Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What are we watching/recommend ?

Teddy KGB

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 5/22/2023 at 12:25 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

Absolutely. Nailed it.

I get where some of it comes from. Take car wrecks for example. Any movie or show made pre-2008 likely used real cars and drivers for their wrecks/chase scenes.

As part of a deal where the wife saw The Holy Grail for the first time (she hated it, except for the part where they introduce "airspeed of an unladen swallow," and she said "They sound exactly like you!") we watched Cannonball Run.

And this is unbelievable.  I still can't figure out how they did it.  Wouldn't see this stunt done today with anything but CGI.

• Haha 2

Deranged Rhino
4 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

As part of a deal where the wife saw The Holy Grail for the first time (she hated it, except for the part where they introduce "airspeed of an unladen swallow," and she said "They sound exactly like you!") we watched Cannonball Run.

And this is unbelievable.  I still can't figure out how they did it.  Wouldn't see this stunt done today with anything but CGI.

I'm not sure, but I'm going to wager a guess that there was a lot of alcohol and cocaine involved whenever the stunt team came up with that one (and likely when they executed it) - holy lord that's a wild spinout. At first I thought they spun the film up - or did a covert cut when we lose sight of the car in the smoke - but it sure doesn't look like they did either of those. 

5 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

As part of a deal where the wife saw The Holy Grail for the first time (she hated it, except for the part where they introduce "airspeed of an unladen swallow," 

A couple coworkers and I have some running Monty Python jokes.  Holy Grail, Life of Brian, dead parrots, silly walks, etc.

Another coworker chimed in that Monty Python wasn't funny.  He just didn't see the humor.

After a few conversations we determined that he had never actually watched any Monty Python.

Then one day we were doing some Python jokes and that other coworker, who happens to be black, said "f*cking white people....I fart in your general direction. Y'all are funnier than I thought"

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, devnull said:

A couple coworkers and I have some running Monty Python jokes.  Holy Grail, Life of Brian, dead parrots, silly walks, etc.

Another coworker chimed in that Monty Python wasn't funny.  He just didn't see the humor.

After a few conversations we determined that he had never actually watched any Monty Python.

Then one day we were doing some Python jokes and that other coworker, who happens to be black, said "f*cking white people....I fart in your general direction. Y'all are funnier than I thought"

From “Meaning of Life”, you’d be surprised how often “A Bucket for Monsieur”  can be used.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 5/28/2023 at 8:28 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

I'm not sure, but I'm going to wager a guess that there was a lot of alcohol and cocaine involved whenever the stunt team came up with that one (and likely when they executed it) - holy lord that's a wild spinout. At first I thought they spun the film up - or did a covert cut when we lose sight of the car in the smoke - but it sure doesn't look like they did either of those. 

I've spent a not insignificant amount of time this weekend trying to find out how they did that scene...and it seems to be the only thing not on the internet.

Alcohol and cocaine is still the best explanation going.  

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Watched the first episode of The Peripheral last night. Interesting premise, and since I like shit like that, I will probably watch the entire thing.

A side note - I did see a trailer for Cocaine Shark - :facepalm:

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 4
  • FANtastic 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Watched the first episode of The Peripheral last night. Interesting premise, and since I like shit like that, I will probably watch the entire thing.

A side note - I did see a trailer for Cocaine Shark - :facepalm:

Okay @Deranged Rhino, it's time to collaborate on a screenplay...

Cocaine Sharknado

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Jabba The Hutt
2 hours ago, devnull said:

Okay @Deranged Rhino, it's time to collaborate on a screenplay...

Cocaine Sharknado

Can we give them chainsaws in the water or do we have to wait until they hit land? 

12 minutes ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Can we give them chainsaws in the water or do we have to wait until they hit land? 

Save that for the sequel.

• Haha 1

Deranged Rhino

... Wait, what? 

Are they going to make the female Michael Scott/David Brent incompetent, boorish, politically incorrect, and loathed by the other employees? 

Something tells me that won't go over as well as they think. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino

Crap Throwing Clavin
13 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

... Wait, what? 

Are they going to make the female Michael Scott/David Brent incompetent, boorish, politically incorrect, and loathed by the other employees? 

Something tells me that won't go over as well as they think. 

Michael Scott will still be male, and clearly Trump.  It'll be an unfunny comedy about outraged female employees fighting sexism/misogyny/whatever else in the workplace.

This'll end up resembling She-Hulk, without a superhero subplot.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2023 at 8:19 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

But the greatest car stunt of all time was developed at Calspan over on Genesee St. right across from the airport.  The 360 barrel roll over the canal in Thailand in The Man with the Golden Gun.

Can't find anything online about it, but according to some people that worked at Calspan at the time and were still working at the test track there in the mid-80's, the very 1st time they took the stunt from simulation to reality the car was going too fast and ended up going over the safety embankment.  Maybe they were full of you know what, but that's what they said.

Some VERY cool research happened there through the years.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Deranged Rhino

I had fun watching the first two seasons, despite not loving the redesign of most of the books' world/characters. The trailer for the final season looks fun, but what they (seem) to have done to Ding just seems unnecessary. I love Michael Pena - and I understand they're doing a spin off series based around him so they had to make Ding older - but it seems like they just made him Clark... Which, I guess means we won't get any of Clark in the spinoff. That has a lot of ramifications in terms of Ding's whole story.  

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I had fun watching the first two seasons, despite not loving the redesign of most of the books' world/characters. The trailer for the final season looks fun, but what they (seem) to have done to Ding just seems unnecessary. I love Michael Pena - and I understand they're doing a spin off series based around him so they had to make Ding older - but it seems like they just made him Clark... Which, I guess means we won't get any of Clark in the spinoff. That has a lot of ramifications in terms of Ding's whole story.  

I like the series.  I even like what they've done with the characters. 

It just has shit-all to do with Jack Ryan.  They literally just tacked the name on to a completely different story for marketing reasons.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Deranged Rhino
2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I like the series.  I even like what they've done with the characters. 

It just has shit-all to do with Jack Ryan.  They literally just tacked the name on to a completely different story for marketing reasons.

That's pretty much it. 

The moment they made Cathy Ryan a "romance-of-the-week" and changed her specialty to fit the terror plot of the season, I just thought - why even make that character Cathy Ryan? If they're going to make Ryan a bachelor playboy like Bond, then why introduce Cathy at all? I understand why in today's entertainment landscape you wouldn't want to put a depiction of a Roman Catholic couple who are happily married and faithful - while both being uber successful and top of their fields - at the center of your story (that stable family life is a non-starter in "dramatic TV"),  but if you're trying to expand the brand beyond the book readers who don't know Cathy from Clark it just seems like extra work. Why go through the effort to make such big changes to iconic characters when in the end the casual fans won't notice and the book fans will either be turned off or confused?  

Same with Greer - I get why it would be interesting to have a CIA deputy director (or in this show, case officer) convert to Islam during the height of the War on Terror. That's an interesting arc. I even get why they'd want to make the relationship between Jack and Jim more of a buddy-cop thing than a mentor/mentee set up. But then why bother making it Greer? Why not create a new character - or hijack a lesser known character from the cannon who Jack worked with (of which there are plenty). Just in terms of (to use Drinker's lingo) " the message", Greer from the books fits the bill more than the one they created for the show. Greer in the books is a self-made, highly accomplished, highly decorated black man who is unquestionably Jack's boss. Yet in the modern show they made him a disgraced case officer who's been reassigned and forced to work a desk where his younger, whiter, employee somehow calls all the shots and in the end redeems Greer's career for him

It's all the more strange to me when you consider what they did to Clark in the first two seasons - giving us characters who we think might be Clark, and are in many ways nods and winks to him, but in the end are revealed to be totally different people. 

But, like you said, the show is still entertaining and works despite all this. So I shouldn't complain - or start my day by writing several too-long paragraphs about it :classic_laugh: 

• Applause 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That's pretty much it. 

The moment they made Cathy Ryan a "romance-of-the-week" and changed her specialty to fit the terror plot of the season, I just thought - why even make that character Cathy Ryan? If they're going to make Ryan a bachelor playboy like Bond, then why introduce Cathy at all? I understand why in today's entertainment landscape you wouldn't want to put a depiction of a Roman Catholic couple who are happily married and faithful - while both being uber successful and top of their fields - at the center of your story (that stable family life is a non-starter in "dramatic TV"),  but if you're trying to expand the brand beyond the book readers who don't know Cathy from Clark it just seems like extra work. Why go through the effort to make such big changes to iconic characters when in the end the casual fans won't notice and the book fans will either be turned off or confused?  

Same with Greer - I get why it would be interesting to have a CIA deputy director (or in this show, case officer) convert to Islam during the height of the War on Terror. That's an interesting arc. I even get why they'd want to make the relationship between Jack and Jim more of a buddy-cop thing than a mentor/mentee set up. But then why bother making it Greer? Why not create a new character - or hijack a lesser known character from the cannon who Jack worked with (of which there are plenty). Just in terms of (to use Drinker's lingo) " the message", Greer from the books fits the bill more than the one they created for the show. Greer in the books is a self-made, highly accomplished, highly decorated black man who is unquestionably Jack's boss. Yet in the modern show they made him a disgraced case officer who's been reassigned and forced to work a desk where his younger, whiter, employee somehow calls all the shots and in the end redeems Greer's career for him

It's all the more strange to me when you consider what they did to Clark in the first two seasons - giving us characters who we think might be Clark, and are in many ways nods and winks to him, but in the end are revealed to be totally different people. 

But, like you said, the show is still entertaining and works despite all this. So I shouldn't complain - or start my day by writing several too-long paragraphs about it :classic_laugh: 

I didn't even like what they did with Ding in the Clear and Present Danger movie.

And you know...that could be a great story.  Illiterate Hispanic kid with a story arc that ends up with him being a professional CIA operative with a master's from GW University, but still rough around the edges.  Once upon a time, that's a story they would tell to inspire Hispanic kids...y'know, before everything became woke and your minority protagonists had to be absolutely flawless from the start, with no character development.

God, Hollywoke sucks. 

• Applause 2