Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Foodies: Recipes, Restaurants and Rants

bdutton

On 11/23/2020 at 8:31 PM, bdutton said:

TBH

Placing the wings uncovered in the fridge overnight dries out the skin which helps make the baked version crispier.

But I only did it once because I didn't want to deal with it the next time.

When I smoke wings I use mayo as a base.  It helps get the skin crisp at a lower temp - not sure how it would work baking.

On 11/23/2020 at 2:57 PM, bdutton said:

My Grilled Buffalo/Cajun wings recipe:

1. Separate tips from flats and legs.

2. Place on a rack and pat dry with paper towels.

3. Place wings uncovered in the fridge overnight (skip this if impatient)

4. Preheat oven to 350 and bake wings for 30 minutes.

5. Remove from oven and let cool.

6. Heat grill to 350.

7. Put a place about 10 legs/flats in a gallon zip-loc bag and add generous amounts of Franks Red Hot and Old Bay seasoning and shake until well covered.

8. Grill for about 2 or so minutes per side or until they get a nice char.

9. Serve with Maries Blue Cheese and side of celery stalks and Labatts Blue.

i just cook mine completely on the grill. you want to bunch them all up nice and tight and turn every 5 minutes. depending upon the size of the wing, average sized ones should be done in about 25 minutes at roughly 350 degrees.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:31 PM, bdutton said:

TBH

Placing the wings uncovered in the fridge overnight dries out the skin which helps make the baked version crispier.

But I only did it once because I didn't want to deal with it the next time.

for "crispy' oven baked wings, you need to get them off the pan. put 'em on a rack so they steam rather than bake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

for "crispy' oven baked wings, you need to get them off the pan. put 'em on a rack so they steam rather than bake.

I forgot to mention that they go straight from the fridge to the oven on the rack for that same reason.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

Holiday leftovers! Yum!  I love when we have a holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Memorial day) because I love leftovers... and not cooking for two days afterwards!

I just finished some crab & bacon chowder I made from leftover snow crab from yesterday's dinner. I winged it, but it came out surprisingly tasty, so I'll have to write this one down.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, B-Man said:

NEWS YOU CAN USE: LET’S MAKE A SANDWICH!

Thank you for that. I’ll have my wife watch that and make those for our next proper dinner party. 

Oh, and I think this is the reel where DR got his start at writing Hollywood scripts. :classic_ninja:

• Haha 1

The headline in today's Rochester, NY Democrat & Chronicle reads:  US Releases New Dietary Recommendations; the image that accompanies the article is a woman nursing a baby.

Probably not the only recommendation....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, B-Man said:

NEWS YOU CAN USE: LET’S MAKE A SANDWICH!

The Youtube comments are as funny as the film. :lol:

Kinda sad if you think about it, everyone in the film is probably dead by now.  And considering how much butter they put on a sandwich, it was probably a heart attack

On 12/26/2020 at 6:17 PM, Nanker said:

Beginning to look into these....

Pizza ovens

Anybody doing something with one of these?

nanker, i dont except friend has a fairly big one in his backyard in LA. Its a pretty big one, like one you would see in restaurant. 

Awesome when he uses it..the pizza is unbelievable( as long as you like real pizza and not the dreck they serve in Buffalo🤑), he does his Thanksgiving Turkey in it and says it awesome

The problem is it takes like 2 hours for him to get to proper temp. The walls all need to be heated up etc, and ya cant just blast a huge fire as the temp will never regulate ... and he just barely uses it. 

Again, the thing is pretty big , he prolly could have gone way smaller and not have same issue.

• Like 1

@plenzmd1 Yes that’s a matter of scale. Sounds like it’s a commercial size unit and unless you’re making pies all day long, it’s inefficient and expensive. 

The smaller units are interesting because they can be used for one offs or a few pies for a party. Some are gas fired, some wood, some run on both. I’ll post more on this if I ever get one. 

• Like 1

My friend has a propane pizza oven. When we worked together, he would occasionally bust it out and we would have an office pizza party.

It's best with a good homemade pizza dough.

• Like 1

There is a golf course not far away that is called Briar Creek golf course. The restaurant there has awesome prime rib according to friends. 
think next week we may order on Thursday. 

will let you know how it is