Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Kathy Hochul, WNY Gub'ner.

snafu

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, snafu said:

Geez, I mean someone should have tipped off Hochul before she made the guy Lt. Governor -- ESPECIALLY the Lt. Governor, himself.

“I was not aware,” Hochul told reporters earlier this week when asked if she knew about subpoenas issued to Benjamin’s campaign before his appointment.

Benjamin admitted Thursday he was privy to the probes and said the State Police examined his background before he accepted Hochul’s offer to be her second-in-command.

However, when pressed, he added that he did not personally alert the governor to the subpoenas.

“I did not speak to the governor directly,” he said. “I believe... my role was to have a very thorough conversation and provide all information requested of me to the State Police, which I did.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/new-york-elections-government/ny-brian-benjamin-subpoenas-federal-probe-lieutenant-governor-20220407-bmfsqvog65fg3gabgfyxnpqbcq-story.html

If someone's investigating me for a job, I'm probably not volunteering "I've been subpoenaed for fraud" either.  

Of course, I'm probably not under subpoena for fraud anyway, since I'm not an @$$h@l&.  But if I'm committing fraud, why the hell would I be honest enough to volunteer anything about it?

33 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

If someone's investigating me for a job, I'm probably not volunteering "I've been subpoenaed for fraud" either.  

Of course, I'm probably not under subpoena for fraud anyway, since I'm not an @$$h@l&.  But if I'm committing fraud, why the hell would I be honest enough to volunteer anything about it?

Okay, maybe I shouldn't expect the fraudster to come clean voluntarily.  

However, for a position such as Lt. Governor I'd wager that there's written disclosure regarding open or pending investigations involving the candidate for the job.  In that case, there's no "voluntary" about it.

Leaving him aside, there are several ways that Hochul or her staff could have been told.  Someone from his staff, or the State Senate Ethics Committee, or the State AG, or the Feds doing the investigating.  Make a visit or pick up a phone for cripe sake.  This is multidirectional negligence.  And for nobody to simply tap the Governess on the shoulder and steer her clear of this guy borders on a setup.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, snafu said:

Okay, maybe I shouldn't expect the fraudster to come clean voluntarily.  

However, for a position such as Lt. Governor I'd wager that there's written disclosure regarding open or pending investigations involving the candidate for the job.  In that case, there's no "voluntary" about it.

Leaving him aside, there are several ways that Hochul or her staff could have been told.  Someone from his staff, or the State Senate Ethics Committee, or the State AG, or the Feds doing the investigating.  Make a visit or pick up a phone for cripe sake.  This is multidirectional negligence.  And for nobody to simply tap the Governess on the shoulder and steer her clear of this guy borders on a setup.

I see you answered your own question

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I see you answered your own question

Not really. I was just musing. I am a musing guy!

Cuomo announced on August 10.

Hochul Gov, effective August 24.

Appoints Lt. Gov. sleazebag August 27.

Seems a lot more like hasty decisions and poor execution.

4 minutes ago, snafu said:

Not really. I was just musing. I am a musing guy!

Cuomo announced on August 10.

Hochul Gov, effective August 24.

Appoints Lt. Gov. sleazebag August 27.

Seems a lot more like hasty decisions and poor execution.

yeah - there was no foreshadowing prior to Aug 10 that Cuomo was going down

no time at all for Hochul to get her ducks in line

16 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

yeah - there was no foreshadowing prior to Aug 10 that Cuomo was going down

no time at all for Hochul to get her ducks in line

You think Hochul was taking Lt. Governor job applications before Cuomo resigned?

I doubt that.

22 minutes ago, snafu said:

You think Hochul was taking Lt. Governor job applications before Cuomo resigned?

I doubt that.

ok

The last three NY Governors (all Democrats) have all been forced from office. You have to go back to the mid 90's to find the last governor (a Republican) who left of his own volition. 27 freakin' years of outright corruption.

please sir, may I have moar?

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

The last three NY Governors (all Democrats) have all been forced from office. You have to go back to the mid 90's to find the last governor (a Republican) who left of his own volition. 27 freakin' years of outright corruption.

please sir, may I have moar?

20 years.  Pataki left office in 2002.

And I'll quibble: elected governors.  David Patterson -the Lt. Governor who replaced Spitzer - left office voluntarily.

And Spitzer and Cuomo resigned over behavior that wouldn't have even raised an eyebrow 40 years ago (see also: Governor Bill Clinton).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

20 years.  Pataki left office in 2002.

And I'll quibble: elected governors.  David Patterson -the Lt. Governor who replaced Spitzer - left office voluntarily.

And Spitzer and Cuomo resigned over behavior that wouldn't have even raised an eyebrow 40 years ago (see also: Governor Bill Clinton).

Right, he was elected in '95. My bad, dyslexia. Thank you for the correction. He actually left office in '06.

While Patterson did leave voluntarily, he was urged not to run again because of the alleged interference in a domestic violence matter. No matter how you slice it, the last three NY govs have not been good.

6 hours ago, Foxx said:

No matter how you slice it, the last three NY govs have not been good.

The sad part is that Illinois still has us beat...

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Relax, Kathy. You can still kill your baby up to 15 weeks.

She also posted this

"Abortion care."

That's a hideous phrase.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Relax, Kathy. You can still kill your baby up to 15 weeks.

She also posted this

I have no use for this woman.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
CarpetCrawler

Are they really going to outlaw gas engines in lawn mowers and tractors in NY next year??  Anyone else hear this?

1 hour ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Are they really going to outlaw gas engines in lawn mowers and tractors in NY next year??  Anyone else hear this?

2035, I think

• Angry 1

CarpetCrawler
11 minutes ago, Ann said:

2035, I think

Thanks, I might be on the other side of the grass by then.

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Been expecting MD to do that for a while now.  Got a reel mower about ten years ago.