Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Sabres '20?- '21 season - Kreuger's Replacement?

GG1

1 minute ago, snafu said:

I can certainly see that as a likelihood. But if the top of the draft is a pick ‘em, then I’d go for the poor mans Toews. Strong up the middle is just as important and I think they need C more than D — especially if they can upgrade G.

Is there much out there to suggest that it is a pick’em though? Everything I’ve seen leans very heavily towards Power. 

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

Is there much out there to suggest that it is a pick’em though? Everything I’ve seen leans very heavily towards Power. 

Well unfortunately this team had me looking at prospects and articles a couple months ago and the top names have shifted around all spring. One name pops to the top and then another. To me, there’s today’s consensus (Power) but he really wasn’t there all along. I suppose this team has so many holes that BPA certainly applies. I just want more forwards that know the right way to play. I think that’s the bigger glaring hole. 

BPA is the only way to go with the first overall pick. That’s IF you use the pick. If they want someone else, they need to maximize this asset and not just pick down the board. You don’t climb out of the current shithole by taking the lesser value.

That said, it’s been ages now since we’ve seen the top pick moved, so I’m fully expecting Power and I’m content with that. We certainly have a lot of chips in play right now that can bring in the needed talent up front. Whether it’s Eichel or his return, we should have someone ahead of Cozens and Mitts on the center depth chart. 

• Like 1

Alaska Darin

This isn't the NFL draft.   The current "BPA" isn't necessarily the guy that projects to have the best NHL career. 

Of all the drafts to get the first overall pick, this is probably the worst.  I'm really curious to see how this all shakes out.

Alaska Darin

I said it when Lucky Louie and Trotz got hired.  Those dudes are smart and they don't make mistakes.  Pegs shoulda given Lamoriello a lifetime contract and gotten the &#%$ out of his way.   He knows how to win.

Thank God the Laffs are arrogant.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I said it when Lucky Louie and Trotz got hired.  Those dudes are smart and they don't make mistakes.  Pegs shoulda given Lamoriello a lifetime contract and gotten the &#%$ out of his way.   He knows how to win.

I got a ton of grief ATOP a couple years back for saying how I wished Lou was running things in Buffalo.  People said they'd stop watching the Sabres if Lou was running the show and they were playing his brand of hockey.  I asked them if they don't like watching winning.  Stupid, MFers.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
56 minutes ago, snafu said:

I got a ton of grief ATOP a couple years back for saying how I wished Lou was running things in Buffalo.  People said they'd stop watching the Sabres if Lou was running the show and they were playing his brand of hockey.  I asked them if they don't like watching winning.  Stupid, MFers.

The Islanders aren't playing the trap.  I can understand why people didn't like watching the Devils back in the day because the trap ruined hockey for a long time.  If the Devils got a 2 goal lead in any game, you might as well get in the car/turn the channel because the game was over.  It bothered me more than anything because they had so much hockey talent that they coulda won playing wide open hockey.  Stevens, Daneyko, Neidermeyer, & Rafalski on the blueline.   Elias, Gomez, Sykora, Arnott, Holik, Mogiiny, Scotty Gomez, and the chronically underrated John Madden up front.

But you're right, I remember that conversation.  You can't really play the trap the same way anymore.  And so far, the Islanders/Bruins series has been easily the most entertaining of the playoffs.  So that argument is already moot.

47 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The Islanders aren't playing the trap.  I can understand why people didn't like watching the Devils back in the day because the trap ruined hockey for a long time.  If the Devils got a 2 goal lead in any game, you might as well get in the car/turn the channel because the game was over.  It bothered me more than anything because they had so much hockey talent that they coulda won playing wide open hockey.  Stevens, Daneyko, Neidermeyer, & Rafalski on the blueline.   Elias, Gomez, Sykora, Arnott, Holik, Mogiiny, Scotty Gomez, and the chronically underrated John Madden up front.

But you're right, I remember that conversation.  You can't really play the trap the same way anymore.  And so far, the Islanders/Bruins series has been easily the most entertaining of the playoffs.  So that argument is already moot.

Last night, I was watching and said to myself that I wouldn’t mind if this series went another six games.

And I was talking to a guy at work today and he asked me if that third period last night was trapping hockey. I told him the Islanders weren’t playing a trap. They were playing high level old school hockey where the other team is required to fight through all three zones because there was support for just about each attacking player.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

And Lamiorello started with the trap because his owner (McMullen) was a cheapskate.  He kept it up because in an era where interference isn't just tolerated it's almost celebrated, it worked.

It hasn't worked since '05.  Though a heavy, low event style (thinking of you, LA) has had success in the post season.  But the Kings didn't trap & neither do the Aisles.

PS - hadn't seen your post here before posting in the Playoffs thread.

Edited by Taro T

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 4:14 PM, plenzmd1 said:

man, this Vegas-Habs series seems like a Sabres alumni game.... ...Byron, Armia, McNabb, Lehner....

Don't forget Carrier and McNabb.

• Like 1