestic violence, at least as it relates to punishment. I agree that the game's integrity is on the line when it comes to players gambling, and the penalty should be severe. It's a private business, in the end, so the only call I get to make is whether I will continue to follow the game and the sport. The NFL will do what it wants regardless of me because I need the NFL more than the NFL needs me buying a Bills dart board for my family room.

My problem -- and it apparently is just my problem -- is that players who commit domestic violence are not judged as harshly by the NFL owners. And I would argue that if Hill had gone to prison for what he did in 2014, he'd absolutely be in the NFL IF someone wanted him.

The NFL lowered the bar with Michael Vick. I'm sure Kareem Hunt loves the millions he earns from the Browns after kicking his girlfriend, getting fired by the Chiefs and suspended by the league. That shit means nothing to the NFL. And again, that's my problem. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 3

Alaska Darin
56 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I feel like you think I'm trying to make the case that gambling isn't that bad relative to domestic violence, at least as it relates to punishment. I agree that the game's integrity is on the line when it comes to players gambling, and the penalty should be severe. It's a private business, in the end, so the only call I get to make is whether I will continue to follow the game and the sport. The NFL will do what it wants regardless of me because I need the NFL more than the NFL needs me buying a Bills dart board for my family room.

My problem -- and it apparently is just my problem -- is that players who commit domestic violence are not judged as harshly by the NFL owners. And I would argue that if Hill had gone to prison for what he did in 2014, he'd absolutely be in the NFL IF someone wanted him.

The NFL lowered the bar with Michael Vick. I'm sure Kareem Hunt loves the millions he earns from the Browns after kicking his girlfriend, getting fired by the Chiefs and suspended by the league. That shit means nothing to the NFL. And again, that's my problem. 

I have a problem with it too.

• Like 2

4merper4mer
3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I have a problem with it too.

Me too.  I get the gambling issues they have but it does beg for a comparison.  I understand why it’s not apples to apples but it is still a bad look.  They set some weak precedents in the past so they are stuck with the bad look on violence.  Ridley is the precedent on gambling so they are trying to send a strong message.  The best I can do to get myself to agree with their approach is that two wrongs wouldn’t have made a right.

• Like 3

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Me too.  I get the gambling issues they have but it does beg for a comparison.  I understand why it’s not apples to apples but it is still a bad look.  They set some weak precedents in the past so they are stuck with the bad look on violence.  Ridley is the precedent on gambling so they are trying to send a strong message.  The best I can do to get myself to agree with their approach is that two wrongs wouldn’t have made a right.

I especially love when they wear pink or try to sell that they're creating more job ops for women.  I mean, when the players aren't kicking the shit out of them, that is.

And yes, I realize it's a small percentage of them...but the percentage would be even smaller if the punishments were far more severe. 

I'll never for the life of me understand why people want, or think it's the responsibility of, the NFL to get involved in its players domestic situations.

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

And yes, I realize it's a small percentage of them...but the percentage would be even smaller if the punishments were far more severe. 

By our criminal justice system.

A big part of the problem is that everyone wants to defer to organizations like sports leagues to enforce punishment for criminal violations.  I don't really care what the NFL does to domestic abusers, not nearly as much as I care about what the courts aren't doing to them.

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, Robs House said:

I'll never for the life of me understand why people want, or think it's the responsibility of, the NFL to get involved in its players domestic situations.

It's easier to pressure a private group with PR interests to do what you want, than it is to get laws changed and courts to abide.

Particularly if that private group is national, and the laws you need changed you have to address at the state and local level.

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

By our criminal justice system.

A big part of the problem is that everyone wants to defer to organizations like sports leagues to enforce punishment for criminal violations.  I don't really care what the NFL does to domestic abusers, not nearly as much as I care about what the courts aren't doing to them.

I'm in the "both of those things piss me off though not equally."  All the sports leagues are run by hypocrites.  They have no issue getting you all the Vicodin/Oxy you need to play on Sunday but don't you dare smoke a joint in a legal MM state. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Robs House said:

The NFL is a private business in the public eye. They don't need to get directly involved, but they need to stand for something, and if you can't stand up for a battered woman, then I question why they bother standing up for anything.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

58 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

This better work out, Mr. Elway, or you're screwed.

Two first and two seconds? Yeesh.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

The NFL is a private business in the public eye. They don't need to get directly involved, but they need to stand for something, and if you can't stand up for a battered woman, then I question why they bother standing up for anything.

I don't see why they need to stand for anything. They're a football league not a social service organization. The NFL pitching its moral agenda is just as obnoxious as Starbucks deciding to sell you some racial awareness with your coffee.

And I think there's certainly something to be said for standing up for a truly battered woman, but white knights are just social justice warriors in a different uniform.

Alaska Darin
15 minutes ago, Robs House said:

I don't see why they need to stand for anything. They're a football league not a social service organization. The NFL pitching its moral agenda is just as obnoxious as Starbucks deciding to sell you some racial awareness with your coffee.

And I think there's certainly something to be said for standing up for a truly battered woman, but white knights are just social justice warriors in a different uniform.

The signs on the helmets, end zones, throughout stadiums, and on commercials beg to differ with your take.

• Like 1