Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Frazier To Take A Year Off

IDBillzFan

11 minutes ago, House said:

You are probably right. Taking the year off is a bad idea but he has to do what is best for him...

You think he'll be back?

You Dirty Rat
2 minutes ago, Ann said:

You think he'll be back?

I think he might take a similar position elsewhere. Returning to the Bills is unlikely unless the defense falls apart this year  JMO

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Ann said:

You think he'll be back?

No. I hope he gets a Head Coaching job elsewhere and Von Miller becomes a GM somewhere. The Bills could use the six Compensatory Picks that would garner them. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

As part of an Albert Breer article:

On the flip side, from the league’s spring meetings, the accelerator program did bring more positive results for the participants. Last week’s session was the first to focus on coaches—last May’s was for scouts and coaches, while December’s was just for the personnel folks—and there was a pretty good variety in age and background among the 40 participants.

</snip>

The goal was the same for 64-year-old, former Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, who came in with the perspective of having taken part in symposiums for rising assistant coaches some two decades ago. And, to Frazier, the ability to accomplish that goal marked the difference in this event from the ones he’d done in the past.

“[The old format] wasn’t as strategic as far as getting in front of the owners as this event was,” Frazier says. “It was designed to introduce you to the way the league operates, the salary cap, prepare you for interviews, it was just framed a little bit different. … The one night when they had a cocktail gathering, where we were over at the Vikings’ Hall of Fame, and just organically going around and saying hello to different owners, that was really a good environment to say hello and let your hair down and just talk.”

Frazier did concede that much of the classroom work done during the accelerator was old hat for him, and that makes sense—he was a head coach already both in college and the pros, and played five years, and coached the last 24, in the NFL. But he took plenty from a couple of the speakers.

One was his old colleague from Philadelphia, Don Smolenski, who is now the Eagles’ team president, and gave the participants an overview of how a team handles its finances and manages a budget. Another that seemed to impress everyone, including Frazier and London, was former McDonald’s CEO Don Thompson, who gave a presentation on leading an organization and all that goes into it.

</snip>

Frazier’s in an interesting place right now. He decided to take this year off after serving as Sean McDermott’s defensive coordinator for the past six years in Buffalo and, as you’d think, as he settled into spending more time at his offseason home in California, it wasn’t the most comfortable thing at first.

Frazier has spent his past 35 years, more than half of his life, coaching football.

“Man, early on, this is the third month. So for me, that first month or two, it was hard, man, just trying to find my rhythm and getting used to having free time,” Frazier says. “It’s been so long, more than 30 years, since I haven’t been on a schedule this time of the year. So it was a challenge just trying to figure out what to do with myself. But over the last three or four weeks, things have gotten a lot better as far as me being organized in how I want to spend my time. And I’m thankful for it, just very, very thankful that I can do this.

</snip>

“I’m so grateful that I’m in a position where we can step back and not be sweating about finances. So, just very thankful.”

He’ll start to put the free time to use this week in heading out to visit old coaching friends, with his focus on using that experience, and experiences like the accelerator, to get in the mix for jobs in January.

</snip>

“I really feel good about where I am,” he says. “I think my reasons for stepping away were the right reasons; I feel good about it. It just gives me a chance to see things from a different perspective, get recharged again and reenergized. I’m gonna go watch some teams in their OTAs, will probably do the same thing again in training camp, go visit some clubs as well. And then in the fall, I will really begin to take a look at what’s happening around the league, make sure I stay up on any new trends, anything that’s changing.

And, hopefully, an owner will give me a chance to talk to him about an opportunity. If that doesn’t happen, I’m good. I’ve had a good career. I’m good. My goal is to be a head coach. I know I don’t have much time left, I’m at an age [64] where it seems like owners are going younger and younger, but I think I have some things I can bring to the table. We’ll see what happens.”

</snip>

• Like 1

"Boy, I could really play contain with all these new players Buffalo added to the defense."

Leslie Frazier 

• Facepalm 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 2

IDBillzFan
3 hours ago, Ann said:

John Wawrow  said (in January) he was still under contract. Soooo is he fired? Did his contract expire at the end of the league year? Still under contract and "taking a break?"

Someone should head over to O'Malley's Pub and Grill and see if JW is upright enough at this hour to answer the question.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

"Boy, I could really play contain with all these new players Buffalo added to the defense."

Leslie Frazier 

:vomit:

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2023 at 12:07 PM, Uncle Joe said:

Leslie Frazier 

Frazier is the Bills reincarnation of Walt Corey

On 6/7/2023 at 7:23 AM, Alaska Darin said:

#1) I dont think LF has a clue what the next "scheme" will be.

#2) Bills were smart to "own" his contract for another year to keep a leash on what he could say. (Is that too white supremist of me to say?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

#1) I dont think LF has a clue what the next "scheme" will be.

#2) Bills were smart to "own" his contract for another year to keep a leash on what he could say. (Is that too white supremist of me to say?)

Well, contracts are merely a device invented to protect the white patriarchy, so your acknowledgment of the existence of his contract and suggestion that it holds some validity is hate speech. And violence.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

#2) Bills were smart to "own" his contract for another year to keep a leash on what he could say. 

Do they still "own" his contract? No one seems to know, or at least any "journalists" that do know aren't talkin'.

Crap Throwing Clavin
11 minutes ago, Ann said:

Do they still "own" his contract? No one seems to know, or at least any "journalists" that do know aren't talkin'.

There's a tweet up-thread from Wawrow saying Fraizer was still under contract.

And he was never fired, "he decided" to "take a year off."

So I'd say it's very possible, even likely, he's still contractually obligated to the Bills.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

There's a tweet up-thread from Wawrow saying Fraizer was still under contract.

And he was never fired, "he decided" to "take a year off."

So I'd say it's very possible, even likely, he's still contractually obligated to the Bills.

Wawrow never said what the date of expiration was, just that back then when Wawrow posted, Frazier was still under contract.

20 hours ago, Ann said:

Wawrow never said what the date of expiration was, just that back then when Wawrow posted, Frazier was still under contract.

Beane is a pretty astute guy

unlikely he gives a up a chance for a 3rd round pick under the Rooney Rule, if he simply needs to keep the contract alive