Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Official 2022 Salary Cap Thread

Alaska Darin

Alaska Darin
25 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I would beg to differ considering we had Lou Saban.  It was not Lou's fault that Ralph refused to get the few pieces needed to go toe to toe with the Steelers.  Marv was not a great coach in hind sight but he was the calming influence to massage a lot of egos including Smerlas and Bruce Smith.  I'm not sure that we make the 1988 AFC CG or the SB with somebody else.  

Not really the point I was making.  Marv was available in the middle of a season for a reason.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

I would beg to differ considering we had Lou Saban.  It was not Lou's fault that Ralph refused to get the few pieces needed to go toe to toe with the Steelers.  Marv was not a great coach in hind sight but he was the calming influence to massage a lot of egos including Smerlas and Bruce Smith.  I'm not sure that we make the 1988 AFC CG or the SB with somebody else.  

maybe if Marv had hired a real defensive coordinator who maximized Bruce, all of that calming influence would have resulted in a Super Bowl win or two

10 hours ago, Spartacus said:

maybe if Marv had hired a real defensive coordinator who maximized Bruce, all of that calming influence would have resulted in a Super Bowl win or two

If only you were around at the time and had Marv’s ear! 
If only…

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

If only you were around at the time and had Marv’s ear! 
If only…

Marv was too pig headed

He may have been a great unifer of men

but not so good a head football coach who understood offense and defense

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Marv was too pig headed

If only you could have coached him - or better yet - his Bills squads. SMH such a loss.:crying2:

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Marv was too pig headed

I think Marv understood both things just fine.   What he had was too much loyalty.  Imagine Belichick (or even Wade) with the BILLS' defense during those 4 years instead of Walt Corey? 

Crap Throwing Clavin
13 hours ago, Spartacus said:

maybe if Marv had hired a real defensive coordinator who maximized Bruce, all of that calming influence

You'd still be a raging nutbar, though.

RochesterRob
50 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I think Marv understood both things just fine.   What he had was too much loyalty.  Imagine Belichick (or even Wade) with the BILLS' defense during those 4 years instead of Walt Corey? 

When Corey was hired the Bills were still considered as being in a self imposed dark age.  They were not going to get a name DC.  That aside the unfortunate career ending injury of Derrick Burroughs happened.  So not only do the Bills lose a very promising player but had to use a high pick to replace him.  A high pick that could have been used elsewhere such as a nose tackle to replace Smerlas instead of depending on Jeff Wright.  A pick that I feel could have been packaged to get a known player such as Ray Childress who would have been excellent in the locker room.  

Edited by RochesterRob

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

When Corey was hired the Bills were still considered as being in a self imposed dark age.  They were not going to get a name DC.  That aside the unfortunate career ending injury of Derrick Burroughs happened.  So not only do the Bills lose a very promising player but had to use a high pick to replace him.  A high pick that could have been used elsewhere such as a nose tackle to replace Smerlas instead of depending on Jeff Wright.  A pick that I feel could have been packaged to get a known player such as Ray Childress who would have been excellent in the locker room.  

Yeah, we've talked a lot about Childress in the past.  Opportunity lost.

Ralph's cheapness where coaches and staff were concerned was well known around the NFL.  We got pretty lucky that Marv wasn't another (insert any of the litany of terrible BILLS' HCs over the years) and that Polian actually knew what he was doing.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:14 AM, Spartacus said:

Marv was too pig headed

Ah, a pig-headed unifier of men, eh? Sorta sounds like a women hating lesbian. 

• Haha 2

On 4/7/2022 at 7:14 AM, Spartacus said:

Marv was too pig headed

The Bills of that era were good enough to win a super bowl or two.  No roster is perfect, that roster was outstanding.  They just didn't do it on the field when the opportunity was there. The partying that much of the team engaged in before SB XXV was widely reported.  You can make a case that Marv got outcoached also in that game.  The team on the field that day well could have and should have won even as coached. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Ninety-4 said:

You can make a case that Marv got outcoached also in that game.

Every SB.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Ann said:

….

I mean...how?  With this off-season, just...how?  Are the books being managed by Enron's CFO or something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I mean...how?  With this off-season, just...how?  Are the books being managed by Enron's CFO or something?

its the Cobra Commander methodology

Alaska Darin
3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

They moved a lot of salary money into bonuses, which makes (for example) what was a $9M cap hit this season into a $3M hit over each of the next 3 years instead.  Current year cap savings is $6M.

Other good teams have done it for years.  It starts catching up with you when you have a lot of good players to pay (and don't draft well) but the BILLS will be OK as long as the cap keeps going up and the highest paid players stay healthy/productive.

• Like 6