Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Jets Chat

Ann

I know there is an NFL thread, but I am thinkin' breaking out a thread for each AFCE team might be worthwhile...

We all know the Jets are tanking.  Every week the game is to see if they screw it up and win.  So if they are tanking for Trevor Lawrence, what becomes of Sam Darnold? Does he go on to become another Ryan Tannehill once away from the disaster of Adam Gase's "coaching?" Time will tell.

Sudden fall: Jets' Sam Darnold goes from savior to potential trade chip

</snip>

Darnold has gone from perceived savior to potential trade chip in less time than it takes to complete law school. Still rehabbing his twice-injured throwing shoulder, he won't play Sunday against the Los Angeles Chargers (4:05 p.m. ET, CBS) -- his fourth missed game. It's fair to wonder:

Have we seen the last of Darnold in a Jets uniform?

</snip>

• Like 1

Tua a funny way to spell Lawrence🤑

I think the whole reason Gase is there is they dont want to screw up and start winning games. They have a long way to go, they should have done what Dolphins did last year and trade anything of value and start over next year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

No idea whatchya mean. 👼

Thanks, I fixed it.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think the whole reason Gase is there is they dont want to screw up and start winning games. They have a long way to go, they should have done what Dolphins did last year and trade anything of value and start over next year. 

They did trade Adams for a nice haul and dumped Bell.  I'm not sure they have anyone else of value who's not a recent draft pick other than Darnold and that's on offseason move.

The Jets have so many holes, Lawrence won't be the savior they want him to be.

Much like 20 years the Bills needed a QB.  It wouldn't have mattered much who we drafted, until we made the organizational changes necessary to find and groom the right guy, we just would have had a longer laundry list of failed QBs.

I think Darnold still has talent and could play well for a different team.  Although I'm not sure if the mental aspect of his game has been damaged beyond repair or not.

I do like the idea of a thread for each AFC East team or at least an AFC East thread with the understanding that it's where we discuss more in depth our divisional opponents.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sum Ting Wong said:

The USC/QB curse is real. Darnold is done.

I couldn't agree with this more.   Darnold was one of the worst college QBs I've ever seen against any kind of rush.   He's a typical "West Coast" QB all flash, no moxy or toughness.  He might have been ok in the NFL if they'd had a quality OLine, WR group, and an offense tailored to him. 

But he landed with the Jets.  Dude was doomed from the jump. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think they should keep whatever "talent" they have at this point, which isn't much.  It is difficult to rebuild without any NFL caliber depth, and that's been a Jest problem even when they weren't trying to tank.  They have a ton of cap space next year and they've got 2 firsts in 2021 and two firsts in 2022.  I would hate the idea of stripping it down to the bare bones.

9 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I couldn't agree with this more.   Darnold was one of the worst college QBs I've ever seen against any kind of rush.   He's a typical "West Coast" QB all flash, no moxy or toughness.  He might have been ok in the NFL if they'd had a quality OLine, WR group, and an offense tailored to him. 

The Jests getting Darnold is the classic Jests move.  Their ownership ALWAYS listens to the fans.  Jests fans were drooling over Darnold from the time he played as a Sophomore in the Rose Bowl against Penn State and all through his junior year.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, snafu said:

The Jests getting Darnold is the classic Jests move.  Their ownership ALWAYS listens to the fans.  Jests fans were drooling over Darnold from the time he played as a Sophomore in the Rose Bowl against Penn State and all through his junior year.

Not to mention that the PAC10 hasn't had an impact defender drafted in like a decade (Who is the best off the top of your head?  Myles Jack?).  The conference literally plays zero defense. 

I'd have no issue picking a RB, WR, or DB from PAC10 but I'd likely look elsewhere at the top of the draft for other positions unless whoever I was considering just jumped off the film like Bo Jackson in Techmo Bowl.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Not to mention that the PAC10 hasn't had an impact defender drafted in like a decade (Who is the best off the top of your head?  Myles Jack?).  The conference literally plays zero defense. 

I'd have no issue picking a RB, WR, or DB from PAC10 but I'd likely look elsewhere at the top of the draft for other positions unless whoever I was considering just jumped off the film like Bo Jackson in Techmo Bowl.

I take it Harrison Phillips doesn't make that list?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

During Sanchez's last year in college, I'm with some golfing buddies at a bar, one of whom is a USC graduate/supporter/all his golf gear is USC shit, etc. You know the type.

We're watching a game on the big screen, USC vs. Oregon, and while I don't follow college, I knew Sanchez was supposed to be a first-round pick. They were losing to Oregon, and Sanchez was starting a new drive with a few minutes in the game.

My USC buddy says "This drive will tell you everything you need to know about how successful Sanchez will be in the NFL."

The words barely left his mouth and Sanchez threw a pick...almost a pick six. I thought my friend was going to puke.

Turns out he was right, though.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

CarpetCrawler

I can't even think seriously about this team until Gase is gased.

Ok we were stupid to hire Rex after the Jets dumped him, but he did have a decent pedigree. But the Jets jumping on Gase after Miami dumped him is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 6:34 PM, IDBillzFan said:

During Sanchez's last year in college, I'm with some golfing buddies at a bar, one of whom is a USC graduate/supporter/all his golf gear is USC shit, etc. You know the type.

We're watching a game on the big screen, USC vs. Oregon, and while I don't follow college, I knew Sanchez was supposed to be a first-round pick. They were losing to Oregon, and Sanchez was starting a new drive with a few minutes in the game.

My USC buddy says "This drive will tell you everything you need to know about how successful Sanchez will be in the NFL."

The words barely left his mouth and Sanchez threw a pick...almost a pick six. I thought my friend was going to puke.

Turns out he was right, though.

Sanchez was given the keys to a very nice car when he was drafted.  The second season the added Tomlinson, Edwards, and Holmes on offense to get even better.

He was just so typical of USC NFL QBs.  

8 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Sanchez was given the keys to a very nice car when he was drafted.  The second season the added Tomlinson, Edwards, and Holmes on offense to get even better.

He was just so typical of USC NFL QBs.  

He had all the tangible's and really does seem like a decent guy. Just didn't have what you need between the ears to process the ever changing parts of the game real time.

Beane has really only hit on two draft picks: White and Allen. He has had better luck with some free agents and trades, but those two hits make up for all the misses. To think we could have drafted Rosen or Darnold and been back to square one, thank you Mr. Beane. We only have to develop a running game and a better defense, instead of a complete rebuild. Here is hoping Beane signs a contract and fixes what is wrong.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:49 AM, Ann said:

Sudden fall: Jets' Sam Darnold goes from savior to potential trade chip

"The Jets view Darnold as an asset, and they want to protect the value of that asset in the event they decide to trade him -- the likely outcome if they land the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NFL draft. A third shoulder injury would put him in the category of "damaged goods," making it harder to recoup, say, a second-round pick. (In 2019, the Arizona Cardinals received second- and fifth-round picks for 2018 first-rounder Josh Rosen.)"

How much would Darnold be worth? A second and fifth seems high. Maybe a fifth?

Aside from being in our division, gotta feel sorry for Jets fans, probably like *Patriots fans felt sorry for us over the past 20 years.

Edited by Niagara