Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Kathy Hochul, WNY Gub'ner.

snafu

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Can you testify as to what is you think you're looking at?

No but it's a snapshot of some funny numbers, as I said I can't vouch for the truth of it but in NY I wouldn't be surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

In today edition of "You Can't Make This Shit Up", NYS passes a law limiting Crypto-mining over Environmental Concerns

https://apnews.com/article/cryptocurrency-technology-legislature-kathy-hochul-climate-and-environment-444ea3b20e84e8f0ae7fb22fc8c24104

“I will ensure that New York continues to be the center of financial innovation, while also taking important steps to prioritize the protection of our environment,” Hochul, a Democrat, said in a message explaining her approval............

The law also requires the Department of Environmental Conservation to asses how cryptomining affects the state’s ability to meet its climate goals.

Environmentalists said New York was undermining those goals by letting cryptomining operations run their own natural gas-burning power plants.

• Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Cinga said:

In today edition of "You Can't Make This Shit Up", NYS passes a law limiting Crypto-mining over Environmental Concerns

https://apnews.com/article/cryptocurrency-technology-legislature-kathy-hochul-climate-and-environment-444ea3b20e84e8f0ae7fb22fc8c24104

This is news to you?  There's been a lot of stories/opinions published in the past 3 years about the carbon footprint of the electricity usage for crypto mining.  Hochul's well behind the trend.

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

This is news to you?  There's been a lot of stories/opinions published in the past 3 years about the carbon footprint of the electricity usage for crypto mining.  Hochul's well behind the trend.

Yeah, I had forgotten about that ruse but now that you mention it, how do you enforce that law? Make people turn off their computers and servers?

Now that you mention it, I wonder how much electricity it takes worldwide to print coin and currency or is this all just an attempt to steer people off real cash altogether and fulfill the government dream of data currency only. Save the planet and all that nonsense

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Yeah, I had forgotten about that ruse but now that you mention it, how do you enforce that law? Make people turn off their computers and servers?

Now that you mention it, I wonder how much electricity it takes worldwide to print coin and currency or is this all just an attempt to steer people off real cash altogether and fulfill the government dream of data currency only. Save the planet and all that nonsense

Maybe if they didn't ship Niagara Falls power all over the northeast and down into DC, they could have "clean" hydro power for all their needs?

• Cheers 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Cinga said:

A lot of the crypto mining these days is done in large server farms (as far as I know, @Foxx might know better).  So you could in principle enforce it the same way they used find marijuana farms: look for electricity usage well outside normal for the general location.

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

The latter.  Government hates anonymous transactions.  I'm surprised they haven't criminalized crypto in general yet, given that it's a basically untraceable funding mechanism for criminal/terrorist activity.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Cinga said:

The bill has been up in legislature for quite sometime now. With it's passage, I now have two years before I will become an outlaw if I continue to run mining rigs.

If anyone would like to buy one, I have a considerable number of them and I can mine the spectrum of different mining algorithms as well.

If I get the gumption and time, I will post images of my 'space' I built specifically to mine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cinga said:

Rigs take a considerable amount of electricity. Wouldn't be too hard to run comparables and  get a good idea of who is possibly doing what. Got a Smart Meter?

48 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

A lot of the crypto mining these days is done in large server farms (as far as I know, @Foxx might know better).  So you could in principle enforce it the same way they used find marijuana farms: look for electricity usage well outside normal for the general location.

Yes, centralization of mining farms has been an ongoing trend. It was first started in China and has been adopted across the globe.

Several companies across the US have done so, NYS being no different. A company in Ithaca resurrected an natural gas burning electric power generating plant with the sole intention of mining crypto (aka PoW). Not really sure what the outrage against this plant is all about, natural gas is one of the cleanest forms of energy we have.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2022 at 1:38 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

As opposed to the carbon footprint of electric cars.  SMH.

On 11/23/2022 at 5:09 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

The latter.  Government hates anonymous transactions.  I'm surprised they haven't criminalized crypto in general yet, given that it's a basically untraceable funding mechanism for criminal/terrorist activity.

Perhaps because they use it for their own activity?

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Why would they need to?  They don't need the anonymity of crypto/blockchain, when they've got SO many other time-tested methods.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 11/23/2022 at 5:45 PM, Foxx said:

The bill has been up in legislature for quite sometime now. With it's passage, I now have two years before I will become an outlaw if I continue to run mining rigs.

If anyone would like to buy one, I have a considerable number of them and I can mine the spectrum of different mining algorithms as well.

If I get the gumption and time, I will post images of my 'space' I built specifically to mine.

Actually, I am interested in your offer.  My problem at present is that my funding is currently committed to a bridge that I'm interested in adding to my portfolio.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Why would they need to?  They don't need the anonymity of crypto/blockchain, when they've got SO many other time-tested methods.

I suppose.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

It's because it is going to be attempted to be used to exert more control over mankind.

49 minutes ago, Keukasmallie said:

Actually, I am interested in your offer.  My problem at present is that my funding is currently committed to a bridge that I'm interested in adding to my portfolio.

Shoot me a PM if your bridge doesn't work out. :classic_laugh:

They are quite easy to run and have the side benefit of throwing heat in the winter time. Three rigs heat my house well enough that I need to have a window(s) open all Winter long.

14 minutes ago, Foxx said:

They are quite easy to run and have the side benefit of throwing heat in the winter time. Three rigs heat my house well enough that I need to have a window(s) open all Winter long.

Sounds promising!  If my bridge deal doesn't come to fruition (My people tell me Hunter Biden is bidding against me), I'll be in touch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Can you briefly explain mining?

1. What are the mining servers actually doing?

2. How does this generate Bitcoin or equivalent?

3. Are the Bitcoin transferred from somewhere else or are they “freshly minted” in a virtual sense?

• 4 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin

This is objectively moronic.

Far too many took to the roads even after being warned, likely thinking it was just another winter storm.

[...]

It’s obvious that officials, from Gov. Hochul down, should have been more forceful with their warnings. 

The gist of the article is that people ignored warnings about the approaching storm, so it's Hochul's fault for not warning them more stringently.  Because people who ignore warnings will listen to more stringent warnings, and it's authorities' fault that people exercise their own judgement.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

This is objectively moronic.

The gist of the article is that people ignored warnings about the approaching storm, so it's Hochul's fault for not warning them more stringently.  Because people who ignore warnings will listen to more stringent warnings, and it's authorities' fault that people exercise their own judgement.  

Hochul should have invested in more signs. We all know that people follow what signs tell them to do.