• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deranged Rhino

• Crap Throwing Clavin

• Nouseforaname

• Foxx

There's been reports that the Russian "leaders" in the occupied oblasts are now trying to rush a sham referendum by the end of this week so that they can try to pretend that the people want to join Russia.

My guess is that this is desperation on Putin's part, so that he can quickly annex the territories and pretend that the Ukraine Army is invading Russia so that he can sell a legal call up of conscripts to his people, and threaten nuclear a response against Ukraine in "defense" of the "Russian land".

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
23 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Curious where throwing your political opponents out of the window falls under Christian values ?

Eastern Orthodox.  They don't even know when Christmas is.

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, devnull said:

Putin should respond with a demand that the Turks return Constantinople to it's rightful owners

Oh, he can do better than that.  "Return East Cyprus to its rightful owners."

Nothing better than telling the either of the Greeks or Turks to return land to the other.  :classic_biggrin:  They've only been fighting over the Eastern Med for two and a half millennia.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Koko said:

There's been reports that the Russian "leaders" in the occupied oblasts are now trying to rush a sham referendum by the end of this week so that they can try to pretend that the people want to join Russia.

My guess is that this is desperation on Putin's part, so that he can quickly annex the territories and pretend that the Ukraine Army is invading Russia so that he can sell a legal call up of conscripts to his people, and threaten nuclear a response against Ukraine in "defense" of the "Russian land".

Nailed it! 

• Like 1

Deranged Rhino

January 2022: "Remember, the agendas and competency of the Biden administration and its lieutenants is immaterial and irrelevant to how we should analyze the situation in Ukraine." 

September 2022: "Now that we have reached the nuke-wagging portion of the conflict, whether or not Biden and company are competent to run a game of brinksmanship where the stakes are a nuclear holocaust is moot."

Funny how that works. 

We're 9 months in, 150b+ committed with more to follow, 100,000s dead and climbing, and we're now firmly in a nuclear standoff against a tyrant who has nothing to lose -- all for a country that has no strategic, tactical, or historical value to the US or it's NATO allies other than being a piggy bank for the corruption of leaders in both the East and West. 

Worth it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

January 2022: "Remember, the agendas and competency of the Biden administration and its lieutenants is immaterial and irrelevant to how we should analyze the situation in Ukraine." 

September 2022: "Now that we have reached the nuke-wagging portion of the conflict, whether or not Biden and company are competent to run a game of brinksmanship where the stakes are a nuclear holocaust is moot."

Funny how that works. 

We're 9 months in, 150b+ committed with more to follow, 100,000s dead and climbing, and we're now firmly in a nuclear standoff against a tyrant who has nothing to lose -- all for a country that has no strategic, tactical, or historical value to the US or it's NATO allies other than being a piggy bank for the corruption of leaders in both the East and West. 

Worth it.

I dont know if we are now in a full blown "nuclear standoff." The Cuban Missile Crisis was that. This was more tough talk, not too much different than whats been said before...by actors on both sides. 

That said...I HAVE to think the NATO Commanders and political "leaders" are now discussing what to do when (not if) these referendums pass and these states are "officially" annexed by the RF. I can only assume some sort of change in strategy and tactics is in order.  

Edited by RkFast
  • Cheers 2

Deranged Rhino
3 minutes ago, RkFast said:

I dont know if we are now in a full blown "nuclear standoff." The Cuban Missile Crisis was that. This was more tough talk, not too much different than whats been said before...by actors on both sides. 

True - but the difference between past talk and today's is that the west has done all they can to box Putin in. They've given him no offramps other than total defeat - which he cannot accept without losing power or his life. More than that, they've actively burned all attempts to deescalate (they being the US and UK). Putin, for all his faults, is not dumb. He can't take an L without putting his life in serious jeopardy. And if a guy with his finger on the world's largest nuclear arsenal knows he's between a rock and a steel jacket in the back of the head - a nuclear exchange suddenly doesn't seem like a bridge too far. 

There's also history of Russia puffing its chest to get NATO to the table, then pulling back when negotiations pick up. Which this absolutely could be.

Then again, NATO and the US has been clear it has no interest in peace in Ukraine unless it comes coupled with Putin's removal. 

Hence the sticky wicket. The west has no one capable of the type of statesmanship needed to play the game of chicken they've committed the world to. Not a single person in a position of influence or power can run that gambit. Think Jake Sullivan is up to the task? Rice? Harris? We know Austin isn't, Biden isn't - because most of the people in west in power have been compromised by their own corrupt ties to the area in question. 

Of course, all of these issues were foreseeable - but not allowed to be discussed, debated, or worked around because anyone who strayed from the MiC's "war is good" narrative was labeled a Putin Supporter on reflex. 

13 minutes ago, RkFast said:

That said...I HAVE to think the NATO Commanders and political "leaders" are now discussing what to do when (not if) these referendums pass and these states are "officially" annexed by the RF. I can only assume some sort of change in strategy and tactics is in order.  

NATO is upping arms production per their release today. 

My guess: We'll (NATO) be fully committed (troops on the ground, in active contact) by spring - summer at the latest. 

That's always been what they've wanted. And they're working to get it. 

Just reminds me of one of Carlin's best bits: "Bullshit, that's OUR &#%$ing job!"

• Like 1