Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Kathy Hochul, WNY Gub'ner.

snafu

Last Governor from "upstate"? Nathan L. Miller, New York's 43rd governor. November 1920. Nathan L. Miller was a native of Solon, a Cortland County town

Last Governor from WNY? Myron H. Clark was born in Naples, Ontario County, in 1806 and lived for many years in Canandaigua. He was governor from 1855 to 1856.

There has never been a Governor from Buffalo before! That is crazy when you consider how large and wealthy Buffalo was prior to the Great Depression. 24 Governors have been from NYC, 10 Hudson Valley (NYC extension), so 34 out of 57!

Why the downstate tilt?

Voter registration patterns suggest it's simply easier to get elected governor if you're from downstate.

"I'm not saying it’s impossible, but it is probably next to impossible for a person from upstate to be elected governor, because so much of the electorate is in New York City and downstate," Duffy said.

Voters there, like voters here, "are much more comfortable with people from their region," he said. "I can understand that. I don’t get offended by that."

And 69 percent of all registered voters in the state live in New York City's sphere of influence — in the city itself, Long Island and the lower Hudson Valley. Forty-one percent live in the city's five boroughs alone.

And those voters increasingly are blue. Fifty percent of all registered voters in New York are members of the Democratic party, versus just 23 percent who are enrolled Republicans.

And where is the center of Democratic power? Yes, New York City and environs, where 77 percent of New York's Democrats reside.

So if you're a downstate Democratic politician running against an Upstater in a Democratic primary, you have a sizable advantage. If you're running in a general election against a Republican, you have the same advantage.

Finally, don't forget the money. New York City is one of the nation's great reservoirs of campaign contributions and, as you'd expect, contributors there tend to favor politicians they know. 

• Cheers 1

Really doubt she'll be anything more than a footnote.

But maybe knowing she has no future will embolden her to do some good.  That's the hope but far from the expectation.

• Like 2

CarpetCrawler
48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really doubt she'll be anything more than a footnote.

But maybe knowing she has no future will embolden her to do some good.  That's the hope but far from the expectation.

You think she'll rank above or below David Paterson?

A pattern seems to have developed with our Democrat governors, hmmmm.

• Like 1

Just now, CarpetCrawler said:

You think she'll rank above or below David Paterson?

Honestly don't know.  Considering she probably won't get forced from office, probably higher.

Truth be told though, IMHO, he was NY's best Governor since Pataki's 1st term.  (Granted, a very low bar to reach.)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Honestly don't know.  Considering she probably won't get forced from office, probably higher.

Truth be told though, IMHO, he was NY's best Governor since Pataki's 1st term.  (Granted, a very low bar to reach.)

I liked David Patterson (and I am not alone) ... so clearly he had to be neutralized so Cuomo could run.

• Cheers 2

While I didn't attend, i saw some mention of her at our annual all classes reunion. Does anyone know what town in WNY she is from? I couldn't find anything when I made a cursory look a while back.

Well, she's been governor for nearly two days now, and we haven't slid into the ocean yet.

Also, I doubt that more than 4 state workers/interns have been sexually harassed by her thus far.

PROGRESS!

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 8/25/2021 at 5:38 AM, Cinga said:

While I didn't attend, i saw some mention of her at our annual all classes reunion. Does anyone know what town in WNY she is from? I couldn't find anything when I made a cursory look a while back.

Hamburg, according to the interwebs.

34 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Hamburg, according to the interwebs.

Thanks, and I just found her maiden name was Courtney so gonna have to blow the dust off my yearbook, should have been the same year I graduated.

Crap Throwing Clavin
7 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Thanks, and I just found her maiden name was Courtney so gonna have to blow the dust off my yearbook, should have been the same year I graduated.

Interwebs says Hamburg school district, Hamburg Hill HS.

4 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Interwebs says Hamburg school district, Hamburg Hill HS.

She's from Hamburg, Her husband went to Cheektowaga Central with my sister.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

I think I read so where that she appointed a rabid anti police activist to be her Lt. Gov.

Appoint? It doesn't have to be approved by the legislature?

de Blasio is the most tone deaf fool I’ve ever seen. 
And his hinting to make a rum makes it look like the Cuomo thing was more of a political hit job than not.

• Like 2

CarpetCrawler
23 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Good news!

Even if ha had ten times more support than he had for his presidential run it would be a disaster.

10 x 0 = 0 

• Haha 1