Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

BILLS' History

Alaska Darin

On 10/16/2023 at 10:45 PM, ComradeKayAdams said:

“…from the oldest regular season AFL broadcast that I’m aware of in existence…”

I’m guessing that the ABC network has all the broadcasted AFL games from 1960-1964 stored in their archives. Likewise, the NBC network probably has all the broadcasted AFL games from 1965-1969 stored in theirs.

As for the complete game films that the AFL teams individually recorded for their own study during their seasons, I’m guessing that each AFL team maintains them somewhere in their respective facilities. If not, then most likely NFL Films (whose archives are located in Mount Laurel, NJ) collected them immediately following the merger.

I might e-mail Ken Crippen and Jeffrey Miller from PFRA (Professional Football Research Association) and ask for the full whereabouts of our franchise’s AFL game films. Both are major Bills fans and are the perfect types of people who would know about such things. It would be a major tragedy if any of this footage was lost forever!

By the way, the color analyst (George Ratterman) in this footage was the star QB of the 1947-1949 Buffalo Bills of the AAFC (All-America Football Conference). It was the surprisingly strong fan support for this somewhat mediocre AAFC franchise that convinced Ralph Wilson to begin his AFL franchise in Buffalo (after the city of Miami rejected him).

Wasn’t it common practice back then for the networks to re-use film and therefore tape over previous broadcasts?

• I don't know 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That game was FIVE YEARS ago?  

Wow, does time fly.

You're not kidding. I can't believe the Charging Buffalo is 50 this year...

• Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 12/1/2023 at 5:49 PM, Shady said:

Someone say History?

They're also the first to have a bogus intentional grounding call on an uncalled illegal tackle.  

I'm thinking that's not a coincidence.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

They're also the first to have a bogus intentional grounding call on an uncalled illegal tackle.  

I'm thinking that's not a coincidence.

It could also have been called a fumble and roughing the passer. 

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Nanker said:

It could also have been called a fumble and roughing the passer. 

It should have been called a fumble.  Hochuli actually argued Josh completed a throwing motion.  :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • clown 1

9 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

It should have been called a fumble.  Hochuli actually argued Josh completed a throwing motion.  :classic_laugh:

Well his arm was going forward. Of course so was his entire body, like a discus thrower.  

• Cheers 1