Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

BILLS' History

Alaska Darin

49 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

cool story

good thing they benched the bum that played in the 1st half, who helped put them in such a hole.

As great as the offensive comeback was, the wildly underappreciated aspect of the game was the defense holding the Oiler offense to 3 points in the second half/OT.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

As great as the offensive comeback was, the wildly underappreciated aspect of the game was the defense holding the Oiler offense to 3 points in the second half/OT.

If memory serves me (and it usually doesn't), I seem to recall them having Moon continue to drop back to pass when maybe trying to burn some clock with the ground game would have helped even a little bit.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

If memory serves me (and it usually doesn't), I seem to recall them having Moon continue to drop back to pass when maybe trying to burn some clock with the ground game would have helped even a little bit.

Certainly would have helped prevent the two turnovers that contributed to 14 points.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Switching out of dime definitely helped.  Ol' Swizzlestick actually made a very good adjustment.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Alaska Darin
2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

The BILLS capitalized on the wind in the 3rd quarter.  More specifically, they kept the red hot Moon on the sideline for nearly the entire first half of the period.  I think the Oilers offense was off the field for at least an hour of actual time on a pretty shitty weather day.  That was probably the most important of the many contributing factors in the comeback.

As Taro astutely pointed out, going back to the BIG 34 in the second half was another key.  Corey wanted the Oilers to be forced to throw the football, so putting Patton/Bailey and Conlon back on the field essentially removed Lorenzo White from the game and made Moon throw the ball into the teeth of that wind.  Their first offensive drive of the 2nd half ended after 3 plays when Mark Kelso made a tremendous play on a pass deep to the near sideline, just tipping the ball away from an open Ernest Duncan.  The next play was a terrible punt and the BILLS were back in business just past our own 40.  So by the time Houston ran their 4th play of the half, the 32 point lead was already down to 11 points.

Houston's next drive ended when Moon was again forced to throw the ball over the linebackers.  The ball sailed and was tipped to the chronically underrated Henry Jones.  The first play of the drive was nullified by a motion penalty, putting the Oilers at 2nd and 15 with the crowd going nuts.

You can count the number of bad balls Warren Moon threw in a season on one hand.  He had multiple in the second half of that game, including the final interception.  That thing looked like a Billy Kilmer special.

At the end of the day, the Oilers stubborn refusal to keep a tight end on their roster was really their undoing.  The BILLS linebackers did a spectacular job in the second half of jamming the smaller chuck and duck WRs at the LOS and then staying disciplined in their zones, forcing Moon to hold the ball and throw into the teeth of that wind. 

• Like 4

Alaska Darin
52 minutes ago, Theodore Brown Mafia said:

I think I'd put both Antoine Winfield and Thomas Smith above McGee.  TM was a spectacular returner and when he had the ball in his hands, a very dangerous dude but both AW and TS were superior coverage guys and better against the run.  The funny part about both AW and TS was neither of them could catch the damn ball.

It's also too bad Derrick Burroughs got hurt so young because he was really coming into his own when his career ended.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I think I'd put both Antoine Winfield and Thomas Smith above McGee.  TM was a spectacular returner and when he had the ball in his hands, a very dangerous dude but both AW and TS were superior coverage guys and better against the run.  The funny part about both AW and TS was neither of them could catch the damn ball.

It's also too bad Derrick Burroughs got hurt so young because he was really coming into his own when his career ended.

Not only did losing Burroughs due to the narrow spinal cavity cost them one of their best CBs, but they also wasted a bunch of picks in the 2ndary trying to make up for that.

Might they have been able to get an NFL sized NT with one of those picks they spent on DBs? 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 4:06 PM, IDBillzFan said:

What a game. I climbed in after leaving in the 3rd. Was caught, kicked out and then tunneled in through the drainage system. To see the victory!

2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

What a game. I climbed in after leaving in the 3rd. Was caught, kicked out and then tunneled in through the drainage system. To see the victory!

The only thing missing from your story was having it narrated by Morgan Freeman.

image.jpeg.c9b55fa81ed57944560776a4f83ddff9.jpeg

• Haha 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Moorman was the best player on some of those teams, which says a lot about both Moorman and those teams.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

21 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

21 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Such a pity they had to wear those God-awful uniforms.