• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deranged Rhino

• Crap Throwing Clavin

• Nouseforaname

• Foxx

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 1/19/2022 at 7:02 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

If that force enters the Sea of Azov, or approaches Kherson (on the lower Dnepr, where it would screen the flank of a thrust out of the Isthmus of Perekop towards Zaporozhye), consider that a war warning.  Otherwise, this 'phib force is useless.

Current Russian dispositions don't support a full invasion, but a limited incursion into eastern Ukraine towards Zaporozhye, Dnepropetrovsk, and Kharkiv.   And I'm sure Biden has been told that, which is why he was wishy-washy about responding to a "limited incursion" in his press conference.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

On 1/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

If that force enters the Sea of Azov, or approaches Kherson (on the lower Dnepr, where it would screen the flank of a thrust out of the Isthmus of Perekop towards Zaporozhye), consider that a war warning.  Otherwise, this 'phib force is useless.

Current Russian dispositions don't support a full invasion, but a limited incursion into eastern Ukraine towards Zaporozhye, Dnepropetrovsk, and Kharkiv.   And I'm sure Biden has been told that, which is why he was wishy-washy about responding to a "limited incursion" in his press conference.

The big question for me right now (besides "do I need to load up the car and get out of NYC?") is whether Putin wants to take over Ukraine completely or just push western influences out of it. If the latter, then his tactics so far seem very ham-handed to me. A lot of compariosons out there that this is "just like 1938" and any negotiated settlement would just be another "peace in our time" moment. Those lines are ALWAYS trotted out when there is some kind of dispute like this and always seem very hacky to me. I cant say I blame the man for not wanting NATO on his doorstep. And from a cultural standpoint, "losing" Ukraine to the west would sting him hard. Imagine Canada and China all of a suddent were best buddies and, for some reason, China started moving military assets to stations near Alaska or Vancouver. We would not be happy. 

Over the last few years I have watched some of Putin's marathon annual press conferences with the foreign press and IMO, hes incredibly smart and sharp and while he may indeed be an authoritarian, hes also a businessman.  I could be wrong....GOD I HOPE IM WRONG...but he does not strike me as some kind of Hitlarian (new word!) madman. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Note: Eastern Europe.  Not necessarily Ukraine.

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Not an embarrassment.  As planned.  They're enabling Russia and hanging the EU out to dry.

• Cheers 2

Deranged Rhino

Posting this with the caveat that some of these videos are impossible to accurately source or date. This tends to a reliable source, but as I didn't take the video I can't authenticate it - so grain of salt. Still, there's a lot of equipment being moved all over eastern Europe. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
29 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Posting this with the caveat that some of these videos are impossible to accurately source or date. This tends to a reliable source, but as I didn't take the video I can't authenticate it - so grain of salt. Still, there's a lot of equipment being moved all over eastern Europe. 

That was one of my bigger worries: strengthening the grouping of forces in Belarus.  

Without that, Russian operations would be constrained to the left bank of the Dnepr.  With forces in Belarus, that indicates a planned action somewhere along the Kovel-Korosten-Kiev line, on the right bank of the Dnepr.  That would mean not just a limited offensive into Eastern Ukraine, but a more general offensive.

• Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin

By the by...just two of my sources for this:

https://www.amazon.com/Soviet-Military-Operational-Art-Practice/dp/0714640778/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1BV2YYIW39NNF

https://www.amazon.com/Defeat-Victory-Decisive-Indecisive-Operations/dp/0700622950/ref=sr_1_6

Both of which I've read recently, coincidentally.  So I'm not just speaking out of my ass; I've got a decent idea of how Russian ground operations are planned and executed.  Likely better than anything you'll hear or see in the mainstream media, at least.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Deranged Rhino

7 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

By the by...just two of my sources for this:

https://www.amazon.com/Soviet-Military-Operational-Art-Practice/dp/0714640778/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1BV2YYIW39NNF

https://www.amazon.com/Defeat-Victory-Decisive-Indecisive-Operations/dp/0700622950/ref=sr_1_6

Both of which I've read recently, coincidentally.  So I'm not just speaking out of my ass; I've got a decent idea of how Russian ground operations are planned and executed.  Likely better than anything you'll hear or see in the mainstream media, at least.

:beer: Appreciated. 

Deranged Rhino

This is another line of demarcation per what people in the business tell me. The US, more so than NATO at this point, seems convinced it's going down soon. 

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

This is another line of demarcation per what people in the business tell me. The US, more so than NATO at this point, seems convinced it's going down soon. 

Deep State needs a distraction from their collapsing COVID narrative.

And besides, war is always a money making opportunity

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2