Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Coaches and Front Office

Hedge

Blessed Believer
On 1/27/2024 at 12:44 PM, Alaska Darin said:

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Hmmmm. The guy couldn’t do much with a pretty good defense in Philadelphia …..so why would we want him? 

Blessed Believer
3 hours ago, Augie said:

He did a great job with the safeties, then worked magic just being able to put LB’s on the field at the end. Well deserved! 

I hope Babich sends a thank you card to Brian Daboll and Joe Schoen for this promotion. 

Alaska Darin
13 minutes ago, Blessed Believer said:

Hmmmm. The guy couldn’t do much with a pretty good defense in Philadelphia …..so why would we want him? 

Every situation isn't created equal.  There's some prevailing thought around the NFL that Sirianni is the problem in Philly and everyone else is taking the heat because Howie is basically untouchable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Spartacus
35 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The story from Syracuse.com:

The article definitely implies that Butler tanked Elam's career to date in Buffalo.

Hopefully new blood makes a difference. 

• Like 2

Uncle Joe
1 hour ago, Ninety-4 said:

Glad to see them reaching outside the org for coaches.

"Oh no, William and Mary won't do"

• Haha 5
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

John Butler dishes on split with Bills and desire to be ‘in charge’

</snip>

With a logjam of options on staff, after Leslie Frazier abruptly departed last winter, Bills head coach Sean McDermott three weeks ago finally named linebackers coach Bobby Babich the club’s next defensive coordinator.

“Bobby’s going to do a great job,” Butler said from his offseason home at the Jersey Shore. “It really just came down to us both feeling we were qualified to do the job. We both still are. The decision doesn’t change anything.

“But once that decision is made, it’s time for me to see if I can be a coordinator somewhere else. I’m at my best when I’m in charge. I ran the secondary for six years, but there’s a ceiling there.”

So Butler left. A year remaining on his contract. No job offers pending.

Butler’s exit was called a “mutual parting of the ways,” a euphemism often used by companies instead of “it would be too embarrassing if we explained what truly happened.” McDermott’s staff has lost several assistants over the years, some for promotions but others willing to leave for lateral roles. Within the past year, Frazier and Butler abandoned their posts with nowhere to go.

Yet there is no scandal, Butler asserted. He said this divorce was legitimately amicable.

“People are probably wondering why a guy who’s had so much production and so many great things to say about the organization is leaving,” Butler said. “There doesn’t have to be a crazy story behind it. I just want to run a defense in the NFL or college football. I want that opportunity, and I don’t want to wait.”

</snip>

• Like 1

Undeterred in Super Bowl pursuit, Bills coach Sean McDermott says “when, not if”

</snip>

Offseason questions have gotten repetitive for McDermott, who this week is attending his eighth NFL Scouting Combine as Bills head coach. He still hasn’t taken his team to the Super Bowl. Three straight years, the Bills have been eliminated in the second round of the playoffs. A faction of displeased fans wants to move on, convinced McDermott is squandering quarterback Josh Allen’s superpowers.

McDermott is aware of this. He’s also aware his mentor-turned-perennial AFC obstacle Andy Reid endured similar criticism when they were with the Philadelphia Eagles together. Reid fired McDermott, and the Eagles eventually fired Reid, who since has won three Super Bowls with the Kansas City Chiefs and looks like a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

“It’s not a matter of if. It’s just a matter of when,” McDermott said of winning a Lombardi Trophy. “That is the relentless pursuit.”

</snip>

• Like 1

IDBillzFan
On 2/20/2024 at 9:26 AM, Ann said:

John Butler dishes on split with Bills and desire to be ‘in charge’

</snip>

With a logjam of options on staff, after Leslie Frazier abruptly departed last winter, Bills head coach Sean McDermott three weeks ago finally named linebackers coach Bobby Babich the club’s next defensive coordinator.

“Bobby’s going to do a great job,” Butler said from his offseason home at the Jersey Shore. “It really just came down to us both feeling we were qualified to do the job. We both still are. The decision doesn’t change anything.

“But once that decision is made, it’s time for me to see if I can be a coordinator somewhere else. I’m at my best when I’m in charge. I ran the secondary for six years, but there’s a ceiling there.”

So Butler left. A year remaining on his contract. No job offers pending.

Butler’s exit was called a “mutual parting of the ways,” a euphemism often used by companies instead of “it would be too embarrassing if we explained what truly happened.” McDermott’s staff has lost several assistants over the years, some for promotions but others willing to leave for lateral roles. Within the past year, Frazier and Butler abandoned their posts with nowhere to go.

Yet there is no scandal, Butler asserted. He said this divorce was legitimately amicable.

“People are probably wondering why a guy who’s had so much production and so many great things to say about the organization is leaving,” Butler said. “There doesn’t have to be a crazy story behind it. I just want to run a defense in the NFL or college football. I want that opportunity, and I don’t want to wait.”

</snip>

Another !Timmah! special: The New Drama In Buffalo Is No Drama, And I Spoke To Famous Athletes Who Were Eager To Call Me (Back After I Called Them First!) To Confirm There Is No Drama!  :classic_laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...