Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What are we watching/recommend ?

Teddy KGB

Deranged Rhino
2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

3) @Deranged Rhino I don't know what these shots are called, but you can tell me.  There's all sorts of what I'd call "establishing" shots (not B-roll) - little throwaway shots that establish setting, mood, frames of reference, things like that.  One example: Luke training against the drone, after he puts on the helmet and can't see it.  You get a quick three or four second shot of the drone from Luke's now-blind point-of-view.  There's also several Death Star shots of people just walking through hallways.  And the whole sequence before the Death Star battle, of pilots preparing and manning their fighters.  You just don't see those sorts of things today - if it doesn't drive a story point or isn't a set-piece, they don't do it.  But they make Star Wars - the magnificence of the movie is based on how it builds the world and embeds the viewer directly into it, and every one of those shots contributes to that.  

Spot on, and it's a damn shame. There's an old-writer's-room story about either Paul Newman or Robert Redford (I've heard it both ways) blowing up on set at a director who had come over from TV because he was using a stopwatch to make sure no scene ran longer than 3 minutes. Redford (or Newman) apparently said something along the lines of "you TV mother&#%$ers don't understand what makes films films!" 

There used to be a wall between TV creatives and Film creatives. Once that came down during the original golden age of TV (late 90s-early 2000s), it was only a matter of time before the TV side won out. They just had the huge numbers advantage. 

(This post sponsored by DR's Saturday night cocktail)

• Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 11:14 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

Well... I left a bit disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it was very uneven. Definitely the worst of the trilogy. The good parts were pretty great - but just too few. And they made some odd choices (because Gunn is a weird dude, that's my take at least) and spent a lot of time on the body horror elements (very much like his Peace Maker show) rather than the comedy elements. It's worth checking out, but you don't have to rush to see it. 

Re: Nebula - they didn't, but they definitely changed her character model, though they tried to ground it in the story. I'm completely guessing, but there were moments where I thought the actress might have been pregnant during shooting. It could have been the 3D, but if she was pregnant then the changes they made to her design would be a good way to cover up an early baby bump. 

(*Edit - some tabloids are reporting she is pregnant but who knows)

There is a terrific cameo though. Probably can't even call it a cameo because they wound up being in the movie for a good chunk, but it's one you'll appreciate specifically. 

Yeah, the movie was on par with the last Spider-Man.  And it was definitely the weakest of the 3 Guardians movies.

Had heard Gunn was punted from the project; hadn't heard he was brought back, so was REALLY psyched when his name popped up in the opening credits.  Had not expected the movie to be as dark as it was.  Also didn't expect all the F-bombs.  But a lot of the comedy worked (not all, but a lot) and the choice for the final song before the credits were rolling was perfect.  And the explanation about Gamorah being in this one was strangely "right" for this movie.

Looking forward to talking more about this one when people have actually seen it and won't be causing spoilers by saying any more about the movie.

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Looking forward to talking more about this one when people have actually seen it and won't be causing spoilers by saying any more about the movie.

2.1.1.png

Crap Throwing Clavin

If you haven't seen The Meg, it's a decent popcorn movie - goofy, over-the-top giant shark action.  

The Meg 2 looks even nuttier.  Giant megalodon vs. T-Rex.  Set, somehow, to Heart's Barracuda.    :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • FANtastic 1

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 is out September 8th!! I don't care how bad the second one was (and it was terrible), I will be there for the third one hoping it is half as good as the first one (which was fantastic!)

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 2

Deranged Rhino
Just now, Ann said:

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 is out September 8th!! I don't care how bad the second one was (and it was terrible), I will be there for the third one hoping it is half as good as the first one (which was fantastic!)

Same, I'll still go see it. 

Nia is one of the nicest people I've met out here, always rooting for her. Her (ex) husband too, very sad that they didn't last, both are just spectacular humans. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 5/8/2023 at 2:30 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Spoilers abound, obviously... 

With people this brilliant NOT "in" Hollywood, htf do the studios keep screwing stuff up so badly so often?  (Not that GotG3 was screwed up, it's one of the very few Marvel things that haven't been screwed up in it's latest iteration; but so much else ends up unwatchable.)

Doesn't it kind of mean that there have to be really brilliant people IN Hollywood?  (Note, this is comment is in no way shape or form directed at present company.)  Htf does everything keep getting f'd up?

• Like 2

Deranged Rhino
29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

With people this brilliant NOT "in" Hollywood, htf do the studios keep screwing stuff up so badly so often?  (Not that GotG3 was screwed up, it's one of the very few Marvel things that haven't been screwed up in it's latest iteration; but so much else ends up unwatchable.)

Doesn't it kind of mean that there have to be really brilliant people IN Hollywood?  (Note, this is comment is in no way shape or form directed at present company.)  Htf does everything keep getting f'd up?

It's a valid question that I don't have an easy answer to. 

My experience has shown me there are a ton of very talented people in the business - but they've been losing a battle of attrition to the evangelical preachers of "the message" that have been drawn into the industry over the past 10-20 years. Hollywood has always been tilted left, it's always pushed social messages - however in decades past all of that was secondary to the stories/plot/characters themselves. And, more often than not, they sought to subtly seed these messages into the story rather than bludgeon you over the head with them. 

Now there's an entire generation of executives and development people in positions of influence who never learned the lesson Michael Jordan preached: "even republicans buy movie tickets" (paraphrased). 

That's not the entire reason for the current sad state of affairs in the business, but it's a big slice of it. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

An interesting discussion about the above topic

Critical Drinker's analysis is always just spot-on.

I think the biggest problem with the MCU - and most movies, really, given how many are remakes - is they emphasize fan service over story.  The Pitch Meeting for GotG3 kind-of highlights that.  Elements of the movie that don't advance a story or character development, but are just for the audience to briefly cheer then forget about.

• Like 2

Jabba The Hutt
2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

And, for those curious - the story that Gore tells about the showrunner? 99% sure it's Craig Mazin, The Last of Us. I heard the same story. Not that it matters, but it should be noted a large swatch of the younger generation despises him because he wrote The Hangover which is now "problematic". 

... Of course, it was always problematic, that's the funny part of that comedy.

So it's not a shock someone tried to get him in trouble.

Have you ever met Zach Galifianakis or Ed Helms? Bradley Cooper?

Edited by Jabba The Hutt
  • Like 2

Deranged Rhino
Just now, Jabba The Hutt said:

Have you ever met Zach Galifianakis or Ed Helms? Bradley Cooper?

I've met Ed Helms and Cooper several times (worked with Cooper when I was less than a peon). I had to drive Cooper around for a day before he really broke out. And I say the next part with nothing but respect (in no way was he creepy about it or inappropriate) - I've never seen a literal woman magnet before I spent time with Cooper. The guy wasn't big, but the amount of women who'd approach him was wild. I mean, women would stop in their tracks, and then cross the street to try to get his number. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Love 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

And, for those curious - the story that Gore tells about the showrunner? 99% sure it's Craig Mazin, The Last of Us. I heard the same story. Not that it matters, but it should be noted a large swatch of the younger generation despises him because he wrote The Hangover which is now "problematic". 

... Of course, it was always problematic, that's the funny part of that comedy.

So it's not a shock someone tried to get him in trouble.

And the advice "If you have to give bad news, find the hottest, youngest PA to deliver it."  

Is anyone surprised to find out that comes from Michael Bay?  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

Deranged Rhino
Just now, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

And the advice "If you have to give bad news, find the hottest, youngest PA to deliver it."  

Is anyone surprised to find out that comes from Michael Bay?  :classic_laugh:

Nope. The ex was that person on set for him on her first movie (Transformers) :classic_laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • FANtastic 1

Jabba The Hutt
41 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I've met Ed Helms and Cooper several times (worked with Cooper when I was less than a peon). I had to drive Cooper around for a day before he really broke out. And I say the next part with nothing but respect (in no way was he creepy about it or inappropriate) - I've never seen a literal woman magnet before I spent time with Cooper. The guy wasn't big, but the amount of women who'd approach him was wild. I mean, women would stop in their tracks, and then cross the street to try to get his number. 

Thanks for the info about Bradley...all these skanks are ruining my game:crying3:

How was Ed? 

Wondering how Zach is in person...seems like a great dude but some people get those huge egos.

• Like 1

Deranged Rhino
4 minutes ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Thanks for the info about Bradley...all these skanks are ruining my game:crying3:

How was Ed? 

Wondering how Zach is in person...seems like a great dude but some people get those huge egos.

Ed was so normal he was forgettable - which is a high compliment for an actor. The few times I've seen him I was around much more influential writers/producers than myself (which isn't saying much, but you get me) and he still went out of his way to include me in the conversations. 

A writer I worked with once did a polish pass on a script for Zach and said he was a dream to work for. So I imagine he's pretty chill. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1