Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

BILLS 2023/24 Season Official Thread

Alaska Darin

SquirminThurman

Is Dalvin Cook still a FA????

Hmmmm, I might like that sauce on my Buffalo Wings now.

Cook^2 could be saucy.... Love his game. 27 is prime...

Go for it. I think he is RB 5-10 in the league in this offense.

Edited by SquirminThurman

SquirminThurman

When looking at the voidable years issue raised earlier in other threads, I found $10-15 million still available this year for a Super Bowl run, without more voidable years added. It is a messy 'all in' type of situation, but it is doable.

OBD looked at DHOP and OBJ and said nahhh. Just like I did. 😊

But Dalvin Cook in the backfield for @$5 million per and bonuses.... yep, I'd do it. On par with the McCaffrey deal money wise, but without the picks. Even better.

Go all in this year. OBD got Poona Ford, and Floyd to buy in on the D for much less. Both DL are going to be studs this year.

Go for the kill shot and reach out to Cook and measure his interest. Playing with family has to be a consideration.

Cook, Cook and Harris with Murray on speed dial seems ideal to me.

Edited by SquirminThurman
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Deranged Rhino
5 hours ago, SquirminThurman said:

When looking at the voidable years issue raised earlier in other threads, I found $10-15 million still available this year for a Super Bowl run, without more voidable years added. It is a messy 'all in' type of situation, but it is doable.

OBD looked at DHOP and OBJ and said nahhh. Just like I did. 😊

But Dalvin Cook in the backfield for @$5 million per and bonuses.... yep, I'd do it. On par with the McCaffrey deal money wise, but without the picks. Even better.

Go all in this year. OBD got Poona Ford, and Floyd to buy in on the D for much less. Both DL are going to be studs this year.

Go for the kill shot and reach out to Cook and measure his interest. Playing with family has to be a consideration.

Cook, Cook and Harris with Murray on speed dial seems ideal to me.

Considering the offensive talent this roster already has, it seems crazy to say they still need another weapon. 

But they absolutely (imo) do. 

…Unless both Kincaid and Gabe ball out. Then they’ll be fine, and I’d be psyched to see what the two new WRs (plus Shakir) could add when sprinkled in. And, I actually think there’s a great chance one of them does ball out this year… but both? I hope so, but that’s 50/50 (at best) to me.

Get a Cook or DHop or some other of that caliber weapon and just go for it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

NFL URGENCY METER! Bills headline 10 teams facing greatest burden of expectation in 2023 season

</snip>

Which teams face the most urgency in the 2023 NFL campaign? That's what I am here to explore. Using the trusty 0.0-to-10.0 scale, I'm focusing on 10 franchises that will have the greatest burden of expectation come September. Let's start from the top, with the first of four teams from the same division.

10.0 Buffalo Bills

The Bills have been knocking on the door for a while now. Four straight trips to the playoffs, each run ending short of the Super Bowl. The "13 Seconds" loss to the Chiefs in the 2021 Divisional Round was pure pain for a franchise that's no stranger to heartbreak, but last postseason's home thumping at the hands of the Bengals was somehow more dispiriting. Is Buffalo's once wide-open Super Bowl window suddenly closing? Playing in a widely improved AFC East, there's a huge amount of urgency facing the entire Buffalo operation entering 2023. Look no further than the recent drama around star receiver Stefon Diggs as an example of potential cracks in the structure. Pressure can do that to even the most solid of foundations.

Jabba The Hutt
7 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Considering the offensive talent this roster already has, it seems crazy to say they still need another weapon. 

But they absolutely (imo) do. 

…Unless both Kincaid and Gabe ball out. Then they’ll be fine, and I’d be psyched to see what the two new WRs (plus Shakir) could add when sprinkled in. And, I actually think there’s a great chance one of them does ball out this year… but both? I hope so, but that’s 50/50 (at best) to me.

Get a Cook or DHop or some other of that caliber weapon and just go for it. 

Kincaid is gonna ball out for sure... Hopefully Gabe has a career year with huge play after huge play as well

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ann said:

Yep. You can only take so many gut punches both on and off the field before it takes a toll. The rollercoaster season hit a high note with the wild and emotional game against NE*. They barely survived an incompetent Miami team and by then were just out of gas.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
8 hours ago, Ann said:

He left out a lot of injury stuff (Hyde/OLine/Dline/Poyer/Tre White's comeback/Etc.), the Kim Pegula situation and the Tops shooting.  Last year was &#%$ing ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

He left out a lot of injury stuff (Hyde/OLine/Dline/Poyer/Tre White's comeback/Etc.), the Kim Pegula situation and the Tops shooting.  Last year was &#%$ing ridiculous.

Between Kim Pegula's health (not just the owner's wife, the team president.  People seem to forget that), defensive backfield injuries, two deadly blizzards, and Hamlin dying on the field...any one of those would define a team's season ("Oh yeah, that's the year that...").  All five in one season?  

Beane and McDermott worked a minor miracle keeping the team as focused as they were.

• Wow 1
  • Cheers 2
  • FANtastic 2

Praying for Kim's health. As really hope she can heal. Sounds like a tough off season again for the Bills but with extensions on the GM and HC really off sets that a bit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

some real deep analysis

guess he rally he had a hard on for Edmunds, because the world ended by not signing him

although he does mention the Ds inability to get stops in the playoffs - maybe the 2 are connected

worried about the D but fails to mention it just may be better with the return of all of the injured guys, and the addition of Ford and Floyd 

https://theathletic.com/4641634/2023/06/27/afc-east-bills-jets-dolphins-patriots-biggest-concerns/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Mueller: Identifying each AFC East team’s biggest concern from a GM’s perspective

Randy Mueller

Jun 27, 2023
March 23, 2023 - Randy Mueller (born June 3, 1961) is an American football executive who currently serves as the director of pro personnel for the Seattle Sea Dragons of the XFL. He previously served as the general manager for the National Football League's Miami Dolphins and New Orleans Saints

Buffalo Bills

Bills general manager Brandon Beane has done his best to hold together a group some have said has a window that’s closing and has squandered chances at bringing a Super Bowl trophy to western New York over the past four years. They have qualified for the playoffs each year but have little to show for it.

I think the amount of scrutiny the offense gets has been way overblown. Yes, maybe Josh Allen tries to do too much at quarterback, but being second in the league in points per game and converting a league-high 50 percent on third downs is a formula for deep playoff runs if you can minimize turnovers. Allen lives on the high wire without a safety net too often, but he also makes play after play with the same type of aggression.

Anyone with criticisms of Buffalo’s selection of tight end Dalton Kincaid in the first round this year just needs to watch some tape. He is about as far from a traditional TE as one could imagine. This offense has struggled some finding an option from the slot position since the first departure of Cole Beasley. But struggle no more, as Kincaid will serve in that role and be bigger, faster and as much of a threat as any slot option in the league and definitely in this Bills regime. He will be a matchup nightmare much closer to Travis Kelce than that of a run-blocking type. In fact, if we see Kincaid blocking, it will be offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey’s designs that are questioned, not Kincaid as a blocker.

The Bills also have spent some money to fortify the offensive line in the run game and keep Allen upright, which I felt was needed.

That being said, from the GM chair my conflict is about the defense. Personnel decisions are often made based on options at the NFL level. For example, Minnesota let running back Dalvin Cook walk because it had Alexander Mattison. Buffalo decided to let go of linebacker Tremaine Edmunds, an unusually young (25 years old after four full years in the league) former first-round pick who was very productive, only to replace him with a 32-year-old journeyman in A.J. Klein. Don’t talk to me about saving cap space ($13 million difference in cap count for 2023). I’m just not into letting really good, young players walk out the door. It’s clearly a big step back on the football field.

Edmunds played a career-low 72 percent of the snaps in 2022, but I wish they would have found a way to develop his pass-rushing skills. It would have been hard to get him off the field at all if that were the case. Finding guys like Edmunds who can run, hit and play with consistent explosiveness is very hard to do. These are the choices that keep GMs uneasy well into the following season, and that has to be on Beane’s mind now.

You can say the Bills held opponents to 17.88 points per game, second-lowest in the league, but they have struggled to get key stops late in games ever since the 13 seconds of malpractice that occurred in Kansas City two years ago.

Buffalo was seventh in the league in getting off the field on third downs last season by allowing 37.5 percent conversions. Obviously, these are very respectable numbers. Buffalo blitzed with a frequency that ranked 26th in the league in 2022, a number that was more than likely a source of frustration for some Bills decision-makers. With Sean McDermott taking a more hands-on approach with the defense, will his more urgent personality manifest into more risk compared to previous defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, who had a steady hand but was limited in innovation and aggressiveness? What’s going to be the tradeoff?

The Bills allowed a Miami team with a rookie third-string QB to hang around last season in their wild-card playoff game, mainly because they could not put enough pressure on the QB. I know 2021 first-round pick Greg Rousseau had a career-high in sacks, but I’m still not sure he’s the answer. AJ Epenesa is entering his fourth season and struggles to finish rushes, frequently stalling when attempting to turn the corner as a rusher and edge player. Boogie Basham, another top draft choice, only had two sacks last season. Can McDermott’s more aggressive scheme unlock this group to get to the passer? As a team, the Bills ranked 14th in sacks with 40. Is that good enough? I see a lot of questions that would keep me awake on defense.

• Cheers 1

Seasons1992
18 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Between Kim Pegula's health (not just the owner's wife, the team president.  People seem to forget that), defensive backfield injuries, two deadly blizzards, and Hamlin dying on the field...any one of those would define a team's season ("Oh yeah, that's the year that...").  All five in one season?  

Beane and McDermott worked a minor miracle keeping the team as focused as they were.

The franchise ran out of mental gas. It was easy to see. They barely escaped the Wild Card game, and the instant the Bengals took the field and drove first, I knew it was over. I barely watched the 2nd half of that game. I was at the Damar game and could see the Bengals were vastly superior through 1.5 quarters. 

• Cheers 1

Deranged Rhino

It must be the dead season in the NFL schedule where hot takes fill the void before Training Camp starts... 

• clown 4

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It must be the dead season in the NFL schedule where hot takes fill the void before Training Camp starts... 

Less than a month away! :dance:

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Cheers 2