Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

BILLS 2023/24 Season Official Thread

Alaska Darin

13 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I can see keeping Matakevich because of the defense but keeping Neal over Austin or Ingram isn't going to sit well with me.

Matakevich has shown no ability to play defense - why keep him over Spector who has shown flashes?

Alaska Darin
19 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Matakevich has shown no ability to play defense - why keep him over Spector who has shown flashes?

Flashes where?  He's not seen the field in a meaningful situation in his career (only defensive snaps were late in the Steeler blowout).  His best hope for a long NFL career is to become the next Matakevich.

SquirminThurman
14 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Agree on Matalevich as a cut. I had eyeballed him as a salary cut last offseason. He stuck for ST, and ST rules have changed again.

But Spector flashing. Not trying to call you out, but I don't recall that. I had to go to profootball reference to make sure I wasn't misremembering last season. According to PFR, which most folks agree is a very solid database: Snap Count

Defense: 12

Special Teams: 86

He had 6 tackles (all solo). No pass rushes, yielded 4 completions on 5 targets against and was credited with one missed tackle. I don't see a breakdown of tackles on ST vs defense. If he had 6 solo tackles on 12 snaps, that would be very good, but I think most of those tackles were on ST.

Not sure what flashes he showed. He's a second year player so a bit quick to pass judgement on him, but no he didn't flash much at all that I recall. Probable PS player IMO (only 6 games played/ 0 starts).

Is there a play or two (only had 12 snap counts on defense) you can share with us to jog our collective memory?

5 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

Agree on Matalevich as a cut. I had eyeballed him as a salary cut last offseason. He stuck for ST, and ST rules have changed again.

But Spector flashing. Not trying to call you out, but I don't recall that. I had to go to profootball reference to make sure I wasn't misremembering last season. According to PFR, which most folks agree is a very solid database: Snap Count

He had 6 tackles (all solo). No pass rushes, yielded 4 completions on 5 targets against and was credited with one missed tackle. I don't see a breakdown of tackles on ST vs defense. If he had 6 solo tackles on 12 snaps, that would be very good, but I think most of those tackles were on ST.

Not sure what flashes he showed. He's a second year player so a bit quick to pass judgement on him, but no he didn't flash much at all that I recall. Probable PS player IMO (only 6 games played/ 0 starts).

Is there a play or two (only had 12 snap counts on defense) you can share with us to jog our collective memory?

pre- season

which is still more than Matekevich brings to the table

• Facepalm 1

SquirminThurman
3 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

pre- season

Ok Pre-season. Lots of pre-season heroes that don't pan out, or have to go 2nd or 3rd teams to get a break.

CB Nick McCloud reminds me of that. I was one of the Nick McCloud fan boys. He got meaningful snaps on defense with the Giants last season and did ok for them.

I personally don't frame this as Matakevich vs Spector. I think both guys are going to have a slog to make it to the active roster. Unfortunately the Matakevich extension makes him a tough cut now, Spector to PS seems probable to me if he has another strong camp.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
On 6/18/2023 at 10:08 AM, Alaska Darin said:

Flashes where?  He's not seen the field in a meaningful situation in his career (only defensive snaps were late in the Steeler blowout).  His best hope for a long NFL career is to become the next Matakevich.

On 6/18/2023 at 10:26 AM, SquirminThurman said:

On 6/18/2023 at 10:32 AM, Spartacus said:

pre- season

They’ve named Matakevich a captain for two years running, so they *clearly* think highly of him.

He may not make the team, but he’s by no means an “easy” cut.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Ann said:

It looks to me like the Bills could field a better team in 2023 compared to last year's vaunted at the beginning of the season team.  

• Cheers 3

Seasons1992
15 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

It looks to me like the Bills could field a better team in 2023 compared to last year's vaunted at the beginning of the season team.  

The fact that this slot isn't an empty box is the best thing ever.

image.png.37f8ea692b86c376a391937a5b643d48.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

Haven't we said that every year since about 2022?

I mean, it's been true the past several years, which is nice.  But still...

Jabba The Hutt
17 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Dawson Knox pulling a Joe Biden on Eva with Josh at the end... Don't blame ya Dawson, don't blame you one bit since Kincaid will be getting in on that soon:classic_love:

49 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

They're at Nazareth, which is where I went to college. Would have shit myself if I woke up on campus to find Metzelaars holding a TE camp.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 1

Deranged Rhino
23 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

They're at Nazareth, which is where I went to college. Would have shit myself if I woke up on campus to find Metzelaars holding a TE camp.

I always forget you're a Nazareth grad.