Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What are we watching/recommend ?

Teddy KGB

@Deranged Rhino am going to see Guardians 3 when it opens this Friday.  Without giving any spoilers (or minimal spoilers), any thoughts on how badly they've F'd this up with James Gunn no longer doing the heavy lifting?

That's been by far the best part of the MCU IMHO.  Am really looking forward to it, but with a ton of trepidation because Marvel has been messing up left and right the last couple of years.  Spider-Man was the only movie that didn't completely stink but wasn't a fan of them wiping him out of his world's collective memory to fix Mysterio's outing Peter at the end of the previous one.

• Like 2

Deranged Rhino
2 hours ago, Taro T said:

@Deranged Rhino am going to see Guardians 3 when it opens this Friday.  Without giving any spoilers (or minimal spoilers), any thoughts on how badly they've F'd this up with James Gunn no longer doing the heavy lifting?

That's been by far the best part of the MCU IMHO.  Am really looking forward to it, but with a ton of trepidation because Marvel has been messing up left and right the last couple of years.  Spider-Man was the only movie that didn't completely stink but wasn't a fan of them wiping him out of his world's collective memory to fix Mysterio's outing Peter at the end of the previous one.

I’ve heard from multiple people that it’s a lot of fun - if a bit long/meandering in the middle. I went from trepidation about it to being genuinely excited to see it this coming weekend. :beer: 

• Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 1

19 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

Never saw Breaking Bad either 

I watched Saul first, and then BB.

I can’t decide which I like better.  Maybe Saul by a bit.

Crap Throwing Clavin
7 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I’ve heard from multiple people that it’s a lot of fun - if a bit long/meandering in the middle. I went from trepidation about it to being genuinely excited to see it this coming weekend. :beer: 

Let me know if they truly did make Nebula a trans dude.  If they didn't, I might see it.  

Of course, movies are too expensive these days to go anything but infrequently.  And Star Wars is showing at the AFI Silver Theater this weekend.  And I realized yesterday that I have never seen Star Wars on the big screen.

Star Wars...Guardians...not exactly Sophie's choice I'm making...

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 hours ago, snafu said:

Read the books.

You can stop at the fourth book though.

The fifth book was an unbridled mess.  It's obvious why Martin never finished the sixth book...because there was no writing his way out of that chaos.

Crap Throwing Clavin

Designated Survivor.

Not exactly "watching," but the wife is streaming it and I caught the first two episodes.  It's like a liberal fever dream of how they wish government really worked (i.e. in a fascist sense, driving social justice.)  Hell, some of the reviews even praise it for that.

I recommend it only if you want to see how terminally &#%$ed Hollywood's vision of government is.  

12 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Designated Survivor.

Not exactly "watching," but the wife is streaming it and I caught the first two episodes.  It's like a liberal fever dream of how they wish government really worked (i.e. in a fascist sense, driving social justice.)  Hell, some of the reviews even praise it for that.

I recommend it only if you want to see how terminally &#%$ed Hollywood's vision of government is.  

Stop watching ASAP.

19 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

You can stop at the fourth book though.

The fifth book was an unbridled mess.  It's obvious why Martin never finished the sixth book...because there was no writing his way out of that chaos.

Better that than the TV alternative.

16 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Let me know if they truly did make Nebula a trans dude.  If they didn't, I might see it. 

Worse: They made her...

Scottish.

I started Letterkenny a while back on Hulu and noticed Shoresy was recommended and I remembered someone posting the short clip of the character hounding some young hockey players while he was working as a ref.  So I started watching the show and it is really funny.  Only 6 episodes so its an easy binge.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:07 AM, LB3 said:

I'm late to the game on this, but Hot Ones on YouTube. Best interview show there is, hands down.

Agree. The Chef Ramsey episode was pretty epic.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

(Felt like the best thread for this... #legend)

Or, as Oliver Reed called it, "on the wagon."

• Haha 4

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

(Felt like the best thread for this... #legend)

And you know, I was just thinking of him in this movie last night, too.  My favorite line in the movie:

"They just walk around eating...and not mating.  You sold me...queer giraffes."

• Haha 3

Deranged Rhino
On 4/30/2023 at 5:59 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Of course, movies are too expensive these days to go anything but infrequently.  And Star Wars is showing at the AFI Silver Theater this weekend.  And I realized yesterday that I have never seen Star Wars on the big screen.

Well... I left a bit disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it was very uneven. Definitely the worst of the trilogy. The good parts were pretty great - but just too few. And they made some odd choices (because Gunn is a weird dude, that's my take at least) and spent a lot of time on the body horror elements (very much like his Peace Maker show) rather than the comedy elements. It's worth checking out, but you don't have to rush to see it. 

Re: Nebula - they didn't, but they definitely changed her character model, though they tried to ground it in the story. I'm completely guessing, but there were moments where I thought the actress might have been pregnant during shooting. It could have been the 3D, but if she was pregnant then the changes they made to her design would be a good way to cover up an early baby bump. 

(*Edit - some tabloids are reporting she is pregnant but who knows)

There is a terrific cameo though. Probably can't even call it a cameo because they wound up being in the movie for a good chunk, but it's one you'll appreciate specifically. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 4/30/2023 at 8:59 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Just got back from seeing Star Wars on the big screen.  Three observations:

1) Lucas' insertion of CGI into the original is jarring on the big screen.  It's such an inconsistent visual that it stood out awkwardly.  Han's scene with Jabba, in particular...yes, I know it was originally filmed, with a humanoid Jabba.  But that scene was not only badly done with CGI, but unnecessary (half the dialog was from the Greedo scene - I get the sense they shot the Greedo scene after they realized the original Jabba scene didn't work).

2) The pacing is damn near perfect on the big screen.  Watching it on a television, I always felt pacing was slightly uneven, dragging in some places (e.g. some of the dialog scenes after the Death Star escape.)  On the big screen...it's tight, no unnecessary or wasted frames (save the later-inserted CGI - Lucas, you're an idiot).  Even some of the scenes you'd think would drag - the Cantina introduction, with shots of all the creatures - flow easily and don't feel the least bit bogged down.

3) @Deranged Rhino I don't know what these shots are called, but you can tell me.  There's all sorts of what I'd call "establishing" shots (not B-roll) - little throwaway shots that establish setting, mood, frames of reference, things like that.  One example: Luke training against the drone, after he puts on the helmet and can't see it.  You get a quick three or four second shot of the drone from Luke's now-blind point-of-view.  There's also several Death Star shots of people just walking through hallways.  And the whole sequence before the Death Star battle, of pilots preparing and manning their fighters.  You just don't see those sorts of things today - if it doesn't drive a story point or isn't a set-piece, they don't do it.  But they make Star Wars - the magnificence of the movie is based on how it builds the world and embeds the viewer directly into it, and every one of those shots contributes to that.  

Some of the scenes and effects may look corny and dated now, and the dialog can be painful as hell (and I still want to know why Carrie Fisher affects a British accent when she's talking to Peter Cushing).  But on the big screen, you realize there's not a single wasted frame in the entire movie.

Every modern producer, director, and editor should be forced to watch this film at least once a year, to re-educate them on how to properly block, film, and edit a movie.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Jabba The Hutt
12 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Just got back from seeing Star Wars on the big screen.  Three observations:

1) Lucas' insertion of CGI into the original is jarring on the big screen.  It's such an inconsistent visual that it stood out awkwardly.  Han's scene with Jabba, in particular...yes, I know it was originally filmed, with a humanoid Jabba.  But that scene was not only badly done with CGI, but unnecessary (half the dialog was from the Greedo scene - I get the sense they shot the Greedo scene after they realized the original Jabba scene didn't work).

2) The pacing is damn near perfect on the big screen.  Watching it on a television, I always felt pacing was slightly uneven, dragging in some places (e.g. some of the dialog scenes after the Death Star escape.)  On the big screen...it's tight, no unnecessary or wasted frames (save the later-inserted CGI - Lucas, you're an idiot).  Even some of the scenes you'd think would drag - the Cantina introduction, with shots of all the creatures - flow easily and don't feel the least bit bogged down.

3) @Deranged Rhino I don't know what these shots are called, but you can tell me.  There's all sorts of what I'd call "establishing" shots (not B-roll) - little throwaway shots that establish setting, mood, frames of reference, things like that.  One example: Luke training against the drone, after he puts on the helmet and can't see it.  You get a quick three or four second shot of the drone from Luke's now-blind point-of-view.  There's also several Death Star shots of people just walking through hallways.  And the whole sequence before the Death Star battle, of pilots preparing and manning their fighters.  You just don't see those sorts of things today - if it doesn't drive a story point or isn't a set-piece, they don't do it.  But they make Star Wars - the magnificence of the movie is based on how it builds the world and embeds the viewer directly into it, and every one of those shots contributes to that.  

Some of the scenes and effects may look corny and dated now, and the dialog can be painful as hell (and I still want to know why Carrie Fisher affects a British accent when she's talking to Peter Cushing).  But on the big screen, you realize there's not a single wasted frame in the entire movie.

Every modern producer, director, and editor should be forced to watch this film at least once a year, to re-educate them on how to properly block, film, and edit a movie.  

How dare you! Any scene with Jabba works... especially when Salacious Crumb is involved:crying3:

Edited by Jabba The Hutt