Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Sabres '20?- '21 season - Kreuger's Replacement?

GG1

On 5/11/2021 at 7:23 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Yea, this is a weird one. Don’t think it’s as cut and dried as everyone making it out to be. Look forward to hearing what KA has to say. 

Hate quoting myself, but yep, appears to be more to the story. 

I think Jack did this on purpose, intentionally lying to get the fans to turn against him to and make it easier for the team to trade him and not incur the wrath of the fan base. 

ya know, it worked on me. 

The difference in attitude between the   Long term players and the new kids was stark. Sam, Risto, Jack all scared by the losing and joke coaches. They all have to go in my mind. 

I like @snafusuggestion of taking less, maybe dramatically less to get skinner of the books in a Jack trade. 

Not sure you will get much for Sam as he will he UFA in one years time , but can what you can. 

Risto hopefully goes. in the draft. 

For those who remember and smarter than me on this stuff, if they  trade Jack and get a good to pretty good 1c and one other part, how would this team compare to the islanders when Torres left? ( assume we actually get some decent goaltenders). 

56 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think Jack did this on purpose, intentionally lying to get the fans to turn against him to and make it easier for the team to trade him and not incur the wrath of the fan base. 

The difference in attitude between the   Long term players and the new kids was stark. Sam, Risto, Jack all scared by the losing and joke coaches. They all have to go in my mind. 

I like @snafusuggestion of taking less, maybe dramatically less to get skinner of the books in a Jack trade. 

Not sure you will get much for Sam as he will he UFA in one years time , but can what you can. 

For those who remember and smarter than me on this stuff, if they  trade Jack and get a good to pretty good 1c and one other part, how would this team compare to the islanders when Torres left? ( assume we actually get some decent goaltenders). 

The other parallel could be the handwringing when Red Sox got rid of Nomar Garsiaparra.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I’d keep Sam and Risto. Sam played well when Eichel wasn’t around and they dumped Kruger.  Ristolainen had what I thought was his most steady and productive season with or without Eichel and no matter what coach.

As for Tavares, if I remember right he told the Islanders that he’d negotiate a new deal at the end of the season (he was an unrestricted FA). Then he signed with Toronto without giving the Islanders a second glance.  The fans were so pissed off. 

22 hours ago, snafu said:

I’d keep Sam and Risto. Sam played well when Eichel wasn’t around and they dumped Kruger.  Ristolainen had what I thought was his most steady and productive season with or without Eichel and no matter what coach.

As for Tavares, if I remember right he told the Islanders that he’d negotiate a new deal at the end of the season (he was an unrestricted FA). Then he signed with Toronto without giving the Islanders a second glance.  The fans were so pissed off. 

Yes, Tavares! Torres hahah! 

I get they played well, but both sounded miserable as hell, understandably after the last 5 seasons... and both sounded like they were leaving next year no matter what! Risto one year left on deal, Sam RFA , 1 year to UFA.  Can’t see him signing long term. And where do they even fit in another large 7 years deal? 

trade him now at the height of his value, and a aid the Tavares situation. 

if you protect Risto, have to expose some of the younger, not scarred defensemen. No thanks. 

All 3 gots to go, if they stay and start say 3-5-1, the room and attitude will be the same.. here we go again we Suck! 

• 2 weeks later...

It’s the most obvious “get your heads out of your asses” signal that they can possibly get. Hopefully they pay attention. You’d have to think that the league isn’t too crazy about it. 

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
On 5/29/2021 at 12:42 PM, shrader said:

It’s the most obvious “get your heads out of your asses” signal that they can possibly get. Hopefully they pay attention. You’d have to think that the league isn’t too crazy about it. 

The league can't possibly be.  As much as everyone nationally likes to downplay Buffalo, it's an anchor market for the NHL.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

The league can't possibly be.  As much as everyone nationally likes to downplay Buffalo, it's an anchor market for the NHL.

Yeah, if anyone is a bettor, probably a good year to take the Sabres 'miraculously' coming up on the right side of that ~18% chance of winning the lottery tomorrow night.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

16 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, if anyone is a bettor, probably a good year to take the Sabres 'miraculously' coming up on the right side of that ~18% chance of winning the lottery tomorrow night.

In a year where the first overall pick won’t move the needle one bit for most fans. But at least Power actually got to play this year unlike some of the kids up in juniors. 

10 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Woo hoo, we're #1!!!

Sabres win the lottery for the top pick.

Adams is "proud" the team earned this.  Shoot me now.

Figured they'd get this pick when the TV ratings came out.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Adams is "proud" the team earned this.  Shoot me now.

Figured they'd get this pick when the TV ratings came out.

Let's at least hope for the blind squirrel moment in the draft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Let's at least hope for the blind squirrel moment in the draft.

They should get a good player but this is the year that being #1 overall has the least value as so much was screwy this year.

Guess signing Hall paid off after all.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Guess signing Hall paid off after all.

I honestly don't understand the reference.  Is it because he sucked so badly on the team?

31 minutes ago, GG1 said:

I honestly don't understand the reference.  Is it because he sucked so badly on the team?

Edmonton won something like 4 lotteries w/ Hall.  Joisey won the lottery w/ Hall.

Hall comes to Buffalo, Buffalo wins the lottery.  You don't just trade for/sign him, you add the 1st overall pick to your haul when you get him.  He TRULY brings the "intangibles." 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, snafu said:

As of now, I want them to take the Centerman from Michigan.

https://thehockeywriters.com/matthew-beniers-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Power is going first overall and I have no reason to think that we will see the pick moved. This team can fairly quickly (but not quickly enough) have an elite blue line. Personally, I think that’s the best foundation any team can have short of a McDavid level player walking through the front door. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, shrader said:

Power is going first overall and I have no reason to think that we will see the pick moved. This team can fairly quickly (but not quickly enough) have an elite blue line. Personally, I think that’s the best foundation any team can have short of a McDavid level player walking through the front door. 

I can certainly see that as a likelihood. But if the top of the draft is a pick ‘em, then I’d go for the poor mans Toews. Strong up the middle is just as important and I think they need C more than D — especially if they can upgrade G.